total newb!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

total newb!!

hey everyone!

need some advice as this world is completely new to me and really would appreciate some real feedback from the experts!

basically long story short, my wife is wanting to pick up a new 4 door unlimited... its basically going to be a daily driver. she loves the lifted look, bigger tires etc. also likes being up higher while driving to see better as she's been in a couple life/death accidents so feels more comfortable being higher for better view of everything. doubtful it would be used in an offroad environment... but if it was, it would be dirt roads for camping or on the beach etc... a bit of an overkill vehicle, but its what she's wanting.

done a bunch of searches on the forum and this is what i am understanding...

doing a 2.5" lift and 35s won't require anything outside of the suspension parts?

doing a 4" lift and 35's or 37's requires additional things w/ the steering and the axle?

long term daily driving is there disadvantages to either? any other questions i should be asking myself or looking into? its all a bit overwhelming for a newb to the whole gig, and was hoping to get some opinions / advice on the subject!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Rock God

total newb!!

What you said pretty much answers your own question. First thing you need to decide is what is its intended use, you said nothing hard core. So I would look into getting a new sport and having the dealer install the lift. Just for warranty issues, I've never had any issues with my local dealer but for the wife intend to play it safe.

A small budget boost and 35's will prolly do the trick. I'd try for 4:10 gears.

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Let me start off by saying if you're looking for fuel efficiency....you're not going to find it in a Jeep. Add in the 35" tires, lift, etc. and it goes down from there. Possible to gain some of it back by regearing the axles to handle the bigger tires, but not guaranteed.

The main thing you're going to have to worry about with installing bigger tires (35's & 37's) is wearing out the ball joints in the front axle. If you're not planning to off-road it, then you likely don't need to worry about adding a truss and c-gussets to the front axle. They're of course a good idea, especially if you get a wild hair up your butt and decide to take it out and see what it can really do, but not really necessary for on-road use.

Now....if you're really wanting to step up to 37's, you don't need 4" of lift to do it. My Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod, which basically consists of longer travel shocks, taller, heavier duty springs, adjustable front track bar, and front sway bar disconnects netted me about 3" of actual height. The only other you'd need to make 37's fit would be flat flares. Most people (me included) cut their factory plastic flares to accomodate, even when installing 35's. Give's a little more room to stuff the tires into the wheel wells on uptravel. I've since installed Poison Spyder Crusher Flares for a little more protection on the trail and especially aesthetics.

If you're already planning on 35's, it's really up to you as to whether or not you'd want 4.10 gears. For performance, you'd likely want to regear your axles to 4.56's w/ an automatic trans. I'm assuming that's what your wife would want, but I'm not certain. Seems most women prefer an automatic for daily commute, but there are those certain few that like the feel of a manual.

Hope this helps your decision at least a little. Food for thought: I drove my 2011 Unlimited Rubicon w 4.10 gears for about 18 months as a daily with the lift and 37's. Wasn't terrible, but accelaration was pretty poor and of course fuel economy took a pretty big hit. But my rig also has the 3.8L minivan motor that's a pig anyway.

Good luck with your decision and hope to see pics of the new Jeep soon!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-27-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah realistically it will be an automatic. Gas mileage I assume is going to be crap just like the vehicles we currently have. Nothing is over 15 in the city. I've heard the cheapest and easiest way to go if you're not planning on going off-road much is to get the 2 1/2'' lift that is basically the spacer blocks so you still utilize the factory springs and shocks. A couple people have recommended to go that route and say that 35's are fine to go with the spacer set up. Is there anything to be worried with that set up?

Also she's wanting the painted fenders instead of the black one so cutting them really doesn't seem like an option at this point.

Last edited by jream; 07-27-2015 at 04:53 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Rock God

With a 2.5 lift you shouldn't need to trim the flares for 35's. I mentioned buying 4:10 gears cause that's the lowest you can get from the factory without custom ordering. (I think). If your buying new and not expecting a race car then that shouldn't be a fine setup. Great thing about jeeps is that if you ever decide to change something, the aftermarket is there to support it. Good luck.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 12 Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 AM
JKowners Vendor

At 2.5" of lift you can actually experience some driveline to exhaust interference up front when off-road if you have longer shocks. Just be aware of that. Good luck with your build...

RK
post #7 of 12 Old 08-18-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice/info everyone...

settled on 2.5" teraflex coil spring lift w/ some rugged ridge rims...

hope it all comes together nice! i'll post some pics in the next week or so.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-18-2015, 05:03 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome to the jeep family. And owning one of the most impractical vehicles ever produced.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Hank View Post
Welcome to the jeep family. And owning one of the most impractical vehicles ever produced.
oh i dunno about that...
so far averaging 18 +mpg in town...
that's up 5-6 from what i got rid of!
post #10 of 12 Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jream View Post
oh i dunno about that...

Yeah post back once you lift it and put bigger tires under her. It's not a big deal for me but you seemed worried about it.

Ronald Reagan
post #11 of 12 Old 08-19-2015, 09:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jream View Post
oh i dunno about that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC7 View Post
Yeah post back once you lift it and put bigger tires under her. It's not a big deal for me but you seemed worried about it.
I'd almsot be willing to bet that number goes down to 15-16 in town if not worse.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-11-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

getting avg 17.3 for the past few tanks in town... according to the info center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode