College kid need help jku engine swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-04-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

College kid need help jku engine swap

So I have a 2009 jku automatic. And the transmission was going bad and worse came to worse and I blew a rod and now have a hole through my block. Having to replace the transmission too I really just want to get a bigger engine all together I've done lots of research and seems like a good option would be a Chevy 350. Only problem I'm seeing is I'm not finding a exact kit for it and the other problem seems to be getting the computer to work with it. If anybody has any info or suggestions. I can space this build out. But the most I'll have for now is 5000 to 6000 which I figured could get me started. If the 350 will work my buddy has a complete one he'd sell me for 500 dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Wheeler

Youre going to want something more modern like an ls. Or maybe a hemi
post #3 of 27 Old 08-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

College kid to college kid; go with a modern LS. Better support

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Granite Guru

If you're really on a budget, get a 3.8 long block from O'riellys

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Rock God

Or buy mine that will be coming out whenever I get my swap kit.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
If you're really on a budget, get a 3.8 long block from O'riellys

This, or get a scrapyard 3.8l & trans.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Six grand burning a hole...

You are one very fortunate kid.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 27 Old 08-06-2015, 04:47 AM
Rock God

how did you manage to throw a rod? beating the shit out of it?

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #9 of 27 Old 08-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Granite Guru

no way you can do an LS swap for 6k. Id grab a 3.8 package from someone that did an LS or Hemi swap until you can get the 10k to do an LS later.

2007 JKU AKA CHEEP HEEP. 2.5 rk tripple rates, bilstein long travels, Currie arms,antirock, 35 mtr's, artec truss, redneck ram, ruff stuff tie rod, poly drag link, ten factory front/rear shafts, aussie locker, savvy front bumper, bfh rear
post #10 of 27 Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon_35 View Post
no way you can do an LS swap for 6k. Id grab a 3.8 package from someone that did an LS or Hemi swap until you can get the 10k to do an LS later.

Agree with this plan, but 10 grand for an LS swap is lite.

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Where are you located. I will sell you my 3.8 and transmission.
post #12 of 27 Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC7 View Post
Agree with this plan, but 10 grand for an LS swap is lite.
The kit will eat up about half of that budget. If you search hard, you probably could find a higher mileage 5.3 and do all the labor yourself to sneak in around that mark but it will be tight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

I researched alot as I was in a similar situation with a blown 3.8. If i sourced all my own parts I could do it for 10k no problem, Possibly even a little cheaper. I ended up buying a low mileage 3.8 for $1000 and swapping it as I didnt want the jeep down for 6 months.

2007 JKU AKA CHEEP HEEP. 2.5 rk tripple rates, bilstein long travels, Currie arms,antirock, 35 mtr's, artec truss, redneck ram, ruff stuff tie rod, poly drag link, ten factory front/rear shafts, aussie locker, savvy front bumper, bfh rear
post #14 of 27 Old 08-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

I swapped in a modern hemi for 10k, but i did every bit of work and it took months. Do you have a shop? Can you be without a vehicle for months? Can you weld? Can you pin electrical connectors? If the answer is no to any of this you need to dump in a cheap 3.8 and Tranny. It is possible to swap? Yes. I did it but I e been wrenching on jeeps for oVer 25 years and I have done many engine swaps.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to RedrockHemi

I've got an auto Trans forsale and I'm willing to ship it. I'd let it go cheap

08 Red Rock Rubicon Unlimited, 5.7 Hemi, 4.88's, 3.5 in Nth Deg short arm, 35in KM2's, AEV Pintler Beadlocks, Teraflex diff covers, Ruff Stuff Custom tie rod, AEV corner guards painted to match, painted flares, painted hardtop, leather seats, AEV front bumper painted to match, Warn 9000 XDi, Mopar Rear w/swingaway painted to match, HID's, TMD cowl Induction hood, Nemisis Billy Rockers, Warn Dual modes up front, PIAA's on the windshield
post #16 of 27 Old 08-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Granite Guru

He didn't say he only had 5000-6000 all said and done. He said "all I'll have for now is 5000 to 6000 which I figured could get me started"

I say take time to research the swap and shop around the best you can to find what you need at a reasonable price. My buddy at work is starting to have problems with his 3.8 and he doesn't wheel it or anything. I don't think I would want to replace the shit engine with the same shit engine, IF you're planning on having the Jeep for a while.

Good Luck.

oh and like others have said, big no to the old school small block. They're good for a wide range of vehicles, excluding the JK

Last edited by The_Punisher; 08-07-2015 at 11:06 AM.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Wheeler

The Hemi swap is the easiest swap I've ever done. Finished mine in a weekend. Now getting all the parts delivered was quite a bit longer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #18 of 27 Old 08-10-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

update.

Sorry my notifications were turned off

I know quite a bit of wrench work. This weekend i got all of my engine disconnected and I got the body off of my jeep. Now engine is trans is just waiting to be taken out, probably this weekend.

Im still looking at the kits for the ls swap. I've found 3 different places.

1. motech

$5195
2010 and newer engine with 6l80e trans.

Seems like the best kit and support but kit is 2000 more then jeep speed shop and i have to get a 2010 engine with a 6l80 trans which is way more expensive then a older engine with a 4l80e trans.

uses most of the original jeep engine accessories. like. water pump, alternator so on

Also comes with some sort of pdf install guide which I'm sure would help some.

2.jeepspeedshop

$2995
2002 to 2006 engine with 4l80 (a lot cheaper)
or 2007 to 2015

only the kit does not seem to come with nearly as much. Even though this kit would be a lot better option.

uses complete chevy engine

3.rpmextreme

Price N/A

2002- 2006 engine with 4l80

This isn't so much a kit but they have most of the individual parts seems like.

I would really like to go with the jeep speed shop kit and buy the kit for 3000 and i can find a engine and trans for around 2000. but I don't want to buy the kit and have to buy a ton of individual items and be lost.

Basically if i have the part its very easy for me to figure out where it goes and install it. but if i don't have the part it would take me a while to figure out what i need and missing.

Any more info or help would be awesome.
post #19 of 27 Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

as far as blowing a rod. My jeep has been running bad for a while. I bought it from a used dodge dealership only had about 70000 miles on it. about a month later i went to change the engine oil and checked the trans oil as well. turns out it was not the right color at all. So i changed the trans oil completely along with the filter. every thing was good about a month later i check it and its almost black. The next day i was going to take it to get flushed and looked at. I go to start it and every time i put it in gear it died. checked the torque converter, it was bad got it all swapped out and ran good for another 2 or 3 months. One day i get a check engine light and its for the torque converter. about a week later every time i would start my jeep it would pop out of gear about 2 to 3 times and then be perfectly fine the rest of the trip, unless i turned my jeep off. having no choice but to continue to drive it i did while i raised money for a new tran. It only got worse and it would pop out 2 to 3 times still and not shift into last gear. (i have changed the trans oil about 5 times at this point) i started staying in town with my friends so i would only have to drive a mile to work. did this for about 3 more months. i finally had enough money to get a new trans. So I left town one day after work going back to my house so me and my dad could go look at transmission and a rebuild place. Of course my luck it blew. so now my jeeps been at my house for about 4 months and i have raised little more then 6000 dollars and now trying to do the swap. If i end up needing a lot more money my dad will help me take out a loan if i am not approved on my own. of course I'm paying for the loan.

Thanks to everyone who's taking the time to read this and try and help me out!
post #20 of 27 Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Rock God

I ran into a guy in Simi Valley, CA that had a JKU that had just completed the swap, literally. They were at a gas station trying to tweak the tune. But he did have the setup that you speak of. He told me it was a 2002 5.3 LS from an Avalanche. I believe the transmission was from the same vehicle but I do know that the tranny he used was a 4L80. It sounded great and I have to admit I was a bit jealous. At one point I did ask how much he had in the swap but Dom or recall. Now that I think about it I remember he paid a grand for the motor. I do not know any contact info on the dude but he did have a JKF sticker on the side. May want to try an reach out to some folks in that are? It was an all white JKU with RJ 60's. GenRight is in the area, they may know of the guy. Best of luck to you. I am gathering the fixin's for a Hemi swap and plan to come in under $10k. If you decide you want to settle for another 3.8 with tranny shoot me a message. But honestly if you have Daddy Dukes offering support its a no brainier.

EDIT: he did have a 4L60 Transmission

Last edited by da20captain; 08-12-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: EDIT: Typed wrong the guy had a 4L60 Transmissiom
post #21 of 27 Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 PM
JKowners Vendor

The 4L80E is a very large transmission. We recommend the 4L60E for the early GEN 3 engines. The fitment is a lot easier and it gives you more room to work with and better driveshaft options.

Once we find time to make up some instructions we will be releasing a "full" kit. Basically right now we are just offering some of the parts separately but have everything done and have done several full builds with the kit in house.

I don't see why you couldn't get a bare bones kit, 5.3 and 4l60e for less than $6k. The money starts adding up when you have to buy all the accessories for the engine, cats, o2, exhaust, TAC module, APP, ALT, AC, PS etc..... then you realize the GM truck accessory drive won't quite clear the power steering gearbox or some other fitment issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #22 of 27 Old 08-12-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

how much are you wanting for your 3.8 and trans
post #23 of 27 Old 08-12-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrockHemi View Post
I've got an auto Trans forsale and I'm willing to ship it. I'd let it go cheap
how much are you wanting for it.
post #24 of 27 Old 08-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

Years ago when people first started doing these swaps, there was a lot of talk about having to get an engine that is the same year or newer than the vehicle. Is that no longer an issue? Or does it just depend on the laws in the specific area you live?
post #25 of 27 Old 08-12-2015, 08:17 PM
Rock God

To my understanding it is geographically specific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode