Soon To Be A Noob... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Soon To Be A Noob...

Buying a JK 2 door Sport (or if I can find a Willy's with a 6-speed in my area) soon sometime next year and have been planning my rig build -- wanting to go with the:

- Barricade Trail Force HD front and rear bumper w/their winch
- wanting to run 35" tires (possibility of 37" later on in the future)
- Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor Lift Kit

A few friends have TJs, drove them and had fun every time. The Jeep will be my DD and weekend warrior or whenever I want to stray off the highway visiting my girlfriend -- she wont care right? lol Not looking to do anything major like rock crawling on a competition level or the hit the trails of "Hell's Revenge" right off the bat. Just a some fun here and there with some friends on trails around Texas when the opportunity presents itself.

Did some forum research. The questions I have is, riding on the stock flares with the 2.5" lift; with the heavy duty front bumper w/a winch and rear bumper weighing roughly 208lbs (give or take) total -- would it weigh down and decrease the height and if so, by how much? I'm thinking can't be more than 0.25" or 0.5" at most or are the springs just that good? I'm want to go with the 4.10 gears at the same time when I switch to 35" tires to achieve some power back and better throttle response or would it be pointless and better to go with the 4.56? Gas guzzling doesn't bother me that much, my mr2 turbo gets around 15/18mpg in the city and 20 on the highway if i stay in vacuum and don't hit boost -- paying for the smiles and not the miles when it comes to a car I love.

And another question, with the X-Factor lift kit -- I'm wanting to go with Bilstein 5100, but with the 2.5" lift. Would you suggest to go with the:

- 1.5" to 3" or the 3.5" to 5" for the front shocks

and

- 2" to 3.5" or the 4" to 5" for the rear shocks

Would going with the longer shocks for more travel with the shocks be possible or is to the point where it would hurt more than help/compliment the lift mechanically?

Entering the Jeep world is a whole different ballgame, I've always lowered and tracked cars -- but never lifted one or driven on trails other than being in the passenger seat. So as much insight/advice/guidance I can get would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Johnny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Wheeler

From someone that learned the hard way, don't consider 37's unless you are prepared to do axle swaps, new driveshafts, steering box braces, HD ball joints, stronger control arms, etc, etc. Stay with 35's. Especially for a DD. I just finished with all of the above and while I'm not entirely unhappy with having to put these upgrades on, had I planned it better, I could have done it over time instead of a major f**ing expenditure.

As far as brands, there are so many out there with an ever bigger variety of opinions on what is best, you're better off researching and pick what you think is best. Grab the supplier catalogs, make a spread sheet and lay it all out. Don't be afraid to call suppliers up either. I did when I was undecided on axle manufactures to go with and I learned more in that 20 minute conversation than I did in several trips to the local guys store. Whatever you do, do not scrimp on quality. You're doing a significant modification to a well engineered vehicle. Use an equally well engineered lift for your own sake. That sometimes means more money, but long term you're better off.

If you can, go to some events and talk to guys that have a look on their Jeep that you are after & see what they are running. Hell, stop someone at the local convenience store & chat him up. Lord knows we all love talking about our rides! You can only get so much info from these forums. They're a great place for info but nothing beats a real conversation with back & forth dialog.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Soon To Be A Noob...

You can run 37's at 2.5 inches w/ flat flares, and Maybe some light trimming. You will have to play with bump stop height depending on the shock and tire clearance.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Rock God

Welcome aboard.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Okay, that's a bit more of insight -- not looking to do anything major so I'll go with the 2.5" lift driving on 35" tires as a DD. That way the suspension and clearance is there when I need it for trail fun.

As far as Lockers go, do y'all think the way the Sport is platformed with no lockers -- would be fine for a little off road fun or to just go ahead and aftermarket lockers? Or is upgrading to the Lockers off the Rubicon from the dealership worth it?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Rock God

Welcome To JKO !
post #7 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Wheeler

I have a 4D sport with 35s and flat flares, and I've been able to get through pretty much everything I have given a shot. Mind you, the jeep is only 2 months old, and I haven't ordered the lift yet, but considering I haven't done much more than you would have on a stock jeep, I think you'll be surprised at what your new toy can do. I live in NV, so most of my off road is rocks, and a lot of suspension flexing. Everyone is so quick to order this or that, but why not go out and get a set of off road tires used on CL, and then take it out, and see what you like, and move from there?
post #8 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

You have a point there -- I guess I'm just stressing myself out more than I have too. I was just thinking if I should upgrade to the lockers from the Rubicon out of the factory to save myself from doing so later on. But chasing down JK owners today, talked to as many as I could run into today -- they all tell me that the Sport axles hold up pretty well and haven't had a problem unless I was getting into major rock crawling and have not.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Wheeler

You'll find guys that wheel on 40 inch tires, and a D30 up front, and swear by it. You'll also find guys that have destroyed complete one tons on the trail. Everyone has a different opinion because everyone has a different style of wheeling. You'll learn more by going out with your local jeep club than you will spending equal time hunched over a computer. You'll learn how you like to drive, how you like to approach things, what makes you uncomfortable, and what you're willing to sacrifice. You can read tons of threads on a lift kit, but ride quality is subjective, and lift height is generally different because everyone's jeep doesn't have the same weight added. (Read as bumpers, winches, lights, etc).

Just be forewarned that the more risky you get, the bigger your bank account could get hit. My jeep is the daily driver, so I keep the in mind when I wheel. Some of these guys park their jeep and drive something else to work. Please remember that when you ask for advice/try something someone else has done.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Welcome to JKO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode