Who has Full and Half Doors or gone from one to the other? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Who has Full and Half Doors or gone from one to the other?

This probably sounds crazy, but I'm considering trading my half doors for full doors. Not sure how serious I am though.

Just wonder if someone has both or have gone from half to full.

Half doors are awesome when the top is down, but I think that is where it ends. The downside are the windows. Can just crack the window to get air (easily). ATM, drive-thru, etc. in the rain is a major PITA. Zipping the window down it comes to the inside - great if the windows are clean but sucks if they're dirty - both from getting work clothes dirty to worrying about scratching the plastic.

Before I get inundated with PM's about trading, if I did trade, I would only trade with someone had Detonator Yellow full doors in excellent condition (just like my half doors). I don't want to get into having to paint etc. You might also have to pony up a little cash. Again, I don't know how serious I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 06-22-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wonder if Bestop is going to come out with half door window sliders like they have for the TJ.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealxam View Post
The full doors are nice, I really liked how much quieter they were.
After ripping out the carpet and putting on big ol' mud tires, it doesn't matter much though.
They weigh a ton to put on and take off too - my wife wouldn't have been able to lift them.
I love the half doors.
They're definately a serious committment, but they're the only way to go IMHO.
You can get the doorless feeling every time you put your top down.
I've had both types of doors on a JK and I plan on never have another jeep with full doors.
That is a huge benefit and is the part of me that says I shouldn't get rid of the half doors.

, Granite,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You'll kick yourself if you do get rid of them, but I understand your complaint. I just wish Jeep would offer up a dual door option. That would be the way to go.
post #5 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
You'll kick yourself if you do get rid of them, but I understand your complaint. I just wish Jeep would offer up a dual door option. That would be the way to go.
Or, offer a decent half door window design.

, Granite,
post #6 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Or, offer a decent half door window design.
Yah, I'm really surprised Bestop hasn't come out with one. The already have the soft uppers. It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to put a sliding window in it like they offer for the TJ.
post #7 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Wheeler

I would give you my full doors in a heartbeat for your half doors. Detonator yellow.

I DON"T GET DRUNK........I GET AWESOME!
post #8 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Rock God

I read on another Forum that BestTop will have sliders out near the end of the year .... Don't kill the messenger ....

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #9 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Rock God

I have full doors. They're fine, but as others said they suck to rest your arm on as you're driving. I've kind of been jealous of the half-doors. If I didn't have the power package for locks/windows, I'd probably try trading them out with somebody as the half-doors are really more my cup o tea.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #10 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagrmaister View Post
I have full doors. They're fine, but as others said they suck to rest your arm on as you're driving. I've kind of been jealous of the half-doors. If I didn't have the power package for locks/windows, I'd probably try trading them out with somebody as the half-doors are really more my cup o tea.
I remember that being a pain in my TJ. I had dual tops with hard doors.

You can get the electric actuators & harness and install them in the half doors. You won't need the power windows though.

, Granite,
post #11 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

if i ever buy factory half doors, i will only run them topless. Screw plastic side windows!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

I have both and each has its good and bad points. I would say that if you don't have a problem with them leaking like mine do, keep the half doors. The only real benefits I have noticed when I have the full doors on are a better seal around the top during the monsoon season here in FL, and a little less road/wind noise on the highway.

And why Detonator yellow only? Have you got something against 2-tone Jeeps?

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
post #13 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

You half doors leak? Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with that. If I don't get the door surrounds tight to the front, I will get a small drip from them, but not the half door windows.

, Granite,
post #14 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have half doors and always just take them completely off. however, it's tough to find some one with black full doors with MANUAL windows that wants to trade. The conversion to power is a pain in the ass and now worth it to me. I just don't feel like going through the hassle. otherwise, I'd trade just because I never use them the way they were intended.
post #15 of 38 Old 06-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

I just made the switch full to half. Full doors are nice, convenient and civilized. I still like the halfs, but it's a commitment. Let me know if I can answer anything specific.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #16 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Granite Guru

take in consideration where all you guys live... dirty south... For us in places like NW montana you couldn't give me your half doors. Just a opinion when talking about better or worse, strictly where you live

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
post #17 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I emailed Bestop yesterday and got a response last night.

Quote:
Upper Door Sliders for the JK is in the works, we are hoping they will be out by the end of 2010...I would just keep checking our website for new products to show up!
I think I'll stick it out and try the upper door sliders.

, Granite,
post #18 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
take in consideration where all you guys live... dirty south... For us in places like NW montana you couldn't give me your half doors. Just a opinion when talking about better or worse, strictly where you live
Dirty South?

, Granite,
post #19 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I emailed Bestop yesterday and got a response last night.

I think I'll stick it out and try the upper door sliders.
So basically Bestop will take your order by the end of 2010, and you should have your slider-uppers by the end of 2011.
I'm still impatiently waiting for my uppers with zip windows!
post #20 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
So basically Bestop will take your order by the end of 2010, and you should have your slider-uppers by the end of 2011.
I'm still impatiently waiting for my uppers with zip windows!
You just had to pop my bubble

Good luck on the upper windows. They are less than $200 each from the dealer aren't they?

, Granite,
post #21 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalityLTD View Post
And why Detonator yellow only? Have you got something against 2-tone Jeeps?

That picture reminds me of the old harlequin VW rabbits. They were cool in a unique way.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

post #22 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

i love my full doors. ive had both now (half doors were on a YJ not a JK) and ill never get half doors again. at least not for full time use. you "roll" that plastic POS down and you get a muddy window all over you. to be honest, if you're going to zip down the window, you may as well just remove the whole top of the door and throw them in the back.

i would like to get the element doors or super doors or something eventually for just the summer, but i prefer doorless to running with half doors anyway and the full doors are pretty easy to take on and off and weight really isnt an issue if you know to hold them right...

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #23 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

I am thinking about element doors myself. I have a 2 year old and I am not comfortable having no doors when he is in the Jeep.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

post #24 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

Well, after reading all of these posts, here's what I have to offer:

HALF DOORS:

I have the Full Doors, Factory Half Doors, AND Element Doors. Now, I JUST installed the Factory Half Doors about two weeks ago, after waiting two and a half months for them to come in. So far, I LOVE 'EM!!! Exactly what I've been dreaming of since I bought my JK last July. I haven't needed to put the Uppers on yet, because I run Topless as often as I can. I do have my SpiderWeb Shade, so that does alleviate the need for my Top-Against-The-Sun problem, with the Heat right now.

FULL DOORS:

I'm a, Half-Door Spring/Summer/Fall, and Full-Door Winter, kinda guy. We don't get snow in our area of Texas, but it does get Damned Sloppery in the Winter! Besides the Rain and the Cold, we've actually had it Rain MUD a few times. Yup... Mud! Nasty Crap! This is a GOOD time to have Full Doors..... and about the only time, IMHO.

BESTOP HIGHROCK ELEMENT DOORS:

I bought the Complete Element Door Set, which include the Tube Doors, Door Skins, Door Bags, and the Upper Doors. So, I've had countless opportunities to play with the Uppers in Hwy Conditions, as well as Adverse Weather. They Zip, just like the Factory Uppers do, so I'm already used to their function and how Convenient/Inconvenient they can be. When I had the Uppers on, I just avoided things like Drive Thrus, and having to Zip them down in the Rain. No biggee for me. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the Uppers, is that they would "FAN OUT", at the top of the window at Hwy Speeds. In-Town Driving... no problems. But, at speeds above 55-60, they would start to flare out at the top. There was no concern as whether or not the Uppers would Fly Off, as they were pretty well attached to the doors. I just hated the wind noise and flaring out.

THE REST OF THE STORY.....

Now... I'm sure at least ONE OF YOU is asking... "If you already have the Element Doors, WHY did you buy the Factory Halves?" DAMN GOOD QUESTION! I can honestly say, "MY WIFE MADE ME DO IT!" Is she GREAT, or what?

Now, when I was Lobbying with the Chief Exec (Wife) for Half Doors last year, the Elements were offered at 1/3rd of the price of the Factory Half Doors (which weren't available for purchase to the Public Jeeper at the time...). I gave it my all, and explained the many ADVANTAGES of driving with Halves, and how much more NATURAL and STREAMLINED a Jeep was with Halves, rather than with Truck Doors, when the Top is down. In the end, I got the from the Financial Officer.

After driving around with those for the rest of the Summer and Fall, last year, I swapped them out for Fulls for Winter. When Spring came along this year, I asked my wife to help me remove the Fulls, so I could install the Elements. She mentioned how she didn't like the Uppers Flaring Out at Hwy Speeds, and how she didn't like that the Doors didn't fully fill the Door Jambs like the Full Doors did. She said, "It just doesn't feel like a real door. Are there some others you can get that fit better? If there are, go ahead and buy them!" So, Spring arrived March 21st, and I placed my order for the Factory Half Doors on March 24th..... the rest is History!

For those that are considering Element Doors, they ARE a GREAT Buy, compared to the cost of Factory Halves. They fit well, are extremely solid, and have many variations you can play around with... Complete Half Door Option with Tube Doors, Door Skins, and Door Bags (or no Door Bags...), or... Tube-Door-Only Option, Tube Doors with Door Bags on the Outside or Inside of the Doors for Trail Riding. For my complete set, I paid just under $1,100. FYI, the Door Skins are a solid steel plate, cut to fit the outlines of the JK Doors. They lock on to the Tube Doors (gotta have the Tube Doors to install the Door Skins...) with two clamps at the bottom, then at the Latch location, and finally at the Mirror location. I actually found the Element Doors to be heavier than the Factory Halves. Those Steel Skins, coupled with the Tube Doors, would offer good protection in a side hit. As a complete assembly, they're not as wide (Inside/Outside) as the Factory Halves, therefore, they don't fill out the entire Door Jamb, as my wife pointed out. But, the Door Skins fit nicely along the lines of the Jeep, and the Tube Doors and Door Bags fill some of the inside space. The Door Skins come with Auto Quality Door Weather Seal, and I found with some additional Weather Seal added to the Door Jambs, you can easily block out any light or wind opening that may bother your Better-Half.

I could never Trade my Halves for Fulls, or vice versa. Gotta have 'em both, to deal with the weather here. Rainy in the Winter, and Hot as Hell in the Summer.

Yup! When the Sliders become available, I'll be in line for those as well. I was researching those a few months ago, and found a few places that were offering JK Sliders from Rampage. When I Called/Emailed them for Stock Availability, I was told that Rampage, "NEVER MADE 'EM"... as they never left the Planning Table... not enough Jeeper interest in them at the time. Glad to see Bestop is stepping up to the plate!

Here are some pics of my Jeep with the:

Top Down with Full Doors:

Top Down with Factory Half Doors:

Top Up with Element Half Doors & Upper Doors:

Top Down with Element Half Doors:

Element Door Bags Installed:

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

'09 Yellow Wrangler X JK - "Scooter"

-Sony CDX-GT540UI Head Unit
-Alpine SPR-17C Coaxial 6.5" Speakers
-Alpine SPR-17S Component 6.5" Speakers With Tweeters & Crossovers
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 400W 4-Ch Amp
-Factory Half-Doors & Full-Doors
-Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Tires
-Black Rock Viper 900 Tungsten 17" Wheels
-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves!"

Last edited by Blackbeard; 06-23-2010 at 01:01 PM.
post #25 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
Well, after reading all of these posts, here's what I have to offer:

HALF DOORS:

I have the Full Doors, Factory Half Doors, AND Element Doors. Now, I JUST installed the Factory Half Doors about two weeks ago, after waiting two and a half months for them to come in. So far, I LOVE 'EM!!! Exactly what I've been dreaming of since I bought my JK last July. I haven't needed to put the Uppers on yet, because I run Topless as often as I can. I do have my SpiderWeb Shade, so that does alleviate the need for my Top-Against-The-Sun problem, with the Heat right now.

FULL DOORS:

I'm a, Half-Door Spring/Summer/Fall, and Full-Door Winter, kinda guy. We don't get snow in our area of Texas, but it does get Damned Sloppery in the Winter! Besides the Rain and the Cold, we've actually had it Rain MUD a few times. Yup... Mud! Nasty Crap! This is a GOOD time to have Full Doors..... and about the only time, IMHO.

BESTOP HIGHROCK ELEMENT DOORS:

I bought the Complete Element Door Set, which include the Tube Doors, Door Skins, Door Bags, and the Upper Doors. So, I've had countless opportunities to play with the Uppers in Hwy Conditions, as well as Adverse Weather. They Zip, just like the Factory Uppers do, so I'm already used to their function and how Convenient/Inconvenient they can be. When I had the Uppers on, I just avoided things like Drive Thrus, and having to Zip them down in the Rain. No biggee for me. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the Uppers, is that they would "FAN OUT", at the top of the window at Hwy Speeds. In-Town Driving... no problems. But, at speeds above 55-60, they would start to flare out at the top. There was no concern as whether or not the Uppers would Fly Off, as they were pretty well attached to the doors. I just hated the wind noise and flaring out.

THE REST OF THE STORY.....

Now... I'm sure at least ONE OF YOU is asking... "If you already have the Element Doors, WHY did you buy the Factory Halves?" DAMN GOOD QUESTION! I can honestly say, "MY WIFE MADE ME DO IT!" Is she GREAT, or what?

Now, when I was Lobbying with the Chief Exec (Wife) for Half Doors last year, the Elements were offered at 1/3rd of the price of the Factory Half Doors (which weren't available for purchase to the Public Jeeper at the time...). I gave it my all, and explained the many ADVANTAGES of driving with Halves, and how much more NATURAL and STREAMLINED a Jeep was with Halves, rather than with Truck Doors, when the Top is down. In the end, I got the from the Financial Officer.

After driving around with those for the rest of the Summer and Fall, last year, I swapped them out for Fulls for Winter. When Spring came along this year, I asked my wife to help me remove the Fulls, so I could install the Elements. She mentioned how she didn't like the Uppers Flaring Out at Hwy Speeds, and how she didn't like that the Doors didn't fully fill the Door Jambs like the Full Doors did. She said, "It just doesn't feel like a real door. Are there some others you can get that fit better? If there are, go ahead and buy them!" So, Spring arrived March 21st, and I placed my order for the Factory Half Doors on March 24th..... the rest is History!

For those that are considering Element Doors, they ARE a GREAT Buy, compared to the cost of Factory Halves. They fit well, are extremely solid, and have many variations you can play around with... Complete Half Door Option with Tube Doors, Door Skins, and Door Bags (or no Door Bags...), or... Tube-Door-Only Option, Tube Doors with Door Bags on the Outside or Inside of the Doors for Trail Riding. For my complete set, I paid just under $1,100. FYI, the Door Skins are a solid steel plate, cut to fit the outlines of the JK Doors. They lock on to the Tube Doors (gotta have the Tube Doors to install the Door Skins...) with two clamps at the bottom, then at the Latch location, and finally at the Mirror location. I actually found the Element Doors to be heavier than the Factory Halves. Those Steel Skins, coupled with the Tube Doors, would offer good protection in a side hit. As a complete assembly, they're not as wide (Inside/Outside) as the Factory Halves, therefore, they don't fill out the entire Door Jamb, as my wife pointed out. But, the Door Skins fit nicely along the lines of the Jeep, and the Tube Doors and Door Bags fill some of the inside space. The Door Skins come with Auto Quality Door Weather Seal, and I found with some additional Weather Seal added to the Door Jambs, you can easily block out any light or wind opening that may bother your Better-Half.

I could never Trade my Halves for Fulls, or vice versa. Gotta have 'em both, to deal with the weather here. Rainy in the Winter, and Hot as Hell in the Summer.

Yup! When the Sliders become available, I'll be in line for those as well. I was researching those a few months ago, and found a few places that were offering JK Sliders from Rampage. When I Called/Emailed them for Stock Availability, I was told that Rampage, "NEVER MADE 'EM"... as they never left the Planning Table... not enough Jeeper interest in them at the time. Glad to see Bestop is stepping up to the plate!

Here are some pics of my Jeep with the:

Top Down with Full Doors:

Top Down with Factory Half Doors:

Top Up with Element Half Doors & Upper Doors:

Top Down with Element Half Doors:

Element Door Bags Installed:

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB
holy effing shit thats a lot of good info! i am curious to know if the FACTORY uppers with the factory halves fan out light the uppers to the element doors. do the element doors and the factory halves both accept the same upper part?

this was the only reason i didnt get half doors on my jk from the factory because anything above 50mph in my YJ caused the damn upper parts of the doors to literally bow out to where i could slide my whole hand out of the jeep through the gap. didnt know if they fixed it with the TJs and JKs or not.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode