What the hell... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What the hell...

...is going on with my Jeep?

Okay, here's the situation. Have 3.25" RC lift, 5.13s, 35" KM2s.

I have something loose under the hood that I can FEEL (no sound) through the accelerator, brake, and steering wheel (basically anything attached to the firewall). It is like a knock or rattle that only happens after the JK is warm, like a half hour on the highway type warm. It does not speed up or slow down based on acceleration or braking. Just seems to happen over small bumps or going around curves in the road. To be clear, there is no change in steering, no DW, no bumpsteer.

I have re-torqued everything related to the lift and I loosened and re-torqued all the control arms at the new ride height. I've had my wife sit in the jeep and move the steering wheel around while I'm under the Jeep...nothing.

So what the hell gets loose only when the Jeep is warm, but seems to be related to bumps and curves in the road???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Rock God

Have you done all this checking after the jeep is really warmed up?

LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Wheeler

Sounds like it could be the issue in the steering shaft that lots of people have reported. Search for steering clunk and see if this might be the issue. I had the same problem on my old JK and replaced the steering shaft and it went away. Others have gotten away with filling the boot on the shaft with 5th wheel grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yep, mostly because it was annoying the crap out of me so I jumped out as soon as I got home and got under there immediately with a torque wrench.

Can't say that its really affecting anything, but just feels like something is knocking around under there and that's a bit disconcerting. I'm half tempted to chalk it up to a "jeep thing."

I was thinking steering linkage might be the issue...hmmm.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Anybody know the sway bar retaining bolt (4) torque stats? I'm showing 45ft/lbs, but that seems low. I did get about a half turn on each of those, but I highly doubt that's enough to make much difference.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Rock God

I can get that torque spec at home, or its online here in the general section for download.

Mine has the steering clunk from time to time, I just ignore it. I bet thats what yours is. Mine will do it moving the wheel back and forth just a little when sitting still.

LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Steering clunk.

Grease the boot and I bet you don't have the issue anymore.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
Steering clunk.

Grease the boot and I bet you don't have the issue anymore.
That's what I'm narrowing it down to. So you guys are just popping a hole in that intermediate boot and putting grease in with a needle?

Also, I found another source for the retaining bracket bolts on the sway bar that said 75ft-lbs. That seems more realistic.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
scf
Wheeler

There's a heat shield just under the driver's side that can come loose. Bangs against the floor board, and feels like it's coming thru the pedals/floor/etc...
post #10 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's pretty apparent that the steering boot was intended as a dust boot only...or never filled with grease from the factory. Just by grabbing it I could tell there was nothing in there. It took me a good 40 pumps on the grease gun before it started to "plump up" a bit.

I'm assuming this was my issue, but I'll let you guys know if I find out otherwise.

Thanks for all the help guys!
post #11 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Best bet is the steering shaft knock. Grab it at the slip joint, which is covered by the rubber boot, and see if you can move it up & down. I put a bunch of grease inside the boot on mine and it reduced it a bit, but it's still there. I may just get another one. It's really annoying on the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode