What should I do? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Question What should I do?

OK here we go.. I am starting with a stock 07 X 4 door. I have installed a CAI and a cat back exhaust. I am sitting on the factory 32 tires. I would like to lift and go bigger tires but dont want to change gears at this time (Auto transmission with 4.10). I dont rock crawl I just like to take whatever trail I see and show my kids how much more you can see of the world when you get off the freeway. So mostly sand and rocky roads with some steep grades. So would any of you have any suggestions (keep it nice) for size of lift and size of tires I should go with?
And of course any other improvements I should make?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler

Last edited by dougnpj; 10-09-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: left out info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
OK here we go.. I am starting with a stock 07 X 4 door. I have installed a CAI and a cat back exhaust. I am sitting on the factory 32 tires. I would like to lift and go bigger tires but dont want to change gears at this time. I dont rock crawl I just like to take whatever trail I see and show my kids how much more you can see of the world when you get off the freeway. So mostly sand and rocky roads with some steep grades. So would any of you have any suggestions (keep it nice) for size of lift and size of tires I should go with?
And of course any other improvements I should make?
Yeah, I can tell you where to go!! Not really.

A couple questions: Do you have an auto or manual? If you have a manual, what gear ratio (3.21 or 4.10)? As long as you're not trying to go real big, I think you'll be fine with a 2 - 2.5" BB lift and 34-35" tires. Having said that, the answer may change if you're only running 3.21 gears...
post #3 of 5 Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Since you have an X, and based on what you want to do, I would go with a 2.5" budget boost (TeraFlex for example) and go with some 33"x12.5" all-terrain tires. 33's won't diminish your "get up and go" like 35's would, regardless of gear ratio. And your selection of 34" tires is limited compared to 33's.

I don't know if 33's with stock wheels would rub at full flex, but maybe someone here running that setup can chime in.

'07 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Granite Guru

I'm currently running 285/70R/17 BFG ATs (which is about 32.7") on factory rims with no lift. I did however have to use 1.5" wheel spacers to get rid of the tire rub at full turn. Otherwise, no other issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 Unlimited Sahara Bright Silver: Auto: 4.10: 285/70R/17 BFG ATs: 1.5" Spidertrax: Painted Hardtop: AirRaid CAI: Borla Exhaust: Painted Bezels: LCD Monitor Mod: Mastercraft Grab Handles: Quadratec Center Arm Rest, Rear Seat Grab Handles & Headlight Guards: Mopar Sill, Tail Light Guards & Chrome Fuel Door: Husky Liners: Daystar Dash Top Panel: Bestop Wood Dash Kit: Neoprene Seatcovers: Littleseats.com 3rd Row Jump Seat: 14" Antenna: RealWheels Grill Guard: UConnect
post #5 of 5 Old 10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

i currently am running the exact setup being talked about here (2.5" bb and 33's) if you really only plan on doing the stuff you described you will be fine. in my case i thought the same thing and i am rubbing and have needed more clearance in areas, therefor i will be going higher. the bb is a great starter and if you ever want to upgrade you don't have a ton of money in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode