looking to change up coils and shocks - need advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

looking to change up coils and shocks - need advice

hi gang...

looking to change up my lift from AEV 3.5" coils and the matching 5100's to something different. I tried the AEV 4.5" coils and I found them pretty harsh and truck like on my lighter (no heavy bumpers) jeep.

on the road, the lift is fine and leaves nothing to be desired. I ditched the drop down brackets and put a full set of metal cloak arms on there last year. I have the 3" bump stop blocks and plan to leave those on. I have also done the synergy shock top relocation brackets and the evo rock stars.

issue is off road in that the suspension still feels a bit stiff and I cannot seem to crawl as fast as some of the other jeeps on the trail. it seems to be a bit too jarring. this is thing that I am trying to resolve.

the other would be to try and get a little more travel so thinking to go from the 3.5" lift range to the 4-4.5" range with no change in bump stop blocks.

not sure what to do on shocks. I am thinking a couple of things.... OME (read: not gas charged) or maybe something like fox or king (not coil overs).

I am also wondering if something like a set of teraflex bump stops or king bump stops will add anything here.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Rock God

Look into Metalcloaks dual rates, Evos Plush Ride coils, Synergy, and Currie.

Last edited by -SLADE-; 07-31-2015 at 08:57 PM.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

thanks. I've looked into those two a little. love the MC CAs but not so sold on their coils or shocks.

I may just try a set of EVOs or another linear spring on the front first. One thought I keep having is to leave the AEV progressive coils in the back and put the linears in the front. As I understand it, the stock setup is like this linear front and progressive rear.

I think synergy is progressive so don't expect to gain much by going from aev to synergy. dunno about currie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 09:14 PM
Rock God

Synergy's 4.5" coils are linear, not progressive.

Im very happy with the Metalcloak coils on my 2 door and Synergy 2" coils on the 4 door. But if I were lifting the 4 door in the 4" range, I would probably try the EVO Plush ride coils or Curries coils.
post #5 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Wheeler

how about the Teraflex linear coils? anyone tried those?

Last edited by raf2379; 07-31-2015 at 09:28 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 09:52 PM

Synergy 4.5" fronts and 3" rears coils. I love the fox IFP shocks. I can give you part numbers on either standard or resi shocks.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Wheeler

ARB (sold as Old Man Emu) Makes a 4 inch coil and shock. I have their 2 inch kit. Ive only got the shocks on so I cant comment on the springs until hopefully after this weekend but their shocks are nice and OME is always known for a good ride. The use a lot of Valving discs in the shocks to help it work well on rough roads. They are also Linear coils like your looking for and OME supposedly tunes their coils and shocks to work together.

at least it will give you another option.

2010 Surf Blue 2 door Islander
Front and rear ARB bumpers

Last edited by Fahrvegnugen; 07-31-2015 at 10:34 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
Synergy's 4.5" coils are linear, not progressive.
my bad. are "polys" different or is that synergy? I thought that the poly performance ones are progressive. maybe I am confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason mac View Post
Synergy 4.5" fronts and 3" rears coils. I love the fox IFP shocks. I can give you part numbers on either standard or resi shocks.
I like your setup. Wanted to see it on the trail. I thought those springs looked linear but was confused thinking that synergy was progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvegnugen View Post
ARB (sold as Old Man Emu) Makes a 4 inch coil and shock. I have their 2 inch kit. Ive only got the shocks on so I cant comment on the springs until hopefully after this weekend but their shocks are nice and OME is always known for a good ride. The use a lot of Valving discs in the shocks to help it work well on rough roads. They are also Linear coils like your looking for and OME supposedly tunes their coils and shocks to work together.

cool. yes, as mentioned, what I like about the OMEs is the lack of a gas charge. that is why I like konis on my sports cars too.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 07-31-2015 at 11:17 PM.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 11:18 PM
Rock God

Some of Synergy's are linear and some are progressive.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-31-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason mac View Post
are the 3" rear coils progressive or linear?

I don't remember and your driveway is slanted anyway - does yours have a rake or is it level with this setup?

Last edited by White13JKUR; 08-01-2015 at 12:28 AM.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-01-2015, 01:50 AM
Rock God

post #12 of 29 Old 08-01-2015, 02:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvegnugen View Post

I have a set of OME front shocks in my garage you can try for free. They rattled to much for my liking. They're for a 3-4" lift

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
post #13 of 29 Old 08-01-2015, 06:55 AM
JKO Addict!

i can only comment on TF's, EVO's and the RK triple rates. imo the RK coils ride the best. the EVO's are not as plush as people say. id compare them more to Teraflex with both being a linear coil. obviously ride is subjective and relative to other mods, weight and the shocks you run. without changing any other mod Evo vs RK I like the new triple rates.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #14 of 29 Old 08-01-2015, 07:02 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Synergy is a manufacture', Poly Performance is a retailer. They are owned by the same person and everyone uses both names for stuff that is made by Synergy. Poly sells more than just Synergy stuff. Synergy doesn't sell anything, they make it to be sold through retailers.

As for springs. I have Synergy springs on my 2 door. I bought them before Poly specified that some were linear and not all progressive on their web site. The fronts ride and handle better than the rears. It turns out the rears are linear and fronts Progressive.

With 4.5 inch springs and a light JKU you are going to need to address rear spring perch rotation to prevent spring bow. Drive shafts and front caster/drive shaft angle balance. Without adding caster to the axle(cut & turn or aftermarket axle) you are going to be dealing with worse handling. With that much lift my ESC was always pissed off too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #15 of 29 Old 08-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
thanks. I've looked into those two a little. love the MC CAs but not so sold on their coils or shocks.
Just curious - why don't you like their coils? The shocks....are too expensive, although a great concept, but i've never heard anything bad about the coils (i have them, but haven't owned anything else so I can't compare)
post #16 of 29 Old 08-01-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Sounds like Jason’s might be setup like stock with linear up front and progressive in the back if I read the charts correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
i can only comment on TF's, EVO's and the RK triple rates. imo the RK coils ride the best. the EVO's are not as plush as people say. id compare them more to Teraflex with both being a linear coil. obviously ride is subjective and relative to other mods, weight and the shocks you run. without changing any other mod Evo vs RK I like the new triple rates.
Probably I will experiment by changing out the shocks before the springs and also with some front hydraulic bump stops. On the road, handling is fine and with the aev progressives front and rear, it does handle on the street more like a decent euro sedan than a mushy Cadillac tuna boat or even a harsh truck for that matter. I have no trouble slinging the jeep through a corner and coming out hard on the throttle.

It is off road driving that I want to try and smooth out a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
As for springs. I have Synergy springs on my 2 door. I bought them before Poly specified that some were linear and not all progressive on their web site. The fronts ride and handle better than the rears. It turns out the rears are linear and fronts Progressive.

With 4.5 inch springs and a light JKU you are going to need to address rear spring perch rotation to prevent spring bow. Drive shafts and front caster/drive shaft angle balance. Without adding caster to the axle(cut & turn or aftermarket axle) you are going to be dealing with worse handling. With that much lift my ESC was always pissed off too.
Interesting observations on the progressive/linear. I would think that given a hybrid approach that the linear springs would be better placed in the rear of the jeep because that is where you pile on the load. My BMW was the Dinan test pig (upgrades were developed on my car and I got the sh*t for free) back when it was new and Steve Dinan specified linear coils in the rear with progressive in the front. Factory is progressive all the way around. Anyway, I later swapped out the dinan junk for Eibach which is a lot better and progressive all the way around. I kept the dinan-revalved konis on.

So after the shocks, I may try linears in the front, leaving the aevs in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjk View Post
Just curious - why don't you like their coils? The shocks....are too expensive, although a great concept, but i've never heard anything bad about the coils (i have them, but haven't owned anything else so I can't compare)
I think MC makes high quality stuff and think the coils are probably well made etc. I just have not bought into their design where the top coils are always compressed (I guess, except for full droop). I will end up with progressive (or triple rate) or just plain ol linear.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 08-01-2015 at 06:54 PM.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:

I think MC makes high quality stuff and think the coils are probably well made etc. I just have not bought into their design where the top coils are always compressed (I guess, except for full droop). I will end up with progressive (or triple rate) or just plain ol linear.

Progressive (or Triple Rate) coils have a section of coils that are always compressed except for full droop.

Here are a couple links that may help.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81927

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...k+build&page=8
post #18 of 29 Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I actually want to pay MC a visit and get on their trailer. maybe I'll let them sell me on the idea of their springs.

The aevs don't exactly suck and I think a shock change might do the trick. that and hydraulic bump stops.

I don't think that I am unseating - close, though. the fronts are clamped and haven't had an issue with the rear.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-07-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

thanks everyone!

just closing the loop here.....

I went with 4" Evo plush coils front and rear, paired with OME LT shocks. Came kinda' close to throwing down the extra coin for the Evo-tuned King 2.5 setup.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
thanks everyone!

just closing the loop here.....

I went with 4" Evo plush coils front and rear, paired with OME LT shocks. Came kinda' close to throwing down the extra coin for the Evo-tuned King 2.5 setup.
So this is the exact option I'm considering. How much does your JKU weigh? What actual lift height did you get? I'm also curious to know if your rear coils stay seated when at full droop and using all of the shock.

Last edited by jedgington; 08-08-2015 at 05:07 AM.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-08-2015, 05:57 AM
Wheeler

I currently run the Teraflex coils, with their prerunner speedbumps, and Elka shocks. Performs amazing off road as well as on. I have been running this setup for about 4 years...with a ton of wheeling time.
post #22 of 29 Old 08-08-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedgington View Post
So this is the exact option I'm considering. How much does your JKU weigh? What actual lift height did you get? I'm also curious to know if your rear coils stay seated when at full droop and using all of the shock.
I will let you know since I merely ordered them this week. I'll do a spring and shock slap next week once brown santa arrives. I will also be installing my new rear synergy track bar with the dual durometer bushing.

My expectation is that I go from BMW-like manners on and off road to more like a Cadillac on and off road (where the Cadillac soaks up the bumps better and is actually faster off road).
post #23 of 29 Old 08-09-2015, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

For what you want performance wise, you really should be looking into a dual rate coil over with air bumps and run a really light primary coil that will allow you to compress easily for crawling keeping you more level. Compression adjusters will help you as well allowing you to be soft off road and stiffen up the ride for your higher speed handling.

For a conventional route I would look for the longest coils you can find that give the least amount of lift as they will have a lower spring rate and softer ride and adjustable compression on the shocks would be a must.

Not sure why you would be running so much bump stop either. Unless I am mistaken you are running 35" tires right?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

hey dirtman... thanks for chiming in. I dig your rig and have read a lot of your archive posts here and on other forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
For what you want performance wise, you really should be looking into a dual rate coil over with air bumps and run a really light primary coil that will allow you to compress easily for crawling keeping you more level. Compression adjusters will help you as well allowing you to be soft off road and stiffen up the ride for your higher speed handling.
yeah, that's golden advice. I'm not ready to plunk down for a proper coil over setup and am not sure that I want to go with anything bolt-on. Perhaps I even saw a post where you recommended skipping the bolt on coil overs in favor of a proper weld on setup. I may never go coil overs anyway, because I think that I will have more fun blowing the money on a blower than throwing down for the double through down.

Quote:
For a conventional route I would look for the longest coils you can find that give the least amount of lift as they will have a lower spring rate and softer ride and adjustable compression on the shocks would be a must.

Not sure why you would be running so much bump stop either. Unless I am mistaken you are running 35" tires right?
I almost went metalcloak, which seems a little closer to what you describe than the evo plushes I ended up ordering. If I understand the MC design then they do exactly that. the extra coils are there and come into play for the additional droop. it doesn't sounds like they do much else.

i'll stick with the omes for now, skipping the rancho 9000 with the exposed knob and the king adjustables because of price. might as well put that money toward coilovers or a blower.

I'm running 37" nittos with a flipped drag link and 3" bumps all around. I do hope to go thinner on the blocks but wanted to get everything else figured out first. For example, I recently installed evo rockstars on the rear axle LCA brackets and did the synergy upper shock relocation. I'll cycle the suspension once I get the omes in there to see if I can adjust the bump stop block size down.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 08-09-2015 at 01:23 PM.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Okay, so I downloaded the new Evo coils and OME LT shocks from our buddies at Northridge and they arrived as expeditiously as always. Installed them last night (along with a new synergy rear track bar) and had some driving time with it this morning.

The new setup definitely soaks up the bumps and smooths out the road compared to the AEV coils and shocks. I am much happier on road so far and have not been out the rocks yet. I expect better flexing.

I would describe the feeling of the AEV setup as more "taught" like a European sedan. Slalom times would likely be better with this setup if someone actually wanted to measure that on a jeep.

I would describe the Evo/OME-LT setup as "supple" by comparison. It feels like a modern (non-sport) sedan with a decent suspension. And I would not go so far as to say this setup feels like a 1970's era Cadillac or your father's Oldsmobile.

The best example that I have so far is when going too fast over parking lot speed bumps. The AEV setup would definitely bounce you around but this new setup I s more like a none-event "that's it? what else you got?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode