Tight Steering with Dynatrac ProSteers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tight Steering with Dynatrac ProSteers

I just replaced some Synergy ball joints with a knurled version of Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints. I was shocked how tight the steering was once getting the knuckle re-installed. That surprises me since everything I've seen about the Dynatracs say there is no break-in period. The jeep definitely does not return back to center after a turn. Now, I've only done a 10 mile test drive after installation last night, so hopefully it improves, but throwing this post out to gauge others' experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 08:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Theres a process to torquing the castle nuts i believe?
Disco your TR, DL and see if each knuckle rotates freely .

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Theres a process to torquing the castle nuts i believe?
Disco your TR, DL and see if each knuckle rotates freely .
when i installed, i had drag link and tie rod uninstalled already. slid knuckle on, tightened upper castle nut to 30 ft lbs, then lower to 70 ft lbs, and then the upper to 70 ft lbs as stated in the instructions. at that point just attempting to turn the knuckle with two hands was difficult (with no TR or DL attached). in fact, it was even hard to turn before those castle nuts were torqued down. out of the box, the studs on the lower ball joints would spin as one would expect, but once they were pressed in to the C, i could not spin them by hand. i suspect that the pressure of pushing them in compressed everything just a bit and made it extremely tight. i've just not really seen any others that had this issue after installing dynatracs. i have an email in to them but obviously the weekend so dont expect a response. will follow up with a call on monday. so tired of messing with ball joints, was really hoping this would be the last time i had to do so in a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Yea thats not good. Something is up there.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #5 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i didn't expect to hear something today since it's a saturday, but dynatrac has responded with this:

"There is a break in period of between 500-1000 miles for these ball joints depending on the type of driving. They will be pretty stiff for a little while. If you are still having issues after this break in period please call us and we will work with you to figure this out.
We want you to be happy with our products and will stand behind those ball joints no matter what."

i dont think i've ever seen anyone comment about break-in period before for dynatracs. synergy, yes....alloy, yes, but have not seen anyone say such thing about dynatrac. well, i guess i'll give it a couple of weeks and see if there's an improvement. i'm pretty confident there will be, but i just didn't expect to see that. i'm also pretty confident that if there is not, dynatrac will stand behind their product. still curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this with dynatracs.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 AM
JKO Addict!

My synergy joints needed a break in. both knuckles moved easily though.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

So the part that impresses me...

"We want you to be happy with our products and will stand behind those ball joints no matter what."
post #8 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 09:29 PM
JKowners Vendor

I installed the knurled version of the dynatrac prosteers replacing my synergy ones and did not have tight steering. I followed their directions as they had them. Here is what mine look like below. You should have a gap between the knuckle and the ball joint. See if you have that gap if not maybe it's binding.
Attached Images

post #9 of 11 Old 08-15-2015, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the pro steers. Just the regular version if that is different. No issues. In fact, I killed two sets of synergys in very few miles. I think it was death wobble that actually killed them instantly. the dynatracs went in without issue and the instructions were good.

One thing that I did with the prosteers is pitch them in the freezer for about 30 minutes prior to install. that and I warmed the C's with a heat gun a little. I also used anti-seize as directed and they went in like butter. spend the $10 and get their special tool. It's just a shim and a piece of pipe but it is well made ad you probably spend $10 of time trying to make your own.

They were tight but not super tight at first but felt fine after several hundred miles.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-16-2015, 02:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
...i dont think i've ever seen anyone comment about break-in period before for dynatracs. synergy, yes....alloy, yes, but have not seen anyone say such thing about dynatrac. well, i guess i'll give it a couple of weeks and see if there's an improvement. i'm pretty confident there will be, but i just didn't expect to see that. i'm also pretty confident that if there is not, dynatrac will stand behind their product. still curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this with dynatracs.
It does not sound like anything is wrong at all. The BJs are stiff and should be. Just enjoy your jeep driving like a Ferrari as long as it lasts. I have been running the prosteers since they came out, 6 years ago I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by toymaster; 08-16-2015 at 03:20 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-16-2015, 11:26 AM
TJT
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
I just replaced some Synergy ball joints with a knurled version of Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints. I was shocked how tight the steering was once getting the knuckle re-installed. That surprises me since everything I've seen about the Dynatracs say there is no break-in period. The jeep definitely does not return back to center after a turn. Now, I've only done a 10 mile test drive after installation last night, so hopefully it improves, but throwing this post out to gauge others' experiences.
So tight it doesn't turn back to center?

That sounds really tight. I've had new Pro Steer Ball joints twice. Once on my OEM Rubicon Axle and again when I upgraded to a Pro Rock 44. They were tight initially, but never what you've explained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode