Has anyone mucked with Wideband o2 and custom tuning? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-06-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Has anyone mucked with Wideband o2 and custom tuning?

Hey folks...

I have a Diablosport Trinity and want to go with a custom tune. For my NA Pentastar, getting a custom tune can supposedly nearly double what the Diablosport canned tunes provide. That and a blower is in my future - just not sure when. A custom tune here should yield great results here as well because the blower companies that I am talking to are putting out more conservative tunes.

The trinity supports a two channels of analog input and I want to rig in a wideband o2 sensor for data logging and working the online email tune guys who run the Diablosport CMR or more likely the less expensive HPTuners.

I am thinking to rig one of the following two devices in to provide the wide band signal. I'll have the bung welded on and the sensor placed in the front pipe that slips over the end of he y-pipe collector.

This digital wideband controller is useful for just getting the signal out. Not sure if there is a less expensive option than this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFTAJPC

The other option is to put a wideband gauge in. I don't think I need this but it would go good with a matching boost gauge in the a pillar. Most gauges have a signal output that can be tied into the trinity via the 3.5mm stereo plug.

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-367...dp/B003JZOZLI/

Has anyone else rigged up wide band? any guidance to share?

Has anyone attempted to create their own tune with the likes of HPTuners Pro (@$650+~$100 per car after the included credits are used)? I'm an ex-tech and a software guy now but not sure I can make it past the learning curve of figuring how to tune my car with a laptop.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 08-06-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-06-2015, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

I have a stand alone wide band set up.

If you are really looking to dial things in, then get a good wideband and not just the cheapest out there. I went with PLX and hear Innovate is pretty good as well. Go with a digital wideband gauge.

Im curious to see how much HP Tuners has unlocked because they just entered the JK world but have an awesome reputation in the GM realm.

I hate Diablosport but am currently stuck with them because of my supercharger. Dont want to experiment with SCT or HPTuners because they are relatively new in the JK tuning business.

I would look for a reputable local tuner with a dyno. Much better and an e tune in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-06-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I have a stand alone wide band set up.

If you are really looking to dial things in, then get a good wideband and not just the cheapest out there. I went with PLX and hear Innovate is pretty good as well. Go with a digital wideband gauge.
LOL... the "cheapest on" I cited above *is* an Innovate. It's just the no frills model and not exactly cheap.

Personally, I feel that I would be too distracted by flashy LEDs in a digital setup. I am not sure I even need a gauge at all for this.

Quote:
Im curious to see how much HP Tuners has unlocked because they just entered the JK world but have an awesome reputation in the GM realm.

I hate Diablosport but am currently stuck with them because of my supercharger. Dont want to experiment with SCT or HPTuners because they are relatively new in the JK tuning business.
Well, Will from overkill/pentastartune.com whom I cited in a different thread must be on the cutting edge then. He is using HPTuners on his end and resells the software as well as Diablosport products. He seems to have a handle on what he is doing.

None of the training material I came across on HPTuners or The Tuning School addressed Chrysler. Just GM and a little Ford. Will seems to be the most dedicated to it. Maybe it is because he is a Pentastar nerd.

Quote:
I would look for a reputable local tuner with a dyno. Much better and an e tune in my opinion.
At $100 for the tune (including the back and forth emailing of logs and retunes) seems like a low risk. He claims to already have a decent pentastar tune to start with and knows FI. And yes, agree that a local (read: on the dyno, not via email) tuner would be the best. I think the email tuner guys only claim to come close to a full on dyno tune at a fraction of the price. If you log and submit wide band data too, then they can get a degree closer.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 08-06-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-07-2015, 03:50 AM
Wheeler

I went with the AEM Uego inline which is like the innovate.

I actually wired power for it to a cigarette lighter plug so I can use it in multiple vehicles. For tuning for my blown 3.8 I am using Johan Mangs who until recently was with Diablosport but I think has now gone completely on his own.

https://www.facebook.com/diablotoona

http://www.diablotoona.com/

[email protected]

I highly recommend him. Quick, communicative and effective.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-07-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajk View Post
I went with the AEM Uego inline which is like the innovate.

I actually wired power for it to a cigarette lighter plug so I can use it in multiple vehicles. For tuning for my blown 3.8 I am using Johan Mangs who until recently was with Diablosport but I think has now gone completely on his own.

https://www.facebook.com/diablotoona

http://www.diablotoona.com/

[email protected]

I highly recommend him. Quick, communicative and effective.
Cool. Thanks. Have already had an email exchange with him.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

So the wideband o2 controller kit, I linked above (Innovative LC-2) arrived bullet fast and got here today. Looks like a well made device and includes everything pictured.

I should have it all rigged up between the exhaust system and the Diablosport Trinity by the end of the week so that I can start logging AF ratio.

I found another online email tuner guy who seemed to have more of a reputation out there with the challenger/charger guys and the GM guys. This guy's name is "diablotonna" - google it if interested. He works on donations and he can give you the scoop.

The first tune that he sent me (prior to me logging and send him any data) already feels peppier than the canned Diablosport 91 octane tune that I have been using for the past year. Even the Diablosport tune was a noticeable improvement over the factory tune. I need more time with it, though and we still need to go through the tune->log->tune->log process until it is done.

I am still NA so I am just going through the motions really. I will go through this again once I go FI.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 AM
Wheeler

I am sure you be happy with diablotoona. He is very good and a nice guy. He keeps trying until you are happy.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

So I have wideband 02 all setup and collecting data with the trinity for diablotoona. I posted a couple of pics in my build thread if anyone is interested.

He was asking me to use a canned gauge layout called "tuner" in the trinity but that did not exist so I just made a new gauge layout to collect a bunch of PIDs that he had listed in his guide.

Something interesting that I discovered is that you can create a boost gauge in the trinity as well. This will be useful to me when I go FI. It measures the stock MAP sensor and I suppose uses just the upper half of the operating range (+2.5vdc to +5vdc) and displays it as a pressure. It is listed under the synthesized PIDs when you select what to monitor for your gauge.

anyway, diablotoona's guide has you log data in several scenarios. None of them include rock time but I will log some rock time on a hot day and give him that feedback when I get to that point.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-29-2015, 01:06 PM

PM sent. Where did you install the wideband bung?
post #10 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 AM
JKowners Vendor

I realize that this thread is old and I'm a new vendor here but we do offer a Trinity/Innovate LC2 wideband package deal - both for $680.
I also offer remote (email or dyno) and local dyno tuning on our 4wd Mustang dyno.

I can't post links at this time (new user) but google OSTDYNO, go to our website and be sure to check out the testimonials section since I am a noob here
post #11 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostmike View Post
I realize that this thread is old and I'm a new vendor here but we do offer a Trinity/Innovate LC2 wideband package deal - both for $680.
I also offer remote (email or dyno) and local dyno tuning on our 4wd Mustang dyno.

I can't post links at this time (new user) but google OSTDYNO, go to our website and be sure to check out the testimonials section since I am a noob here
A nicer "package deal" might include the digi-key 2.55mm angle adapter.

Here is a pic of the Trinity with the DigiKey adapter and the Rugged Ridge upper dash mount. The LC-2 is behind the glove box inside the dash.

edit:
DigiKey part number is CA-2204:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...3697?k=CA-2204

Last edited by White13JKUR; 08-01-2016 at 04:29 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 06:39 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
A nicer "package deal" might include the digi-key 2.55mm angle adapter.

Here is a pic of the Trinity with the DigiKey adapter and the Rugged Ridge upper dash mount. The LC-2 is behind the glove box inside the dash.

edit:
DigiKey part number is CA-2204:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...3697?k=CA-2204

Unfortunately the supplier I use for the Trinity and LC2 does not carry the Digikey jack otherwise I would absolutely include it!
post #13 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Sure. I can see how purchasing them in bulk and directly from Digikey would be a bad idea.

My supplier for the other two devices was prime.

edit:
So what software do you use for tuning? HP Tuners or Diablosport CMR?

Can you work with tuners other than the Trinity?

Last edited by White13JKUR; 01-25-2016 at 09:10 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-29-2016, 10:32 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Sure. I can see how purchasing them in bulk and directly from Digikey would be a bad idea.

My supplier for the other two devices was prime.

edit:
So what software do you use for tuning? HP Tuners or Diablosport CMR?

Can you work with tuners other than the Trinity?
I tune the Pentastars primarily with CMR or HPTuners.

Were you thinking of something different than those two? If so, please let me know and I can look into it. Right now I'm not aware of any other alternatives besides possibly SCT.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-08-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Looks like the guy that welded the bung left small pinhole leak. I read that even something this small can throw the accuracy off and make for readings that are leaner than they really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostmike View Post
I tune the Pentastars primarily with CMR or HPTuners.

Were you thinking of something different than those two? If so, please let me know and I can look into it. Right now I'm not aware of any other alternatives besides possibly SCT.
Oh, no. Not at all. those are the two packages that I have read about. I have thought about buying my own but the Diablo licensing model is really aimed at a shop versus the home garage dude like me with one or maybe two cars.

Does Diablosport CMR have an edge on the Chrysler stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode