Long road trips and flat tire - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Long road trips and flat tire

What do you all do when you have large tires and stock Jack will not work and get flat tire out on the road?

RK 3.5 X-factor, Fox shocks, 18x9 XD, Nitto G2 285/75/18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Honestly... I generally make sure that any equipment or tools that I'm carrying are the correct ones for the job. Making sure that you have the right kind/ size jack before going on a road-trip is just common sense in the Jeep world.

So... after the fact... dunno. Work with what you have or rely upon someone to bail you out. Neither of which are very solid game-plans.

I would think that the stock piece of shit scissor-jack that you have, could at least be put up under your axle and opened up enough ( possibly with the addition of a block of wood) to be able to at least get it high enough to swap out the wheels.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Granite Guru

I don't carry a spare. I care a very nice plug and repair kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM
JKO Addict!

well....

First and best option in my case....
Onboard ARB twin for air up after trail runs and tire repair. That and the odd soccer ball for the kids.
The ARB tire plug kit is awesome. Get this or one of the well made knock-offs (heavy duty metal tool - not the cheap plastic junk from slime.)

If I actually had to muscle off one of these 37" (heavy) nittos on beadlocks (also heavy), I would use the axle housing as the jacking point. For this I use the stock scissor jack and the AEV plastic block that came with my lift. Anything strong that is at least as high as the difference in tire/wheel radius should work. It would be the increase in tire radius that you are working against versus the lift or tub/frame height.

edit: what is cool about the aev block is that it is lightweight and is molded to and fits in the rear tool area under the rear cargo mat.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 07-30-2015 at 01:42 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Stock jack is just fine for 35's and a 2.5 lift. That being said, my storage compartment was filled with 4 inches of rusty water and my jack is rusted to shit. So now it's hi-lift time until I replace the stocker.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Stock jack is just fine for 35's and a 2.5 lift. That being said, my storage compartment was filled with 4 inches of rusty water and my jack is rusted to shit. So now it's hi-lift time until I replace the stocker.
why not a bottle jack or something? Unless the hi-lift is in plan anyway, not sure you'll get a tire off the ground with the typical (4') hi-lift.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
why not a bottle jack or something? Unless the hi-lift is in plan anyway, not sure you'll get a tire off the ground with the typical (4') hi-lift.
Correct. I had a 2.5" lift and 37s and a 48" hi-lift under the rear bumper didn't get it. But the shocks were pretty long travel. Plus, the lack of stability for changing a tire makes it less than ideal.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post
Correct. I had a 2.5" lift and 37s and a 48" hi-lift under the rear bumper didn't get it. But the shocks were pretty long travel. Plus, the lack of stability for changing a tire makes it less than ideal.
Just strap/chain the axle to the frame before lifting and it's cake

Scissor jack with a nut welded onto it works really fast in conjunction with an impact or drill as well.
Or this - http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57363-Le.../dp/B001V8U12M

Last edited by aus-jeep; 07-30-2015 at 06:35 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Rock God

I carry a chunk of 6x6 and a bottle jack. you could have a 12" lift and it wont have any bearing on getting a tire off the ground as I lift at the tire end of the axle I am lifting. I suppose if I was running something like 44" tires I might need to rethink but 35-37's no problem. A scissor jack will also work just not as nice as a bottle jack for me.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Already own the hi-lift, I would only use at home with jack stands, no way am I trusting the hi-lift with no tire on...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #11 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Rock God

maybe a taller bottle jack can do a good job. i dont own any bottle jacks but im sure they make ones that can reach the axle and dont take up too much real estate.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1777_200641777

17.75" max lift, 25lbs. i should actually pick this up for road use..

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #12 of 24 Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
maybe a taller bottle jack can do a good job. i dont own any bottle jacks but im sure they make ones that can reach the axle and dont take up too much real estate.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1777_200641777

17.75" max lift, 25lbs. i should actually pick this up for road use..
nice jack.

looks like you would still need a block of wood for a 37" tire, which probably has a radius of ~18.5" with no weight on it.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-31-2015, 12:05 AM
Granite Guru

it's a good idea to keep all your crap in at all times. I always have my hi-lift on the hood, but I never use it since I have a bottle jack and 4 2x4 scraps....the bottle jack is a harbor freight one for like $15 and I've been using it frequently for 5 years now when I'm too lazy to get out the big floor jack in my garage.

Scissor jacks are junk, no point in buying some overpriced AEV crap to use a garbage jack. I have a couple of them that are starting to collapse sideways with only a few uses within their limits. That said, mine (unused) is still in the jeep, but that's for after my bottle jack and hi lift stop working (right...)
post #14 of 24 Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Scissor jacks are fine if you don't overload them. Agree that I would not shell out cash just for the AEV block - it is well made and does serve a purpose. Mine came with their lift kit. If it wasn't for that, I would just use a block of wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus-jeep View Post
Just strap/chain the axle to the frame before lifting and it's cake

Scissor jack with a nut welded onto it works really fast in conjunction with an impact or drill as well.
Or this - http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57363-Le.../dp/B001V8U12M
good idea on the chain. still feel safer with the scissor jack for a tire change.

naaa.... don't need to weld no nuts... just hack up an old craftsman tool. back in the 1980's my mechanic buddies and I would just modify our old sets of craftsman tools (working set was of course snappy or mac). you gotta remove the spare tire under the hood to get at anything on an old Subaru so I came up with this in short order and it works great on scissor jacks too. it even doubled as a cigarette holder - smoked ciggies way back then.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 07-31-2015 at 12:42 AM.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-31-2015, 06:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
you strap the axle to the frame when using a hi-lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Already own the hi-lift, I would only use at home with jack stands, no way am I trusting the hi-lift with no tire on...
jack with the hi-lift, pull the old tire off and put it under the axle. Put new tire on. Done and fairly safe.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TCdawg; 07-31-2015 at 06:08 AM.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-31-2015, 06:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 Unlimited Miami View Post
What do you all do when you have large tires and stock Jack will not work and get flat tire out on the road?
I carry a hi-lift....and AAA

TC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-31-2015, 02:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
nice jack.

looks like you would still need a block of wood for a 37" tire, which probably has a radius of ~18.5" with no weight on it.
but you wouldnt be lifting at the exact radius of the tire. youd be lifting from the axle which would give you an extra 2 inches or so. this is probably your best bet.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #18 of 24 Old 08-01-2015, 07:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Get the AEV jack block, leave it in the rear cubby bin. Works fine with the cheesy stock jack, even with 37s. I'm not a fan of hi lift jacks, bulky, rattly & dangerous to use. Take along a bottle hack if you don't like that stock scissor

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
hi lift jacks, bulky, rattly & dangerous to use.

As with most good / useful / fun things... Dangerous, but not unsafe. ;-)

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #20 of 24 Old 08-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Rock God

hi-lifts shouldnt be used to change a tire unless you really need to. I honestly hope i never need to use my hi-lift

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #21 of 24 Old 08-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Granite Guru

Why are so many of you guys spooked of hi-lifts

i use to chain my axle to my frame, jack up with hi-lift and disassemble my entire front end to change broken axle shafts and or birfields almost every weekend on my old toyota.

Its not a fashion show
post #22 of 24 Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I picked up a bottle jack and I will have a 6x4 block of wood. Thanks all for the suggestions!

RK 3.5 X-factor, Fox shocks, 18x9 XD, Nitto G2 285/75/18.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-03-2015, 08:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
hi-lifts shouldnt be used to change a tire unless you really need to. I honestly hope i never need to use my hi-lift
why would you use a hi lift if you didn't "really need to"?

They are also a damn nice tool if you have to break a bead on a wheel. Something as simple a fixing a torn off valve stem can be a bitch if you don't have a way to break the bead.

TC

post #24 of 24 Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
why would you use a hi lift if you didn't "really need to"?

They are also a damn nice tool if you have to break a bead on a wheel.
I'm the same way with the locker button.

If you use the scissor jack to lift the axle, that frees up the hi-lift for breaking the bead. Then again, someone else in your group might be able to just drive over the tire with their rig and less fuss.

I read about the high lift method and tried it out in the garage about the time I ordered beadlocks because I was wondering what it would be like busting a back side bead on the trail because I was contemplating the idea of carrying just the tire vs a full on rim with tire. It was a pain in the neck on a flat garage floor with the foot of the jack slipping on the tire and never getting a good enough "bite" to push the bead down off of the rim. I did not put a ton of effort into this and just gave up before self inflicting any unneeded injuries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode