Best lift kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Best lift kit

Hey all I'm getting my first car soon which will be a Jk but before you guys call me out on being a spoiled brat I just want to let you know I worked my ass off for two years saving up for this car so a good chunk of the price is being paid by me. Anyways I don't plan on taking my jeep off-roading and wanted to know what lift kit would suit me best I'll be paying for it out my own pocket so I don't want to waste my money on some crap that I'll end up replacing witgin a year. It'll be my daily driver I plan on rocking 35s on it with a 3.5 inch lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 03:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome Congrats on your choice of a Jeep. First most Jeepers don't call our vehicles cars. I'm not trying to be hard on you but that is something we normally don't do because our Jeeps can do so much more than a car.

Since you say you are not going to go offroad with your Jeep then a low cost lift like Rough Country will get you what you are looking for at about $550. This is not the kind of lift for serious offroad but this is the kind of lift you are asking for in your post.
Rough Country 609S 3.5" Suspension Lift Kit for Jeep Wrangler

Look around the site for more information and ideas. We can help you spend all your money. https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25153

I don't understand not going offroad but that's why Jeeps are so great. You can use them so many ways.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 08-23-2015 at 04:09 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Wheeler

Which model JK are you planning on buying? Auto, Manual? as with a Rubicon you could get away with 35's and 4.10 gears 4.56 would be better.

if you don't plan on taking it off-road, I'm guessing you want that aggressive look, but still good road manners as close to stock as possible? Look at Metal Cloak true dual rate, its a bit harsh ride compared to stock, but a good ride. Teraflex would be a great choice as well for daily driving.

If you want a nice look and stock soft ride, go with a 2"spacer lift, wheel spacers and 33's. below is a JKUR with a 2" spacer lift and 33's. even with 2" spacer kit I would also go for a front and rear track bars and rear track bar bracket to raise your roll center and front upper adjustable arms (for proper caster) to get rid off wondering as I experienced. with 4.10 gears and 33's its ok for daily driving.

Currently I'm running a metalcloak 2.5" true dual rate fox edition kit, because the above 2" spacer lift was not that great for off road use due to the soft stock springs. The 2.5" lift is great on the road, but my 33's now look out of place, 35's would fit a lot better on a 2.5" lift. for a 3.5" I think a 37" is a good fit.

here are some suggestions for a lift.

MetalCloak's Overland Elite Lift System

JK Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit

Teraflex with Flex Arms

these are the kits I have had the pleasure of experiencing, others might have better suggestions.

Last edited by raf2379; 08-23-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
Welcome Congrats on your choice of a Jeep. First most Jeepers don't call our vehicles cars. I'm not trying to be hard on you but that is something we normally don't do because our Jeeps can do so much more than a car.

Since you say you are not going to go offroad with your Jeep then a low cost lift like Rough Country will get you what you are looking for at about $550. This is not the kind of lift for serious offroad but this is the kind of lift you are asking for in your post.
Rough Country 609S 3.5" Suspension Lift Kit for Jeep Wrangler

Look around the site for more information and ideas. We can help you spend all your money. https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25153

I don't understand not going offroad but that's why Jeeps are so great. You can use them so many ways.

Well the reason i don't plan on going off-road is because i go to the motocross track every weekend and i have plenty of fun doing that. But ill probably give this offroad thing a try eventually. (the real reason i don't want to go offroad is I'm terrified of scratching my jeep) I found a couple of good deals on my craigslist for some lightly used kits would this be a good route to take or should i go new?
post #5 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf2379 View Post
Which model JK are you planning on buying? Auto, Manual? as with a Rubicon you could get away with 35's and 4.10 gears 4.56 would be better.

if you don't plan on taking it off-road, I'm guessing you want that aggressive look, but still good road manners as close to stock as possible? Look at Metal Cloak true dual rate, its a bit harsh ride compared to stock, but a good ride. Teraflex would be a great choice as well for daily driving.

If you want a nice look and stock soft ride, go with a 2"spacer lift, wheel spacers and 33's. below is a JKUR with a 2" spacer lift and 33's. even with 2" spacer kit I would also go for a front and rear track bars and rear track bar bracket to raise your roll center and front upper adjustable arms (for proper caster) to get rid off wondering as I experienced. with 4.10 gears and 33's its ok for daily driving.

Currently I'm running a metalcloak 2.5" true dual rate fox edition kit, because the above 2" spacer lift was not that great for off road use. The 2.5" lift is great on the road, but my 33's now look out of place, 35's would fit a lot better on a 2.5" lift. for a 3.5" I think a 37" is a good fit.

here are some suggestions for a lift.

MetalCloak's Overland Elite Lift System

JK Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit

Teraflex with Flex Arms

these are the kits I have had the pleasure of experiencing, others might have better suggestions.
ill be getting an automatic but I'm not too sure on which model it'll most likely be a sahara. Yeah i was thinking a 3.5 inch lift on 35's didn't fit right but the guy i was talking to insisted that it was. id love 37's but thats way too much money for me to spend haha. ill probably go for a 2.5-3 inch lift with 35's, i don't need to cut my fenders or anything for a 2.5 inch lift with 35's correct?
post #6 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 04:39 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motolover1 View Post
ill be getting an automatic but I'm not too sure on which model it'll most likely be a sahara. Yeah i was thinking a 3.5 inch lift on 35's didn't fit right but the guy i was talking to insisted that it was. id love 37's but thats way too much money for me to spend haha. ill probably go for a 2.5-3 inch lift with 35's, i don't need to cut my fenders or anything for a 2.5 inch lift with 35's correct?
correct no trimming necessary.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Rock God

Are you planning on getting a 2 door or a 4 door? If you get a 2012+ with an Auto, 3.73 gears and 35's it will be tolerable for a DD unless you also plan on towing your bikes with it. In that case, you may be looking at a regear so keep that in mind for your budget.

Stick with a 2.5" lift for 35's on a daily driver. That will keep your suspension and steering geometry better which will help maintain a comfortable ride and good handling without dumping a pile of cash into steering correction and a full set of control arms.

If you get a Sahara with 18" wheels, you can run a narrower 35" tire like a 285/75R18 which will help with clearance and rubbing allowing you to better adjust your bump stops for shock clearance instead of tire clearance.

For a DD with minimal offroad, I like the control arm drop brackets. They will improve geometry and correct caster at the same time. Metalcloak offers a few variations of their lift that includes the drop brackets.

If you have the budget, I agree with getting the Metalcloak Overland Elite lift. It's complete and your done.
http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Overlan...cks-p/7148.htm

Another good option is pairing Flat Flares and/or a 1"-1.25" body lift with a mild 2"-2.5" to gain some tire clears, a little extra height, or just appearance. You'll need around 2.5"-3" bump stop extension (without flat flares or a body lift) for 35x12.50's to keep them out of the flares. Running a narrow 35 like the 285/75R18 may cut down on the bump stop extension needed due to tucking in behind the factory fender flare lip.

I would avoid coil spacer lifts. Yes they are cheap and will get you on 35's, but chances are your going to end up wanting bumpers, a winch, tire carrier, and since your 17 yrs old you'll end up with a Jeep full of friends (hopefully female). With the additional weight your factory coils will end up sagging under the load.... And then you'll be right back here where you started. Get a good set of coils from the start.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 07:19 PM
Rock God

For a cheap option...
I'm keeping my wife's 2014 JKU (3.73's and Auto) simple on 35's mounted on stock 17's with Synergy 1.5" wheel spacers. Synergy 2" front coils, 1" rear coils, 1.25" Rough Country Body Lift, and control arm drop brackets. With 2" bump stops and the Body Lift I have the clearance I need for the 35's for DD and mild offroad. I used the rear sway bar links off of my 2 door on the front of the 4 door.

The only other thing I may add after the control arm drop brackets will be a rear axle side trackbar bracket. It made a big difference on my 2 and I want her JKU to be as comfortable as possible.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Rock God

Teraflex makes some good simple 2.5" lifts also.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528f...d962f416e72d47

I installed this lift (Only for a 2dr) on a friends JK a month or so and he his running 35's on it.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-23-2015, 08:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Id stay with a simple BB if not going off road. Maybe a set if drop brackets to keep caster angle in spec.
Rough country sells a 2.5 BB for around $200. No problem running a 35 as Long as the wheels have the proper backspacing.

Good luck

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #11 of 22 Old 08-24-2015, 08:40 AM
JKowners Vendor

Definitely for your needs keeping it simple will be great.

Heck, for street use you could get away with a 2.5" lift, flat fenders and run 37's with no issues at all.

It will be important for day to day driving to make sure to keep your caster in a good range. Typically some form of caster correction will be desired at 2" of lift or greater.

Good luck with your build. If you have any questions on our Rock Krawler Systems, feel free to give us a shout..

RK
post #12 of 22 Old 08-24-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
Are you planning on getting a 2 door or a 4 door? If you get a 2012+ with an Auto, 3.73 gears and 35's it will be tolerable for a DD unless you also plan on towing your bikes with it. In that case, you may be looking at a regear so keep that in mind for your budget.

Stick with a 2.5" lift for 35's on a daily driver. That will keep your suspension and steering geometry better which will help maintain a comfortable ride and good handling without dumping a pile of cash into steering correction and a full set of control arms.

If you get a Sahara with 18" wheels, you can run a narrower 35" tire like a 285/75R18 which will help with clearance and rubbing allowing you to better adjust your bump stops for shock clearance instead of tire clearance.

For a DD with minimal offroad, I like the control arm drop brackets. They will improve geometry and correct caster at the same time. Metalcloak offers a few variations of their lift that includes the drop brackets.

If you have the budget, I agree with getting the Metalcloak Overland Elite lift. It's complete and your done.

Another good option is pairing Flat Flares and/or a 1"-1.25" body lift with a mild 2"-2.5" to gain some tire clears, a little extra height, or just appearance. You'll need around 2.5"-3" bump stop extension (without flat flares or a body lift) for 35x12.50's to keep them out of the flares. Running a narrow 35 like the 285/75R18 may cut down on the bump stop extension needed due to tucking in behind the factory fender flare lip.

I would avoid coil spacer lifts. Yes they are cheap and will get you on 35's, but chances are your going to end up wanting bumpers, a winch, tire carrier, and since your 17 yrs old you'll end up with a Jeep full of friends (hopefully female). With the additional weight your factory coils will end up sagging under the load.... And then you'll be right back here where you started. Get a good set of coils from the start.
I'll be getting a 4 door, ill end up replacing the rims with 15 inch fuel revolvers since tires with a 15 inch rim size are a bit cheaper. Yeah it seems like coils are the way to go so ill invest in a good kit that i won't have to worry about further down the road. Also how reliable is a newer wrangler?

Last edited by Motolover1; 08-24-2015 at 04:41 PM.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Wheeler

15s are great as you say for the cheaper rubber. However downside is you can't fit bigger brakes, tie rod etc. If I'm reading it right your new car (jeep) is whats known as a mall crawler so you should be fine. If so just get a spacer lift and put on 33s or 35's. If you go 37s your asking for problems (buying more parts) due to the weight. Plus you get out of C load range tires.

2011 Jk 2 door 6 speed. 5.13 gears, 1350 driveshafts, cooper sst+ 35s, warn 9.5, various armor, 1/4 pounder bumper, 12 inch King coil overs, CB, still running the dana 30 sleeved and gusseted up front. Someday wanna go with 1 ton axels but for now I love my JK.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well the reason i don't plan on going off-road is because i go to the motocross track every weekend and i have plenty of fun doing that. But ill probably give this offroad thing a try eventually. (the real reason i don't want to go offroad is I'm terrified of scratching my jeep) I found a couple of good deals on my craigslist for some lightly used kits would this be a good route to take or should i go new?
on calling it what it is; ".....something we normally don't do because our Jeeps ..." are Jeeps; not cars. No other reason. A Jeep is sort of a truck but definately not a car. There are cars , there are trucks and there are Jeeps.

as for ," I'm terrified of scratching my jeep", well , the first trail-pinstripe or rock-rash is a toughy, but after that it is all about functionality over any form preservation . It is a lot like scars or tattoos ?
I ,too, ride bikes (and my kids have their little crfs )but one good wheeling trip results in no further need to answer the itch with two wheels for me .... after the fun of beating on your Jeep as God intended them to be, you may want to sell your bike for better Jeep parts....ask me how I know this.... here's an older pict from near the time when being worried about 'SCRATCHING' my black Jeep no longer became a concern on mine....

if you take this good advise, please look at TeraFlex ; as good as a few of the Rough Country parts can be ( few and far between), you don't want to put the low end stuff on your rig ( I have bought MANY RC parts ; no need to back them , guys) even if just a spacer lift/leveling kit. It is so important to realize in more ways than one that you will get what ya pay for so spend for quality and you will be fine with whatever you choose. TeraFlex makes great intro stuff for spacer kits, leveling kits to start out with. Also, so doees Rock Krawler and Metal Cloak and Synergy. you cannot go wrong with any of those. you can even buy a poly-urethane spacer set off eBay that will suffice. Just don't go to RC and get metal spacers and cheap shock extentions. I promise you'll be grateful.
If you go with coils, look at Synergy; my Synergy 3" have not sagged or changed firmness in three years of hard wheeling and over 50,000 miles. Granted my JKUr is light ( with freedom-top and 37" spare + all recovery gear and tools and a freind , it is under 4900lbs) but they make just awesome coil-springs. If you want level stance, either get the 3" front springs+ 2" rears( the 2" coils are not dual rate from Synergy) ; if you want true dual rated on all four corners, get the 4 pack of 2.5" coils from Metal Cloak and add a .75-1" spacer up front to level it. Hope this helps. Welcome and Jeep On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-25-2015, 05:57 AM
JKO Addict!

The RC 2.5 BB is the only product i will recommend from them. A BB is a BB imo,

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #16 of 22 Old 08-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
ill probably go for a 2.5-3 inch lift with 35's, i don't need to cut my fenders or anything for a 2.5 inch lift with 35's correct?
I added 35's and the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift right after I bought my 2009 2 dr JK and the tires would rub against the plastic front bumper at full turn. I put on an after market front bumper and the problem went away but I also could have trimmed some plastic. That particular 2.5" Tera coil lift took u a little higher than 2.5".
post #17 of 22 Old 09-01-2015, 05:01 AM
Granite Guru

RC lift kit is enough since you have no plan to take your rig off the road.
post #18 of 22 Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Wheeler

I have the Fabtech Lift Kit on my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sport and they work great.
post #19 of 22 Old 09-02-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Definitely for your needs keeping it simple will be great.

Heck, for street use you could get away with a 2.5" lift, flat fenders and run 37's with no issues at all.

It will be important for day to day driving to make sure to keep your caster in a good range. Typically some form of caster correction will be desired at 2" of lift or greater.

Good luck with your build. If you have any questions on our Rock Krawler Systems, feel free to give us a shout..

RK
I've heard some great things about you guys and am 99% sure i'd like to go with one of your kits. I was wanting to know if the "Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor Mid Arm Stage 1 System Lift Kit" would suit me well for some very light off-roading and 95% road use. The reason id like to go with this kit is i'd most likely never have to upgrade and wouldn't worry about anything going wrong on my jeep suspension wise.
thanks,
post #20 of 22 Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post

So the metal cloak has absolutely everything i need, relocation brackets and all that correct? For a 2.5" lift do i need more than 5.5" of backspacing or less?
post #21 of 22 Old 09-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I've heard some great things about you guys and am 99% sure i'd like to go with one of your kits. I was wanting to know if the "Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor Mid Arm Stage 1 System Lift Kit" would suit me well for some very light off-roading and 95% road use. The reason id like to go with this kit is i'd most likely never have to upgrade and wouldn't worry about anything going wrong on my jeep suspension wise.
thanks,
I have friends that have ran RK 2 1/2 lifts over the Rubicon and a ton of other similar trails here in Cali. It will do what you want.
post #22 of 22 Old 09-02-2015, 06:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
So the metal cloak has absolutely everything i need, relocation brackets and all that correct? For a 2.5" lift do i need more than 5.5" of backspacing or less?

4.5 or less

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode