Rock Krawler question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-20-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Rock Krawler question

Hello this is my first post and I need some help.

I have a 2014 Jeep JK 4 door with a rock krawler 3.5" X factor suspension kit, blistien shocks, 3" bump stops, and 37" tires with 4.5" of bs. The kit is setup as described in there manual. Sitting on flat ground it has about 3" between the factory rubber bumper and the rk 3" bump stop extensions.

I just did the install 6 months ago.

Here is the problem, it bottoms out like crazy with 4 people in it. Even when driving on the street. Was in Moab a month ago and it hits the stops hard during any trails we did, mostly the rears. Would think the springs would be more progressive.

I called rk and they didn't have an answer. I need help.

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Can you post a picture of the rear shocks and bump stops at ride height and maybe loaded with passengers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 06:06 AM
JKowners Vendor

How fast are you going through the trails ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Without pics I'd say you need more shock absorber, and perhaps some hydraulic bump stops.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 AM
JKowners Vendor

Whom did you speak with that could not give you an answer sir?

There are several possible solutions or things to look at.

First regarding the basic install, lets make sure the pinion is correct so the coils are standing up properly and accepting load correctly...

If the above is not correct, then we suggest correcting that first. The pinion should be 2 to 3 degrees down from the driveshaft on a hard level surface...

Then, check for blown shocks or soft shocks. You might need a firmer shock or an adjustable dampening rate shock to compensate for your various loading conditions in the back.

Next, check your usable compression. If you have no rubbing and flat fenders, you could possibly go with a shorter rear bump stop to allow for more coil spring use and less bottoming. Every inch counts pack there with progressive coils... Our coils are very similar to a true racing coil...

Either way, good luck, hope that gives you some ideas.... Again, if someone here could not give you suggestions like that, we would like to know whom you spoke with. We could possibly have an issue with an employees customer support that needs to be addressed...

RK
post #6 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Wheeler

I have the same setup exactly except I have 35's. I took it to an alignment show and had them check the pinion angles for me and I have not experienced this.

On a different note, how are you with those 37's and rubbing with only 4.5" backspacing? Are you experiencing any rubbing on arms or frame at full lock or issues flexing? I was thinking about going to 37's with my 4.5" bs wheels, but have been holding off since I heard you have to go to 3.5-4"bs to accommodate.

2014 JKUR Anvil--Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor with Synergy TieRod/High Steer Flip Drag Link. 35" BFG KO2
2006 TJ Rubi Solar Yellow---Retired
post #7 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

My 37x12.5's nip the arms full lock left and right. I just added two washers to each stop.
A friend has Nitto's and i think they are wider ? Hers hit the LCA's pretty good.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #8 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I will check the pinion angle and adjust. The RK guy I spoke with suggested I bring the rear axle forward a half inch or so, because I have contact at the rear fenders wells with flat fenders. I run the bilstein shocks recommended by RK.

I run those wide 37" nito tires and put two washers on the steering stops. No rub with 4.5 bs wheels.

Low speed in the trails bottoms out very easily.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Trying to load a photo, hope it works. I do need to move the sway bar frame mounts back an inch, but don't think its the problem.
Attached Images

post #10 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

how much shaft do you have showing on your shocks at ride height?

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Are you sure it's not your links hitting ?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 20 Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had a similar issue with my jkur, but only 2.5" max travel after about 18 months.
Loads of equal weights started to hit bumps at the rear. Went to a metal cloak 3.5" spring and fox shocks for a firmer, almost too firm but acceptable ride.
Also went to 3.5 bs after my 4.5 bs soft 8's were still running on control arms at full lock.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-22-2015, 05:37 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

You track bar bracket is hitting the extended bump stop pad. You can see where it's making contact in the pic. You have you axle too far back.

Can you take a pic of your Jeep from the side and post it? That doesn't look like much space between the extended bump pad and the bump stop for a 3.5 inch RK lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #14 of 20 Old 08-22-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

The shock has about 5.5" of shaft showing on level ground, unloaded. I'm diffinatly moving the rear axle a little forward. But if you look at the photo maybe a half inch to an inch at most.

There is about 2.5 to 3 inch between the raised bump stop and the factory rubber bumper.

There is contact on the raised bump stop

The springs just seem to be so soft.
Attached Images

post #15 of 20 Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

With your set up running 3.5" of lift and flat fenders I would say you are running about 2" too much bump stop. The coils may be soft but if you are at full bump around 4" and have 5.5" of shaft showing you have lost 1.5" of suspension travel. I don't know your wheel bs so you should verify by articulating your suspension for tire clearance.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #16 of 20 Old 08-23-2015, 07:40 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

What about the track bar bracket hitting the extended bump pad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #17 of 20 Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepala View Post
Trying to load a photo, hope it works. I do need to move the sway bar frame mounts back an inch, but don't think its the problem.
That is required per the instructions for sure.. Some self tapping hardware will do the trick for you..

RK
post #18 of 20 Old 08-24-2015, 01:36 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepala View Post
The shock has about 5.5" of shaft showing on level ground, unloaded. I'm diffinatly moving the rear axle a little forward. But if you look at the photo maybe a half inch to an inch at most.

There is about 2.5 to 3 inch between the raised bump stop and the factory rubber bumper.

There is contact on the raised bump stop

The springs just seem to be so soft.
You definitely have more shock to use for sure. The more you get into the coils, the more they stiffen up. They should be ramping up about 3" into the rear travel for most common builds.

The rear axle looks pretty well centered in the rear wheel well that you are showing.. Maybe move it forward just a bit....

RK
post #19 of 20 Old 09-06-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Problem solved, thanks everyone for your input. Yesterday I found that when the shop that did my front alignment decided to adjust the rear pinion angle. In doing so they pushed the rear axle back 5/8 to one inch out of rock krawler suggested upper and lower arm length. Each arm was a different length. So after resetting the length of each and cycling the suspension without springs, nothing hits.

The ride is so much better.

Thanks
post #20 of 20 Old 09-08-2015, 11:38 AM
JKowners Vendor

Sounds good bud. Glad everyone was helpful.. Proper installation is key when there are so many things that can be adjusted....

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode