Wrangler Big Brake Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Au Fever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-19-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wrangler Big Brake Kit

Anybody have this kit. Wrangler Big Brake Kit P 5160051. Looking to use this on My currie Rock Jocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

I just got it done- the Mopar Big Brake kit. It is an amazing mod. I was using the Black Magic pads which are better than stock but this setup is ridiculously good. I was shocked (impressively). Running 35s here.

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #3 of 25 Old 08-20-2015, 02:43 AM
Rock God

Yeah its a simple but most effective mod. The brake booster is dual diaphram and master cylinder is big bore.

The only issue i have now is that my brake pedal is pushed further up wondering if there is any adjustment on the brake booster shaft ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Rock God

Teraflex may want to take a gander at this pricing. Either their site is lacking information of what's included, or they are grasping for top dollar for minimal 'universal' parts. (Universal as in the rotors are obviously not JK specific, Mopars are!)

All inclusive Mopart kit: $673.48

Tera kit (just rotors, pads, calipers): $747.95
Tera Master cylinder: $209.99
-----------------------------------
Almost $1000 for Tera's kit and you still don't get a booster with it (whether you need it or not).

It seems when Tera first came out with their kit it was in the $400 range without the added booster/master. WTF, when did the price double?
post #5 of 25 Old 08-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

I wonder if the booster does push the pedal up- will find out if there is a solution. I thick my pedal engages slightly higher now too, but it does not bug me. The way this works though...I am betting it puts a drag on TeraFlex and DynaTrac big brake sales. With all stock parts, I can get pads/rotors at the dealer too.

The booster is bigger/thicker (mostly thicker or deeper) and the reservoir is taller and sits a big higher with the cap now at the front instead of the rear part of the reservoir. So if planning on an air compressor bracket (like the M.O.R.E. for the ARB win compressor) make sure it will fit. I don't think that one will but it should be easy for the bracket makers to make the needed changes.

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #6 of 25 Old 08-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Does anyone have the part n number for replacement pads and rotors for this kit?

Both of those parts are considered consumable items.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the help all. Will be ordering this kit.
post #8 of 25 Old 08-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Rock God

post #9 of 25 Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Part number for replacement pads and rotors?
post #10 of 25 Old 08-21-2015, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

I'd be interested in the part number for the front brake lines. I have the Tera BBK which has the same rear mounted flex line port on the caliper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #11 of 25 Old 08-22-2015, 05:06 PM

Just got the kit

I'm hoping to get them installed next weekend, just in time for the Dakota Territory Challenge in the Black Hills. I can't wait to try out these brakes!

Pads: 5143350AC
Rotors: 52060137AB
LH Brake Hose: 68184809AA
RH Brake Hose: 68184808AA

Last edited by Au Fever; 08-22-2015 at 05:20 PM.
post #12 of 25 Old 08-22-2015, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

FWIW, much of the P5160051 kit appears to be sourced from RAM 1500, calipers, pads & brake lines. The 13" rotor is taken from the BR6 kit, which is either JK export or Dodge Nitro. The caliper support is specific to the kit. Haven't checked the booster & MC numbers yet. If all that stuff is included with booster & master it's a steal.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-22-2015, 06:29 PM

Big Brake

The kit was $738 (shipped) from moparonlineparts.com. Looks like I paid a little more, but at the local dealer they wanted $1250 (not installed). They told me there were only 2 kits in the U.S. I guess that means there's only one left now! Ha!
I scanned the instructions if anyone wants to see them.
Nicholas likes this.

If you aren't living on the edge, you are taking up too much room.

Last edited by Au Fever; 08-22-2015 at 06:36 PM.
post #14 of 25 Old 08-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Rock God

We’re sure that the Mopar Big Brake Kit will be a well-engineered piece. Please note, though, that this is a front brake kit only, and you’ll really need the master cylinder to realize the full benefit of the larger front calipers. You’ll also need to bleed the brakes for installation, which is quite challenging on a vehicle like a Wrangler that has stability control. You may want to check out our ProGrip Brake System that upgrades the front and rear brakes. A lot of our customers, and even Four Wheeler magazine, have noted that it makes a huge improvement in braking that you can feel every time you apply the brakes, not just during panic stops. Plus, you don’t have to bleed the brakes as it retains the stock master cylinder and calipers, so the installation is easy and can be done by just about anyone.
post #15 of 25 Old 08-28-2015, 04:32 AM

Why couldnt you get additional discs and calipers for the rear? I would think they are the same as the front. If the Mopar Big Brake system is based on the Dodge nitro brakes, then it'd be relatively simple to upgrade those later. The new master cylinder and booster should handle that easily.
I have the disc/caliper installed and braking is improved already. I'll have the booster/master done this weekend.

Au

Last edited by Au Fever; 08-28-2015 at 04:38 AM.
post #16 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Wheeler

Glad to find this. After putting 40s on, I need a brake upgrade.

2010JKU rubicon, 4'' lift, Currie arms, Synergy ball joints, gussets, and sleeves,Currie high steer and track bar, 40" Procomp MT2 tires, Pro Comp wheels, 5:13 gears, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tom Woods shaft, Warn Powerplant front, Warn VR8000 rear. Masterpull synthetic lines
post #17 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Rear brakes don't match front, so adding same on the rear won't work.

That doesn't matter though. This brake setup is a HUGE improvement! Love them!

post #18 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 PM

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  579.2 KB

post #19 of 25 Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Granite Guru

If you look in the other thread about the non USA brake parts for a J8 you will see that many of the newer JK/JKU's have the larger MC and booster as standard. Something to look at before ordering.

On the topic of the pedal being "pushed up further". What does that mean? Is the pedal itself higher up as in closer to me or closer to the fire wall?

Thanks
post #20 of 25 Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au Fever View Post
Why couldnt you get additional discs and calipers for the rear? I would think they are the same as the front. If the Mopar Big Brake system is based on the Dodge nitro brakes, then it'd be relatively simple to upgrade those later. The new master cylinder and booster should handle that easily.
I have the disc/caliper installed and braking is improved already. I'll have the booster/master done this weekend.

Au
The rotors in the Dynatrac kit for the rear are over 14".
post #21 of 25 Old 08-31-2015, 06:35 AM
Rock God

The pedal is pushed further up towards you leaving some distance between gas pedal and brake pedal
post #22 of 25 Old 05-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Wheeler

I'm piecing together a parts list with a 'lowest price' goal. My idea is to go off the parts list from the Mopar Big Brake Kit and source from wherever possible to keep the cost down.

Some things I've run into:

1. The part number listed on another thread for the 13" rotors keeps coming up as a stock JK rotor(11"). From what I've read, the rotors used in the kit are from the J8, but I have also read that the J8 is not 5x5 bolt pattern. Furthermore, I can't seem to find front J8 rotors anywhere(not surprisingly). So right now I am leaning towards using the 13" from the BR6, though I'm not sure what the thickness is and whether or not a 2-piston caliper would be too much for it(I'm no engineer).

2. Most sites have a core charge for calipers, though I think I may have found one without. Far as I know, you have to return the same part in order to get the reimbursement.

Does anyone have any insight into which is the correct part # for the rotors used in the Mopar BBK?
post #23 of 25 Old 05-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Wheeler

J8 rotors are 5 x 5.5
I believe these rotors are from BR6
The calipers are dodge ram 1500 but it takes a special mount to mount that caliper to the JK knuckle.

Last edited by Jampop1; 05-29-2017 at 03:52 PM.
post #24 of 25 Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 PM
Granite Guru

Trying to avoid starting a new thread.

3 questions.

1. can anyone point me to the solution for the Mopar Big Brake kit with manual transmission. I know you have get a different reservoir but I can find a thread or post that spells it out.

2. Any issues with installing it on a Prorock 44 front and a G2 Currie Rockjock rear. Both axles used the stock brakes so Im assuming not.

3. Whats the best rear brake system to go with. My emergency brake already sucks... Teraflex or Dyantrac
post #25 of 25 Old 05-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineGuy View Post
Trying to avoid starting a new thread.

3 questions.

1. can anyone point me to the solution for the Mopar Big Brake kit with manual transmission. I know you have get a different reservoir but I can find a thread or post that spells it out.

2. Any issues with installing it on a Prorock 44 front and a G2 Currie Rockjock rear. Both axles used the stock brakes so Im assuming not.

3. Whats the best rear brake system to go with. My emergency brake already sucks... Teraflex or Dyantrac
I taped the reservoir and installed a fitting for the line

No I don't see a problem unless I am over looking something

I am using the Progrip in the rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode