Newbie in need of suggestions on how to modify my JK Jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Newbie in need of suggestions on how to modify my JK Jeep

I have a JK 2009 4 door jeep unlimited with stock wheels and lift. I am 5'5" (short) but would like to lift my jeep and make it a little more rugged looking. I do drive on the beach and no mountain (rock) climbing. This is my primary vehicle. I would like wider tires and some lift to it. Please help me. I went to a 4x4 and he suggested 35" tires and 4" lift. I think this is too much what are your thoughts. I am new at all this and really don't understand some of the "mod language"

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Rock God

Take your time. Don't get impatient. Read the forums and be active. Look around at pictures, see what you like and read builds.

If you are primarily going for visual aesthetics and not offroad functionality, then you should have an easy time - just pick out what looks good.

If all you're looking for is a little more aggressive look, it seems that the big popular setup involves... a 2.5" budget boost lift of some kind, some 35x12.5 tires, with new rims(wheels) with 3.75" of backspacing OR in leiu of wheels some wheel spacers on the stock rims - such as the spydertrax ones.

But like I said... take your time, don't rush out and buy stuff you'll be replacing in a few months when you fall in love with something else.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

A 2.5'' lift from TeraFlex will clear 35's. I installed on mine and very happy so far. I did go with Blackrock wheels with 4.25'' of backspacing. You will have to switch from your factory wheels to something with more backspacing or go with wheel spacers for the extra clearence.

Also my two cents go with a coil lift. I've had mine on and it seems like it handles just as well as it did stock. And if you go with 4'' of lift you have to adjust the drive shaft angle and you dont if you go with 3'' of lift or less. Hope this helps a little

"It's inhabitants are as the man once said all the pimps, whores and sons of bitches by which he meant everybody" J. Steinbeck

TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift/Shocks, 35X12.50's, Black Rock Wheels, TeraFlex Steering Stabalizer, 4.88 gears, aFe CAI, aFe throttle body spacer. Finish Line West Gen 4.0 rear bumper, River Raider Evap Skid, Superchips-tuned. Smittybuilt SRC Front Bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode