Metal or Plastic Flatfenders-Which do you prefer? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Metal or Plastic Flatfenders-Which do you prefer?

Metal or Plastic Flatfenders-Which do you prefer and why?

I have heard good arguments about either. I run Metalcloak fronts and Sniper Fab Comp Cuts on my TJ, but as I am not so sure when it comes to my JKU build. It is a whole different animal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Granite Guru

I use the OEM plastic, cut down for tire clearance. They're cheap and just bend if you rub 'em on trees. If one gets ripped off, just pop it back on. There are better looking fenders out there, but they cost real money and perform no better.

1st cut.

Current cut. Even less to catch on trees and such.
post #3 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 01:04 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I prefer metal for my rigs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I prefer metal for my rigs.
Which metal flare is your flare of choice?
post #5 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 01:12 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWalt View Post
Which metal flare is your flare of choice?
I really like the Crawler Conceptz flares as far as the latest and greatest.

Poison Spyder also makes a beautiful flare and that is what I'm running currently. These are the narrow version on the front in steel.

post #6 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I really like the Crawler Conceptz flares as far as the latest and greatest.

Poison Spyder also makes a beautiful flare and that is what I'm running currently. These are the narrow version on the front in steel.
Why steel?

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #7 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 01:45 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
Why steel?
Just personal preference. I've always thought they fit a little better than the aluminum.

post #8 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Granite Guru

IMHO plastic (stock cut) for stock axle and 4.5 and greater BS due to I have pushed in my tub with metal fenders. With tons; stick out more and keep you away from shit, use what's pretty.

16 JKU Sport
RK 3.5 X Factor, UD 60's, Atlas T Case 4.3:1,
TR Bead locks with Toyo Open Country MT's,
VKS Bumpers and Sliders. EVO Skins,
PSC Hydro on Synergy Steering,
Fox Shocks and Bumps
"40's Baby!"
2011 JKU RUBI "SOLD"
post #9 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Granite Guru

My vote is for metal! Aluminum... Plastic looks cheap.

2007 JK Rubicon
Rock Krawler, ORI STX, RCV, Warn Powerplant HD on 40s
post #10 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 02:50 PM
Rock God

Is nothing a choice as well. I like the look of no flare in the rear and narrows up front. I'm to cheap to do it though.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #11 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 02:55 PM
Granite Guru

I have the MCE plastic flares that look like carbon fiber. It took one trip to the Hammers to see a direct comparison. The metal flares damaged the body more than the plastic ones did. These are trails that really punish everything and the plastic flare guys would throw them in the Jeep or pop them back on if they scraped against rocks. Metal...not so lucky.
One guy ran painted plastic. He said it was because they are much easier to scuff the scratches out and repaint than it was to fix metal flares/body panels and looked good longer than bare plastic.
post #12 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Rock God

It's a little dirty but here is my cuts !

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #13 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Rock God

Pic won't load !!

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #14 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Currently metal flats in front and none in rear...May install flats in rear after new tires...

Just a Jeep!
2010 JKU Rubicon Deep Water Blue Pearl TF CT4 Long Arm kit, HD adj track bars, high steer/flip kit, knuckles & ball joints AntiRock sway bars front/rear 5.38 gears, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts RH HD crossmember SB oil pan/trans/T-case skidplates KMC 17 x 9 Machete XD229 beadlocks 37" Toyo RTs SuperChip FP B&M Trans cooler SB flat metal fenders N-Fab steps/bars Ace aluminum inner fender VKS front/rear bumpers 11.5K Superwinch
post #15 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 PM
Wheeler

Plastic felt and looked cheap, so I went to steel River Raiders.
They were great wife wanted a set so she got mine and I went with XRC armour. Love it now
post #16 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 07:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've got Poison Spyder steel fronts and rear. I've bashed them and beat them with no damage to my tub. My Jeep as been to JV, Moab, Parker and everywhere in between without any issues.

Tim

[
post #17 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Timmay View Post
I've got Poison Spyder steel fronts and rear. I've bashed them and beat them with no damage to my tub. My Jeep as been to JV, Moab, Parker and everywhere in between without any issues.

Tim
Yep...I was watching a video from Poison Spyder and they were going over plastic and metal flares and showing how their flares mount to the frame and not the sheet metal only in order so there is no issues with benign the tub. They look great too.
post #18 of 47 Old 03-31-2016, 09:31 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
Yep...I was watching a video from Poison Spyder and they were going over plastic and metal flares and showing how their flares mount to the frame and not the sheet metal only in order so there is no issues with benign the tub. They look great too.
Mine have been drama free other than I keep dragging them across rocks and have to keep painting them.

[
post #19 of 47 Old 04-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm a believer in looks are secondary to function. I still have the stock plastic fenders. They cover the tires pretty well, I have ripped two off on trees and they pop back on. They work just fine on my 2 dr with 4" lift and 37's. If I ever do break one I bet I can find some cheap ones for sale. Downside, it is difficult (not impossible) to set a beer on them.
post #20 of 47 Old 04-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Rock God

Cut stocks. To my eye they don't look any worse than any other flat fender and better than some. Ive torn them off and had them fold under and always popped back into shape and easy to reinstall if they come off.

'11 JKUR, 3" Full-Traction w/5100's, 37x17 Trail Graps on Slabs, 10 Fact Axles, Adams front DS, TF44 front, PSC Hydro Assist. Home made sliders, bumpers, tire carrier. Warn XD9000i w/Smitty Synth line.
post #21 of 47 Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

A boulder took out my rear cut stocker this weekend and tagged the body panel above the fender pretty good. A metal flare would have kept the body off the rocks.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #22 of 47 Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I have a sweetspot for the Nemesis fenders ( odyssey, I think?) but have never been able to justify the cost when I only wanted clearance & the aesthetics of that old JT Truck concept Jeep JK that Mopar Underground built a few years back; thus, trimming my painted fenders was the first approach / most affordable & between them being tear-off-able ( as designed to do) , lightweight and ( IMHO) looking just as I wanted them to and close to the concept trucks fenders , I am pleased with my self trimming job. 37s stuff up without any rub whatsoever....I have ripped one off and just clipped it back on , no issue other than some paint damage that I don't care about....<edit: I am, however, most definately acquiring rear corner/quarter-panel armor in the next 6 months - likely the TNT Customs - to protect against the scenario sprockwell just mentioned!>

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-03-2016 at 09:51 AM.
post #23 of 47 Old 04-03-2016, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Ive got garbage Barricade fenders given to me because the reviewer did not like the fit up. they took them
Off the Market but i believe DV8 and E-Auto offer the same fendersName:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1459703448.150013.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  150.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1459703460.782633.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  56.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1459703488.002271.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  87.4 KB. A little work and a couple new holes should do the trick. They look ok but trust them for a 2nd to protect the thin sheetmetal.
MC Sells a brace for the front i will
Get eventually.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #24 of 47 Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Ive got garbage Barricade fenders given to me because the reviewer did not like the fit up. they took them
Off the Market but i believe DV8 and E-Auto offer the same fendersAttachment 258978Attachment 258986Attachment 258994. A little work and a couple new holes should do the trick. They look ok but trust them for a 2nd to protect the thin sheetmetal.
MC Sells a brace for the front i will
Get eventually.

For the $ though you can't beat them. They look good.

I went with the really cheap shittybuilt.

EX-JC
post #25 of 47 Old 04-03-2016, 11:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Metal or Plastic Flatfenders-Which do you prefer?

I'm on my fourth set of flares if you count the stockers. I wanted the Nemesis flares , but decided they were too expensive. First I opted for the Xenon narrows, which have a superb profile but are utter junk. I the went with the Bushwackers flats, which are superb quality but I didn't like the look. So, I went with .... Nemesis.... Shut up!

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode