JKOwners Forum banner

Rear Lower Control Arm Squeaking

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  armandov99 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hope someone can help me out here...I spent hours searching yesterday and didn't find much help...I had a lift with Teraflex flex arms installed last week. Yesterday I had a very loud squeak and after looking for a while I couldn't figure out what it was, as it sounded like it came from inside the frame or even under the body...finally I discovered the culprit on the driver side, the tab on the nut rubbing against the rear lower control arm:

I also looked on passenger side and it had the same issue but not very loud, I then saw the same nut tab is facing UP not down and is rubbing on the arm so hard it's cutting out a notch (not visible in pic sorry):

My questions: first, are these the factory nuts/hardware? I cannot find pics anywhere including in several lift instructions that show the picture of this tab part AFTER the arms are installed. And second, has anyone else had and fixed the issue? For the drivers side someone on the other forum said they bent the tab, but the thing is damn hard and I tried to bend it but it didn't seem to give (although the squeaking DID stop, but I want to remove the contact issue). They said for their passenger side it was in the opposite location and they had no issue.

Should I just loosen the things so I can get a better grip to bend it? And on the passenger side I can't figure out why it's touching the arm instead of resting against the mount since it seems tightening that bolt would make it turn clockwise and go up against the mount...instead it's at the bottom position rubbing a notch into the arm....

See less See more
#3 ·
Dude I tried and for the life of me I couldn't unbolt that sucker. I do not have a breaker bar though and didn't want to use my torque wrench to undo it so I was stuck with a 3/8" socket. Not surprised I couldn't do it....anyway there's nowhere else for the thing to go since it's designed to hit the frame mount and stop moving as you torque the bolt on the outside...I figured with all the lifts using the stock hardware a ton of people would have done something about it by now but I guess no one else had this issue or it's too stupid a question!

I do feel retarded now, I just ended up taking a dremel to the damn thing and cutting off 3/8" until it cleared the control arm but still held onto the frame mount. Thanks...carry on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.