Mounting a power steering cooler - options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
upalms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 876
Feedback: 0 reviews
Mounting a power steering cooler - options

I'm on my third power steering pump, JKU with 40's, and I'm going to add a cooler this time

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3000.htm

Wondering where the best place is to mount it, I see them on the radiator, under the front crossmember, just wondering where guys are mounting them

Thx

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
upalms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!
 
ALASHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 8,227
Feedback: 0 reviews

Just a thought. I used a Howe cooler as the fins are aligned with the direction that the air will flow across them:
http://www.howeperformance.com/parts/in-line-coolers/


I went with a 2x7 but you can go for the big boy and do a 3x12. I mounted it off of my AC condenser. Pics here:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166121


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ALASHA is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
 
Uncle Sams Misguided Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 52
Posts: 21,997
Feedback: 8 reviews

Just put it infront of the radiator, I think you can mount it to the crossmember right behind the grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Random Dude
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Bay, CA
Age: 49
Posts: 2,841
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by upalms View Post
I'm on my third power steering pump, JKU with 40's, and I'm going to add a cooler this time

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3000.htm

Wondering where the best place is to mount it, I see them on the radiator, under the front crossmember, just wondering where guys are mounting them

Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Just put it infront of the radiator, I think you can mount it to the crossmember right behind the grille.
Confirming that this location works:

I had to relocate the outside temperature sensor on my 2010 up to the clip where it mounted on earlier JKs, otherwise no hassle.
This pic is a few years old, and the Jeep has changed around the cooler, but I've never seen the need to move the cooler.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
ExWrench is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!
 
SoK66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Four Corners
Posts: 4,128
Feedback: 2 reviews

After I converted to WTOR hydro-boost I added a Derale dual pass heat sink cooler. Mounted it with the ports on passenger side, bolted to the lower radiator support crossmember, right behind the plastic grille. Very easy install and if you touch the hoses you realize how effective a cooler is.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
SoK66 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI
Posts: 570
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yep, lots of room in front of the radiator. Bad pic, but the grill is off so you can see it. This is the cooler I used and same one Ringer uses (I figure if it is the one a hydraulic steering engineer chose, it probably works well). http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumin...Inch,6768.html


Invest2m4 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Age: 39
Posts: 49
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post
Yep, lots of room in front of the radiator. Bad pic, but the grill is off so you can see it. This is the cooler I used and same one Ringer uses (I figure if it is the one a hydraulic steering engineer chose, it probably works well). http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumin...Inch,6768.html


Thats what I have...more fluid in the system the better. If it can stand the nuclear hot summers in Alabama/Georgia...I think I can safely say it is working very well.
Ridgeline Off Road is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Rock God
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Age: 31
Posts: 570
Feedback: 0 reviews

some may call it overkill, but it took 5 minutes to install and works great. Still running stock pump and box. Plenty of room behind the grill, and I have the tranny cooler in there too.


Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
Tweak is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
upalms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Thanks for all the feed back guys, I'm wondering how effective the two style coolers are compared to each other

Heat Sink style - http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3000.htm

Old school - http://www.quadratec.com/products/94000_4126.htm

The "Old school" style looks pretty stealth up against the radiator, doubt you'd even notice it there. The heat sink style, seems if it's mounted to low on the radiator doesn't seem like it would get the best airflow, mounting it higher or vertical in one of the openings seems better airflow wise but it can kind of look like a zit on your nose sitting there.

Just trying to decide which one to go with. Also, does anyone make a higher performance pump without going all the way to the power assist/ram set up? My son started collage yesterday, so my Jeep budget is a little tight right now.

Thx

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
upalms is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI
Posts: 570
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by upalms View Post
Thanks for all the feed back guys, I'm wondering how effective the two style coolers are compared to each other

Heat Sink style - http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_3000.htm

Old school - http://www.quadratec.com/products/94000_4126.htm

The "Old school" style looks pretty stealth up against the radiator, doubt you'd even notice it there. The heat sink style, seems if it's mounted to low on the radiator doesn't seem like it would get the best airflow, mounting it higher or vertical in one of the openings seems better airflow wise but it can kind of look like a zit on your nose sitting there.

Just trying to decide which one to go with. Also, does anyone make a higher performance pump without going all the way to the power assist/ram set up? My son started collage yesterday, so my Jeep budget is a little tight right now.

Thx

If you're on a budget, don't buy from Quadratec. I posted a link to a heat sink above that works great in the JK and there are plenty of us running it.
Invest2m4 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM
JKO Addict!
 
ALASHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 8,227
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by upalms View Post
Also, does anyone make a higher performance pump without going all the way to the power assist/ram set up?
Thx
Howe has an upgraded pump with several different valving options. I bet the pump with the highest valving would be pretty damn good without a ram. With a ram, it would be scary on the highway.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ALASHA is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI
Posts: 570
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Howe has an upgraded pump with several different valving options. I bet the pump with the highest valving would be pretty damn good without a ram. With a ram, it would be scary on the highway.
I'd worry about the steering box. It is already pushed past its limits on big tires as is. Turbo charging it sounds like bad news. I've seen the box shear off the frame on a Jeep with 35s.
Invest2m4 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
upalms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 876
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'll look at all the options, I get dealer pricing at Quadratec, usually pretty good and everything comes next day from PA even if I just pay ground. It has a brand new steering box on it with a sector shaft brace from JKS, it's pretty solid.

I just got off the phone with Howe, they won't sell just a pump. only complete system. If I send them my box and pump they'll rebuild them to their specs, new hoses and a cooler, basically $1,500, it sounds great, but I just don't think $1,500 is in the budget right now, I'll have to get by with a stock pump and a cooler, but it is something I know I'm going to have to upgrade to.

He also mentioned the cooler needs to flow 12gpm.

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
upalms is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Jeepineer
 
JKred07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Comminecticut
Posts: 1,495
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'd go with a heat-sink style. Larger volume and work better than plate style at lower speed. If you wanted to get real fancy, you could probably put together a kit with a small fan and tstat, but I know you said you're on a budget.

Where in CT are you? I've mounted these in a few different places (In front of the radiator, under the radiator, fender well, etc) and would be more than happy to help you.

Edit: any reason you're not considering hydro? IMO, driveability is greatly improved.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
JKred07 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Age: 38
Posts: 485
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
I'd go with a heat-sink style. Larger volume and work better than plate style at lower speed. If you wanted to get real fancy, you could probably put together a kit with a small fan and tstat, but I know you said you're on a budget.

Where in CT are you? I've mounted these in a few different places (In front of the radiator, under the radiator, fender well, etc) and would be more than happy to help you.

Edit: any reason you're not considering hydro? IMO, driveability is greatly improved.
What he said. Ill never go back to stock......ever. Improves everything about your steering both on and offroad. I run a 1.5" ram with the stock pump, stock box and a 17" single pass heatsink cooler mounted in front of the radiator like others above have posted. I thought my steering on the rocks sucked ass with only 37s I couldnt imagine how it would suck with 40s. A cooler aint gonna help you brah youll just keep blowing pumps and finger bangin your steering box. 40s are too much tire go hydro or go home and get laid
CrazyLarry is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 09-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Wheeler
 
tech180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Age: 39
Posts: 12
Feedback: 0 reviews

I use this from PSC. Can mount a trans cooler also. But I am in the middle of a LS motor swap with a 4l80e and hydro assist steering so I actually need this stuff

Jeep JK Dual Power Steering / Transmission Cooler Kit PSC-MBC110K-2

Last edited by tech180; 09-01-2015 at 07:46 PM.
tech180 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 09-02-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
upalms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 876
Feedback: 0 reviews

Any one have any experience with this PSC set up?

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/07-10-...-kit-8131.html

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
upalms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome