Mounting a power steering cooler - options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Mounting a power steering cooler - options

I'm on my third power steering pump, JKU with 40's, and I'm going to add a cooler this time

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3000.htm

Wondering where the best place is to mount it, I see them on the radiator, under the front crossmember, just wondering where guys are mounting them

Thx

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Just a thought. I used a Howe cooler as the fins are aligned with the direction that the air will flow across them:
http://www.howeperformance.com/parts/in-line-coolers/

I went with a 2x7 but you can go for the big boy and do a 3x12. I mounted it off of my AC condenser. Pics here:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166121

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Just put it infront of the radiator, I think you can mount it to the crossmember right behind the grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by upalms View Post
I'm on my third power steering pump, JKU with 40's, and I'm going to add a cooler this time

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3000.htm

Wondering where the best place is to mount it, I see them on the radiator, under the front crossmember, just wondering where guys are mounting them

Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Just put it infront of the radiator, I think you can mount it to the crossmember right behind the grille.
Confirming that this location works:

I had to relocate the outside temperature sensor on my 2010 up to the clip where it mounted on earlier JKs, otherwise no hassle.
This pic is a few years old, and the Jeep has changed around the cooler, but I've never seen the need to move the cooler.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!

After I converted to WTOR hydro-boost I added a Derale dual pass heat sink cooler. Mounted it with the ports on passenger side, bolted to the lower radiator support crossmember, right behind the plastic grille. Very easy install and if you touch the hoses you realize how effective a cooler is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Rock God

Yep, lots of room in front of the radiator. Bad pic, but the grill is off so you can see it. This is the cooler I used and same one Ringer uses (I figure if it is the one a hydraulic steering engineer chose, it probably works well). http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumin...Inch,6768.html

post #7 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post
Yep, lots of room in front of the radiator. Bad pic, but the grill is off so you can see it. This is the cooler I used and same one Ringer uses (I figure if it is the one a hydraulic steering engineer chose, it probably works well). http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumin...Inch,6768.html

Thats what I have...more fluid in the system the better. If it can stand the nuclear hot summers in Alabama/Georgia...I think I can safely say it is working very well.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Rock God

some may call it overkill, but it took 5 minutes to install and works great. Still running stock pump and box. Plenty of room behind the grill, and I have the tranny cooler in there too.

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
post #9 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for all the feed back guys, I'm wondering how effective the two style coolers are compared to each other

Heat Sink style - http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3000.htm

Old school - http://www.quadratec.com/products/94000_4126.htm

The "Old school" style looks pretty stealth up against the radiator, doubt you'd even notice it there. The heat sink style, seems if it's mounted to low on the radiator doesn't seem like it would get the best airflow, mounting it higher or vertical in one of the openings seems better airflow wise but it can kind of look like a zit on your nose sitting there.

Just trying to decide which one to go with. Also, does anyone make a higher performance pump without going all the way to the power assist/ram set up? My son started collage yesterday, so my Jeep budget is a little tight right now.

Thx

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats
post #10 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks for all the feed back guys, I'm wondering how effective the two style coolers are compared to each other

Heat Sink style - http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3000.htm

Old school - http://www.quadratec.com/products/94000_4126.htm

The "Old school" style looks pretty stealth up against the radiator, doubt you'd even notice it there. The heat sink style, seems if it's mounted to low on the radiator doesn't seem like it would get the best airflow, mounting it higher or vertical in one of the openings seems better airflow wise but it can kind of look like a zit on your nose sitting there.

Just trying to decide which one to go with. Also, does anyone make a higher performance pump without going all the way to the power assist/ram set up? My son started collage yesterday, so my Jeep budget is a little tight right now.

Thx

If you're on a budget, don't buy from Quadratec. I posted a link to a heat sink above that works great in the JK and there are plenty of us running it.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Also, does anyone make a higher performance pump without going all the way to the power assist/ram set up?
Thx
Howe has an upgraded pump with several different valving options. I bet the pump with the highest valving would be pretty damn good without a ram. With a ram, it would be scary on the highway.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Howe has an upgraded pump with several different valving options. I bet the pump with the highest valving would be pretty damn good without a ram. With a ram, it would be scary on the highway.
I'd worry about the steering box. It is already pushed past its limits on big tires as is. Turbo charging it sounds like bad news. I've seen the box shear off the frame on a Jeep with 35s.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'll look at all the options, I get dealer pricing at Quadratec, usually pretty good and everything comes next day from PA even if I just pay ground. It has a brand new steering box on it with a sector shaft brace from JKS, it's pretty solid.

I just got off the phone with Howe, they won't sell just a pump. only complete system. If I send them my box and pump they'll rebuild them to their specs, new hoses and a cooler, basically $1,500, it sounds great, but I just don't think $1,500 is in the budget right now, I'll have to get by with a stock pump and a cooler, but it is something I know I'm going to have to upgrade to.

He also mentioned the cooler needs to flow 12gpm.

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats
post #14 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

I'd go with a heat-sink style. Larger volume and work better than plate style at lower speed. If you wanted to get real fancy, you could probably put together a kit with a small fan and tstat, but I know you said you're on a budget.

Where in CT are you? I've mounted these in a few different places (In front of the radiator, under the radiator, fender well, etc) and would be more than happy to help you.

Edit: any reason you're not considering hydro? IMO, driveability is greatly improved.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
I'd go with a heat-sink style. Larger volume and work better than plate style at lower speed. If you wanted to get real fancy, you could probably put together a kit with a small fan and tstat, but I know you said you're on a budget.

Where in CT are you? I've mounted these in a few different places (In front of the radiator, under the radiator, fender well, etc) and would be more than happy to help you.

Edit: any reason you're not considering hydro? IMO, driveability is greatly improved.
What he said. Ill never go back to stock......ever. Improves everything about your steering both on and offroad. I run a 1.5" ram with the stock pump, stock box and a 17" single pass heatsink cooler mounted in front of the radiator like others above have posted. I thought my steering on the rocks sucked ass with only 37s I couldnt imagine how it would suck with 40s. A cooler aint gonna help you brah youll just keep blowing pumps and finger bangin your steering box. 40s are too much tire go hydro or go home and get laid
post #16 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Wheeler

I use this from PSC. Can mount a trans cooler also. But I am in the middle of a LS motor swap with a 4l80e and hydro assist steering so I actually need this stuff

Jeep JK Dual Power Steering / Transmission Cooler Kit PSC-MBC110K-2

Last edited by tech180; 09-01-2015 at 07:46 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-02-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Any one have any experience with this PSC set up?

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/07-10-...-kit-8131.html

Todd
2007 Unlimited
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode