Yep- Trektop, revisited - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003
Yep- Trektop, revisited

Ok all- I know a lot of folks have a hard-on for the ORH top, but I'm not so keen on a company that's: A. Canadian (see South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut ), and B. got its own name mispelled (it's HeroEs, canucks!)... So, I'm looking into a Trektop. I've read how the 1st gen sucked moose balls, but I'd be getting one of the newer ones. This will be a present from my brand new wifey (so far, cost me less than the JK... so far ), so it is not allowed to suck.

We're HOPEFULLY going to be moving to FL before winter gets TOO gnarly, BUT, I have to ask, as I'll be in upstate NY (below zero a LOT, around or below freezing 4-5 months out of the year) until at least December:

How well does this top insulate? I don't mind being cold (I drive a Wrangler, for God's sakes!), but I don't want drafty as hell. For instance, I currently am running a bikini top, wraparound windjammer, and duster cover, and don't find that too bad, except it leaks at the top of the doors.

I want to hear experiences from NJ and points north about these tops in the frosty times. I want to hear about issues with the NEW ones ONLY, and I want to know if I'm being a dumbass getting this. Thanks! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
How well does this top insulate?
I would say that it does not insulate at all, i mean its probably not even 1/16" thick. The heater blows hot enough so that you cant hold your hand in front of it he vents for very long, so that should keep you warm. Keep in mind, i live in south louisiana, it dont get cold here.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #3 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

The header on my trektop never fit right. I had air blowing in from both corners where it wouldn't seat against the windshield. I sold it. The new owner replaced the bestop header with a factory header and he's happy with it.

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Ok all- I know a lot of folks have a hard-on for the ORH top, but I'm not so keen on a company that's: A. Canadian (see South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut ), and B. got its own name mispelled (it's HeroEs, canucks!)... So, I'm looking into a Trektop. I've read how the 1st gen sucked moose balls, but I'd be getting one of the newer ones. This will be a present from my brand new wifey (so far, cost me less than the JK... so far ), so it is not allowed to suck.

We're HOPEFULLY going to be moving to FL before winter gets TOO gnarly, BUT, I have to ask, as I'll be in upstate NY (below zero a LOT, around or below freezing 4-5 months out of the year) until at least December:

How well does this top insulate? I don't mind being cold (I drive a Wrangler, for God's sakes!), but I don't want drafty as hell. For instance, I currently am running a bikini top, wraparound windjammer, and duster cover, and don't find that too bad, except it leaks at the top of the doors.

I want to hear experiences from NJ and points north about these tops in the frosty times. I want to hear about issues with the NEW ones ONLY, and I want to know if I'm being a dumbass getting this. Thanks! Mark W.
I run the newest Trektop full time. I sold my hardtop because I am so impressed with the Trektop. I have another JK with the factory soft top and I like the Trektop better, mostly because of the look and the fast back that is nice to have on tight wooded trails.
I've never had a water leak anywhere...period It gets down to 20 degrees below zero here in Colorado during the winter and it stays warm in the cab with the heater on. There are no air leaks, however, the header area does create more noise than the factory soft top. With full soft doors and the Trektop, you will get outside elements in the cab for sure, especially if it is very windy. The factory full hard doors are perfect with the Trektop.
I have had 0 issues. Best top I've ever owned.

Off-road.com
JK Project
Recession Cheap Cherokee
JK Project 2
post #5 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you can run topless in florida during winter so you should be fine down here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #6 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 AM
JKO Addict!

you saw the DC winter this year? I was running the trektop the entire time. Product review is waiting to be uploaded.

Best fucking investment for my JK evar just keep a old queen size sheet in the back, remove top, place sheet on "inside" when you lay it on the ground, fold windows in on sheet, fold sheet over windows, roll up into tight tube, toss in back.
5min removal and it does not leak...like my factory top did
post #7 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Sweet- thanks for the reviews, guys- yeah, I run 35" KM2's daily- noise isn't a biggie to me Water dripping on my lap all the time (like with the bikini top) is- thanks! Going to PM PhilD right about now... Mark W.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

minor hijack..... is anyone running the windjammer on a 4dr behind the rear seats? If so how is it? How much flappity-flappity?

same question for the extended duster on the 4dr
post #9 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I'm not so keen on a company that's: A. Canadian (see South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut ), and B. got its own name mispelled (it's HeroEs, canucks!)... So, I'm looking into a Trektop.

Make friends much??

Betcha the Trek top is made in China, just like everything else American!

Seriously, just cause you don't like Canadians your going to shy away from a better product?

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #10 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Hah- it's a joke, amigo Honestly, I'm shying away from it because I've heard a few horror stories where people got left holding the bag when they had problems. Also, that it's not a known and reputable company like Bestop. I don't like that there aren't ANY dealers I've yet found that sell them (feel free to correct me there), and that my repeated e-mails to them have yet gone unanswered (been 2+ weeks now).
If you've read my posts in the past, you'll see I'm a goof- I'm never serious- thus, why I cited South Park as a reference to why Canadian is bad- really? Mark W.

post #11 of 18 Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Hah- it's a joke, amigo Honestly, I'm shying away from it because I've heard a few horror stories where people got left holding the bag when they had problems. Also, that it's not a known and reputable company like Bestop. I don't like that there aren't ANY dealers I've yet found that sell them (feel free to correct me there), and that my repeated e-mails to them have yet gone unanswered (been 2+ weeks now).
If you've read my posts in the past, you'll see I'm a goof- I'm never serious- thus, why I cited South Park as a reference to why Canadian is bad- really? Mark W.
No worries, I figured you were just bustung some balls for the fun of it! As for ORH, Tim is at best unreliable when it comes to emails or phone calls, but his product is kick ass, I have one of his tops and it rocks, there were some teething problems, but the top rocks! Yes you have to wait but In my honest opinion it was worth it! having said that, if I were to order now there would be no way in heck I'd get it in time to enjoy it this summer, If you can wait 3 months then the ORH top is worth it, but if you want it right now, then Bestop is the way to go! As for Tim, if you have a problem he seams to get you answers pretty fast, if you have a general question you may have to wait awhile, also he has a few email addresses, the ORH one and the one for California tops! (same company, same top, same Tim), try calling him you get better and faster service that way!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #12 of 18 Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Granite Guru

trektop

I ran mine year around and I love it,I'm in jersey and it gets pretty cold in the winter,mine is a second gen. I'm very happy with it.
ok there are some minor leaks from the top corner of the doors when the rain it's heavy but we are JEEPERS not whiners.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had one. Hated it and returned it. That was a few months ago. It ripped at the seam in the rear side window the size of a baseball during install. The header was a major PITA to take off and on... it was so tight you could barely get the bolt hole to line up over the footman loop to get the hand screw in.. Not a fan. I decided to wait for a ORH top.

Project Blue Bruin Build-Up Blog:

M416 Offroad Trailer Build:
post #14 of 18 Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebruin View Post
I had one. Hated it and returned it. That was a few months ago. It ripped at the seam in the rear side window the size of a baseball during install. The header was a major PITA to take off and on... it was so tight you could barely get the bolt hole to line up over the footman loop to get the hand screw in.. Not a fan. I decided to wait for a ORH top.

I had the EXACT same experience. It seemed like it wasn't wide enough at the back of the back doors. My knuckles would bleed trying to get it over both sides of the frame - I could if it was like 100 degrees and I left it in the sun to warm it. As soon as I would crank up the AC/Heat blower and get passed on a 2 lane by a big rig, I would hear the velcro cut loose and see daylight from over one of the back doors. If there was any rain, it would then poor in the opening.

My wife would make fun of me when I came in from putting the top on, dripping with sweat, knuckles bloody...this may have sped up my return. Sucks, because I loved the way it looked and being able to open it up quickly. She hated it - too noisy on the highway.

Now I just use the hard top. I'm going to install a lift in the garage and make taking it off a snap - Just got a roof rack that I will use to hoist it by. At least Bestop gave no hassel with return...
post #15 of 18 Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconGT View Post
I had the EXACT same experience. It seemed like it wasn't wide enough at the back of the back doors. My knuckles would bleed trying to get it over both sides of the frame - I could if it was like 100 degrees and I left it in the sun to warm it. As soon as I would crank up the AC/Heat blower and get passed on a 2 lane by a big rig, I would hear the velcro cut loose and see daylight from over one of the back doors. If there was any rain, it would then poor in the opening.

My wife would make fun of me when I came in from putting the top on, dripping with sweat, knuckles bloody...this may have sped up my return. Sucks, because I loved the way it looked and being able to open it up quickly. She hated it - too noisy on the highway.

Now I just use the hard top. I'm going to install a lift in the garage and make taking it off a snap - Just got a roof rack that I will use to hoist it by. At least Bestop gave no hassel with return...
yeah, I had no problem returning, I bought mine from Quadratec. I didn't have as much trouble with the back as I did getting the front header. It was so hard to put on (and its NEVER 100 deg up here in the mountains!) I couldn't see myself goind it every time I wanted to jump in the jeep for a quick trip. I figured what's the point of a soft top if its not quick and easy. I'm back to my hard top too. Can't get confirmation from Tim at ORH that his top will work with my Gobi rack. If I can't garantee he'll let me return it if it doesn't work, I'm not throwing down that kinda cash. Did love the look of that trektop when it was one though.

Project Blue Bruin Build-Up Blog:

M416 Offroad Trailer Build:
post #16 of 18 Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ok- so I picked up a barely used Trektop today from a guy on LI for $100- can't beat that price! Thanks for the input, guys- wish me luck Mark W.

post #17 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Wheeler

TrekTop

I was wondering what your opinion was of the Trektop you picked up? Good, bad, indifferent? I'm also thinking about pulling the trigger on this top and was curious how yours turned out.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ah- well, the one I got is the dreaded 1st gen...
And I love it! No leaks, wind noise is minimal, and it's not awful to put on or take off. I'm a bit anxious for winter, as I've noticed rain pools on top of the front panel, so snow will be just as bad, if not worse. But I have a cover, so...
Go for it, and be ready for a long backorder Mark W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode