Dual Alternator - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000
Question Dual Alternator

Is it possible to set up a second alternator to just charge 2 extra batteries.. I am thinking of running an Onboard welder, 4000 watt power inverter, etc.. I know you can add a York compressor from Kilby.. So I know you should be able to mount an alternator..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Sure it's possible, just about anything is with a welder and some ideas! How much power does it need? Would a small Honda/Yamaha generator get it done? May be more useful and practical to go with something stand alone?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Sure it's possible, just about anything is with a welder and some ideas! How much power does it need? Would a small Honda/Yamaha generator get it done? May be more useful and practical to go with something stand alone?
Oh.. I have a 15K watt generator in my garage.. It's a Generac Industrial.. I can basically run my whole house on it.. No.. Mine is more trail camping and repair.. I am building my HEEV (Hurricane Emergency Evacuation Vehicle).. I will never get stuck on the interstate.. I can find a way to get away.. So space is going to be a premium.. 3 humans and 4 animal friends.. LOL Plus supplies.. I have some ideas.. I might have a buddy model them up for me.. He is a mechanical/Electrical Engineer for British Aerospace Engineering..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

i was going to get a upgraded alt.. but i never found one.. no one makes one for a JK yet.. JK alt puts out 180amps cold and i think about 40-60 hot. which blows...

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

post #5 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
JK alt puts out 180amps cold and i think about 40-60 hot. which blows...
...what? This is the first I've ever heard alternator ratings change based on temperature. Especially over 120amps in difference. Where did you find that info?

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #6 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
...what? This is the first I've ever heard alternator ratings change based on temperature. Especially over 120amps in difference. Where did you find that info?
this is what i was told when i was getting my system installed and we were wondering why my system kept cutting off.. it wasnt getting enuff juice.. so the place called a alternator company and thats what they were saying.. since it a not a heavy duty alternator it only puts out half the amps when its hot..

i got a 0 gauge wire running from my alt to my battery..

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
this is what i was told when i was getting my system installed and we were wondering why my system kept cutting off.. it wasnt getting enuff juice.. so the place called a alternator company and thats what they were saying.. since it a not a heavy duty alternator it only puts out half the amps when its hot..

i got a 0 gauge wire running from my alt to my battery..
Only thing I've ever heard ratings go from is rpm. Never temp, but that is interesting.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Just get a bigger alternator.

nationsautoelectric.com
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Rock God

The output of a altenator is dependent of both rpm and temp
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

That is true.. But there are High Output Alternators that put out like 200amps.. Or maybe get a Sprinter Van 300amp alternator..

This is just an idea..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode