OK, I Give, how do you get the (6spd) fill plug out? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

OK, I Give, how do you get the (6spd) fill plug out?

OK, I cut the Allen wrench and was able to loosen the drain plug and draind the fluid in our 07 Unlimited, but no one mentioned the fill plug was a different size. Sears, the only game in town near me only stocks a 17mm and then down to a 13mm, which I know is too small.

I screwed around with it for a while and found a grade 8 9/16 bolt fit, I socked three nuts down on it tight, hammered it in the fill plug, it won't budge. Meanwhile, like an idiot I already drained the fluid, and I'm supposed to be leaving tomorrow night to go away camping for 5 days.

Any ideas? If I heat it it'll make it worse won't it??

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 PM
JKO Addict!

There was enough protruding on mine to grab it with some vice grips and turn it.
Thats what most people are doing I believe.
I have the hex head to fit it but its more of a pain than using the vice grips. Who cares if the external threads are a bit messed up.
And its on there tight prepare to bust some knuckles the first time.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 18 Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, That worked. When I first read that, I was like, OK, this oughta really screw it up, but I got a vice grip on it and it came loose.

Thanks!

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Wheeler

you make a custom tool. yours must have been extra tight. i got mine out real slow with a big wrench.

post #5 of 18 Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upalms View Post
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, That worked. When I first read that, I was like, OK, this oughta really screw it up, but I got a vice grip on it and it came loose.

Thanks!
You're welcome
from now on you can use your tool since its looser...

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #6 of 18 Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well thanks for the help, but after 5.5 hours and two quarts of Synthetic, not much difference, still shifts like a worn out model A. Will this get better with time? I put about 10 miles.

I just don't get it, why does our 2000 TJ shift so nice and smooth, and the JK with 20,000 on it that's never been wheeled feel like it's about to explode, you would think they would have gotten better, not worse.

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats
post #7 of 18 Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Well thanks for the help, but after 5.5 hours and two quarts of Synthetic, not much difference, still shifts like a worn out model A. Will this get better with time? I put about 10 miles.

I just don't get it, why does our 2000 TJ shift so nice and smooth, and the JK with 20,000 on it that's never been wheeled feel like it's about to explode, you would think they would have gotten better, not worse.
i put Pennzoil Synchromesh into my manual tranny. tried it for a couple days. hated it. went and bought mopar oem fluid to put back in. cleared up all the stickyness and notchyness that came with the synthetic.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Well now you know why mechanics dont drain something until they get the fill plug out lol.

What synthetic did you try? Royal Purple and Amsoil feel pretty good in mine. (tried both)

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I couldn't get the Amsoil in time for our trip, so for a change I put in the Pennzoil, I'll order the Amsoil today or tomorrow and it should be here when I get back, (Does anyone have the part number or exact name of the Amsoil product I need to I can just give it to my buddy so he doesn't have to look it up?) but I was already pretty commited to trying SOMETHING to make this clunker stop shifting like a clunker. When I get back over the 4th I'll swap out the Pennzoil and try the Amsoil and see if that changinges anything, I allready know the OEM stuff, so I'll have a good comparison. BTW, it took just under 2 quarts, does that sound correct?

plac, thanks for the pics on the home made "Tool", that's exactly what I ended up with, the fit was so tight, I just left it on there! And yes SONIC, it should come out easier this time. So, does anyone have the opinion that the factory tries to use a million differt typs and sizes of hardware just to try to force people back to them for service? Really, wouldn't common sense be to make the drain and the fill plug the same size? Come on!

I'm going to post a thread and see if anyone has tried any additive like Slick50

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats
post #10 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Rock God

remember, always loosen the fill plug BEFORE doing any oil changes so you don't have to scramble to find a solution. on my wifes 05 explorer i was going to do an oil and filter change on the auto transmission, until i saw there was no fill point. not even a dip stick to put new oil in.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
(Does anyone have the part number or exact name of the Amsoil product I need to I can just give it to my buddy so he doesn't have to look it up?)

I'm going to post a thread and see if anyone has tried any additive like Slick50
Here you go... I use Amsoil for all my fluids... works great.

Steve

https://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=MTFQT-EA

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Here you go... I use Amsoil for all my fluids... works great.

Steve

https://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=MTFQT-EA
Thats what I'm running. Seems to be doin fine for me.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #13 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
JKO Addict!

What's wrong with the 6-speed, you ask? It's a Mercedes part. 'Nuff said.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #14 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 04:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
........So, does anyone have the opinion that the factory tries to use a million different types and sizes of hardware just to try to force people back to them for service? Really, wouldn't common sense be to make the drain and the fill plug the same size?Come on!........
No, you just don't have enough tools

Glad it worked out for you

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
No, you just don't have enough tools

Glad it worked out for you
No kidding. I work at a BMW dealership as a tech. You want to talk about a vehicle they don't want the average person touching...it's most german cars for sure. Over-engineered pieces of shit.

post #16 of 18 Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Here, Here Goodysgotacuda

I just got rid of a Mercedes, went in for service, told me the rear coils were "broken"! and needed to be replaced, now in all my years, I've never heard of a coil spring in a car breaking, a torsion bar a couple of times, but never a coil spring. THe guy told me with Mercedes it's common!

Can you imagine a $60,000 car, and they comonly break srpings!!

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats
post #17 of 18 Old 06-25-2010, 05:59 AM

Hey UPALM, I put Royal Purple syncromax in mine and I noticed a difference as soon as I put it in gear. They don't list the JK on their application guide but they list the transmission in a truck installation. I have run it for over 30,000 miles with no problem. CM
post #18 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Throwin out an update on the Syncromesh debate:

Not sure if Pennzoil changed there brew or what but last week I changed out my tranny fluid (80k service) and it's workin like a champ.

$7.50 a qt @ the local Advance Auto vs $20something+ a qt for the Mopar fluid from the dealer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode