Teraflex Rzeppa High Angle CV Joint - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Teraflex Rzeppa High Angle CV Joint

So my front drive shaft gave up the ghost this weekend and while I do get on the trails often I keep it really mild. That being said, I didn't want to drop $375 on a new front drive shaft and saw Terfaflex is making a rebuild kit for this joint. Its suppose to accommodate the higher angles. Any one have any experience with this kit? I am looking to order it by weeks end and wanted to see if there were any reviews out there.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/55c3...a25c5bb1173c17

Last edited by Tdic; 08-17-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Rock God

To my eye that kit looks exactly like the crown rebuild kit , only I wasted a little less than that on it.

I say "wasted" because the joint failed again after I rebuilt it in only like 4 months, while the stock one had lasted a couple years on my 3" synergy lifted JKU.

I would say any money spent on that kit will be wasted when you have to buy a new aftermarket shaft a few months later when the rebuild fails...
post #3 of 82 Old 08-17-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's actually a little different than the crown rebuild kit. The flange is different as well as the boot, both allowing for Higher angles than the stock/crown parts, this much I know for a fact. However, you could rebuild the joint 4-5 times with the crown kit before you spent enough to buy a shaft. If I wheeled harder I would deffinitly buy a shaft. Just looking for any first hand experience on the teraflex kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 Old 08-17-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just for everyone's info I'm running a 2.5" Rock krawler lift. Shaft went 100,150 miles before it failed.
post #5 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdic View Post
Just for everyone's info I'm running a 2.5" Rock krawler lift. Shaft went 100,150 miles before it failed.
Then I would absolutely give that TF part a try if I were you. I have the same suspension and my OEM shafts are holding up so far, too, but I'm only at 30,000 miles. I'll try the TF kit when the time comes.
post #6 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

What went on your factory shaft, slip boot, CV boot Or shaft itself ?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #7 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Then I would absolutely give that TF part a try if I were you. I have the same suspension and my OEM shafts are holding up so far, too, but I'm only at 30,000 miles. I'll try the TF kit when the time comes.
I was thinking the exact opposite. If the original lasted you over 100K miles, then why not replace the shaft for $375 and be done with it?

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #8 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 08:04 AM
Rock God

find a low mileage take off for $100 or so and go another 100K.
post #9 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
What went on your factory shaft, slip boot, CV boot Or shaft itself ?
CV boot at the transfer case
post #10 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
I was thinking the exact opposite. If the original lasted you over 100K miles, then why not replace the shaft for $375 and be done with it?
I hear ya but here is the deal,

1. Because it lasted so long, realistically I wont have this jeep another 100,000 miles.
2. Its much more cost effective to rebuild the joint if they are lasting that long.
3. According to Teraflex their joint will last even longer.
post #11 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Any one have any experience with this kit?
AFAIK, it was just released for sale last week, so I'm guessing not many folks have it yet.

Mine arrived Saturday. Hope to get it installed after work sometime this week.

For those that haven't seen it, TF increased the angle of the housing cap by a fair amount so the boot shouldn't get sandwiched against it at full droop.
Attached Images

post #12 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

This is awesome. I have 2 spare rear shafts. Depending on the difficulty level, i might just rebuild one.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #13 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
This is awesome. I have 2 spare rear shafts. Depending on the difficulty level, i might just rebuild one.
If you haven't seen it already, they have a YouTube video showing step-by-step:
https://youtu.be/AXc9285oTls
post #14 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
AFAIK, it was just released for sale last week, so I'm guessing not many folks have it yet.

Mine arrived Saturday. Hope to get it installed after work sometime this week.

For those that haven't seen it, TF increased the angle of the housing cap by a fair amount so the boot shouldn't get sandwiched against it at full droop.
Aristobrat, thanks for the info. Give us an update after your install with a bit of driving on it. Let me know how it goes, I'll be right behind you ordering this week!
post #15 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Nice find. Hopefully they will put these on some stronger, smaller diameter shafts.

Ok, so I like to HiJack threads.

Anyone willing to sell me one of your old end plates? I put 2 holes in one of mine while removing it when I installed a DC shaft, but I want to put the stock shafts back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #16 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Granite Guru

That sorts out the CV joint. Now has anyone rebuilt the uni joint at the diff end?

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #17 of 82 Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Nice find. Hopefully they will put these on some stronger, smaller diameter shafts.
That's my plan. I snagged one of AEV's during a brief window they sold them seperately. Maybe TF or someone else will make one similar.

post #18 of 82 Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Lucky you ^ why did they stop making them?

post #19 of 82 Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!

TF just said they will be releasing a DS with this joint soon.

post #20 of 82 Old 08-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Lucky you ^ why did they stop making them?
Never heard anything official.

My guess is that they originally only intended to make these shafts for use with their in-house builds of '07-'11 JKs with automatic transmissions, and stopped making them when most of the JKs they started building were '12+.

Quote:
Interesting!
post #21 of 82 Old 08-19-2015, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!

^^ X2 "next few months"

post #22 of 82 Old 08-19-2015, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Bought one ... Thanks.

post #23 of 82 Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
If they can put a CV at both ends of a front shaft, that would be huge.

Would completely get rid of u-joint vibes when lifted with low pinion/high caster angles.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #24 of 82 Old 08-20-2015, 11:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Hmm ^^

post #25 of 82 Old 08-24-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just ordered mine. Installing this weekend and hitting the trail hopefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode