Battery Relocation; Thoughts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-27-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Battery Relocation; Thoughts?

has anyone relocated their battery to the trunk/cab of the JK or in any of their other vehicles

I briefly researched other vehicles and how they did it. One forum i was reading said the best way was to also remotely mount a solenoid for the starter so that the start cable isnt always hot, and to run a smaller gauge cable just for accessories. and others say they just leave the solenoid in the engine compartment. I'm an electrician so the concept isnt hard to understand, i just want to know what the right way to do it is. no one wants an electrical fire on the trails

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Rock God

BMW has been remote mounting batteries in the trunk and under the rear seat for years. They run a full size cable from the battery to the Starter. They also put a jump spot under the hood so you can use conventional jumper cables.so I would say leave the solenoid under the hood and run a hot cable forward. just make sure to set up the cable with a fuse or circuit breaker incase you get chaffing that rubs thru the out sleeve it will trip and not burn your shit to the ground.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
BMW has been remote mounting batteries in the trunk and under the rear seat for years. They run a full size cable from the battery to the Starter. They also put a jump spot under the hood so you can use conventional jumper cables.so I would say leave the solenoid under the hood and run a hot cable forward. just make sure to set up the cable with a fuse or circuit breaker incase you get chaffing that rubs thru the out sleeve it will trip and not burn your shit to the ground.
so i would just run a new cable from the new location and grab all my existing cables at the old spot correct? i guess i can put jumper lugs on the the fire wall for that?

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Granite Guru

What's the benefit to relocating the battery?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj jk View Post
I'm curious of this too, as normally it's something you only do when you've gone to some extreme fender trimming or packed the engine bay with other crap... The JK seems to have the space for this to not be much of an issue either way. Perhaps a hemi/V8 swap with lots of body mods?
post #6 of 14 Old 07-28-2015, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj jk View Post
the Jk probably wouldnt benefit too much from it. but its usually done for weight distribution. i run no backseats in my jku so my thought was to take some weight from the front and throw it in the back. these are just ideas though.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #7 of 14 Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
the Jk probably wouldnt benefit too much from it. but its usually done for weight distribution. i run no backseats in my jku so my thought was to take some weight from the front and throw it in the back. these are just ideas though.
I don't think it's worth it when you can run a lighter AGM without issues. It doesn't take much juice to start one of these things, it's no 6BT by any means.

I could see it if you wanted to go to a dual setup for expedition/camping stuff.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-28-2015, 05:42 PM
Rock God

Most European cars that relocate the battery to a different location is purely for weight distribution. I know the 750i and 850i's had dual battery set ups with one on each side in the rear of the car. the 5 series has run a battery under the rear seat for a good while. The 3 series seemed to be the one they kept the battery under the hood for most of its existence. The 7 series ran dual batteries because of all the electronics in the thing. They shipped with 160 Amp alternators and dual batteries to keep up with the load. The system was set up start the car with the battery with the higher charge in it. the isolator would keep the things charged properly. If you have ever looked under the hood at the V12 and all the space the damn thing took up there is a clear understanding for batteries in the trunk.

When ever we set up a car for track use, it was a 3 series body so first step was to get the battery to the rear over the rear axel.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
Most European cars that relocate the battery to a different location is purely for weight distribution. I know the 750i and 850i's had dual battery set ups with one on each side in the rear of the car. the 5 series has run a battery under the rear seat for a good while. The 3 series seemed to be the one they kept the battery under the hood for most of its existence. The 7 series ran dual batteries because of all the electronics in the thing. They shipped with 160 Amp alternators and dual batteries to keep up with the load. The system was set up start the car with the battery with the higher charge in it. the isolator would keep the things charged properly. If you have ever looked under the hood at the V12 and all the space the damn thing took up there is a clear understanding for batteries in the trunk.

When ever we set up a car for track use, it was a 3 series body so first step was to get the battery to the rear over the rear axel.
My E46 coupe had the batter in the back as did the bride's E91. The older ones were up front?

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #10 of 14 Old 07-28-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

i know bmw has the batteries in the back. i figured i can that idea and apply it to the JK. i took my backseats out and strapped the spare down right behind the front seats to get weight between the axles as opposed to hanging it off the back like an anchor. bringing the wright of the battery and putting it more to the rear would help it to. i know on the JK that probably wont have much benefit but it was just an idea i tossed around

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #11 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-OR View Post
My E46 coupe had the batter in the back as did the bride's E91. The older ones were up front?
E21 and E30 had them in the front I was pretty sure the E36 did as well. Now that you mention I recall the relocation of the E46 battery with the body change. Most of the body changes for BMW occur on a 5 series then they will move similar designs to the other bodies. The E46 was just starting into the market when I stopped working at BMW. I did build an E46 Grand Am cup car, with a chassis that we had shipped in from Europe. It came with the nicest cage I have ever seen and was fully tig welded in, the thing tied all 4 strut towers together into the cage and was a very stable platform.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

how did it go from battery relocation in a jk to e30's?

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #13 of 14 Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
how did it go from battery relocation in a jk to e30's?
As near as I can tell, the common ground is right here...

So you just want to slide that body over your Jeep. And since its an E30, our good friend Tspevacek can help you relocate the battery to the truck.

It all makes perfect sense to me.

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #14 of 14 Old 07-30-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-OR View Post
As near as I can tell, the common ground is right here...

So you just want to slide that body over your Jeep. And since its an E30, our good friend Tspevacek can help you relocate the battery to the truck.

It all makes perfect sense to me.
haha no its ok. i'll take that deuce and a half though

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode