VKS Stubby V1 Winch Bumper Install with Rubicon Sway Bar Motor Relocation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

VKS Stubby V1 Winch Bumper Install with Rubicon Sway Bar Motor Relocation

I finished my Saturday project and I ran across a few things during the install and searched the forums and internet and found pieces of what I needed, but nothing definitive. So, I figured I would post a write up about my project in case someone else runs into these issues.

I purchased this bumper a few weeks ago and asked David to put a custom mid-hoop on it for me and he did great. They do such a good job at VKS and their welds are GREAT!

http://www.vksfab.com/product/stubby...-winch-bumper/

I removed the factory bumper, air dam, plastic skid, etc. When test fitting I realized that the "crash bar", "bash bar", "front cross-member" (seen it called many names) was going to have to be cut off.

I already knew I was going to have to relocate the vacuum pump so I did that with the kit from Or-Fab that relocates it to the fender well. NOTE, for the '14 the bolts from the factory pump are not threaded into the pump housing, they are threaded into the factory bracket that is welded to the frame. Therefore the bolts they include with the packet will not work by themselves because they do not have nuts and lockwashers on them. Fixed that with a trip to Ace Hardware.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/or-fab-...relocation-kit

After completing that I started hacking at the bar trying to remove it. After a friend let me borrow their hacksaw and another offered up the advice to go get some 3m 1989 cutoff wheels; it was off.

It only took me a couple of hours with the cutoff wheel before it was finally off. Note to self, cut it off all the way up to the bottom of the frame. I cut it off lower than that and had to hack it off even more. It took me taking it off in 8 pieces, but I got it off.

I also removed the old vacuum pump welded on bracket from the inside of the frame rail on drivers side so it was now out of the way. Hit it with some Rustoleum and here we go.

After test fitting I emailed David at VKS and asked him if he made skid plates to cover my sway bar electronic disconnect (factory Rubicons only) and he replied very quickly with another option...the Synergy Rubicon Sway Bar Relocation Kit

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-JK...l#.VbP_yP7bJnI

This kit, as I am sure you all already know, rotates the factory motor up about 1.75" higher and helps keep it safe. Unfortunately I went to local 4WheelParts store, as I needed it today, but they did not have it in stock so off to Ace Hardware again (trip #2) and surprisingly I found everything I needed to make the kit myself so that worked out great

Had to loosen the sway bar bolts on passenger side frame rail and put a slight bend in the metal tube that runs across the bottom of the radiator but it worked out great.

Finally I was able to install the bumper and I could not be happier with the result.

Thank you David at VKS for the awesome bumper, Marcus at RiverCityOffroad.com for the inspiration from your "Tink" build!

Now waiting to install my Warn Zeon 10-S later this week

2014 JKUR Anvil--Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor with Synergy TieRod/High Steer Flip Drag Link. 35" BFG KO2
2006 TJ Rubi Solar Yellow---Retired

Last edited by ADay73; 07-26-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Zeon 10-S Installed

Installed the Zeon 10-S, but the bumper required modification in order to fit. The winch is too big to move forward enough to fit on the mounting holes. In order for it to fit I had to re-drill more holes 3/4" further back in the bumper (toward) the engine. I added grade 8 large washers to the bottom of the winch mounting bolts to help with strength since I added new holes to the base plate.

2014 JKUR Anvil--Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor with Synergy TieRod/High Steer Flip Drag Link. 35" BFG KO2
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Rock God

Looks good.

Hate to thread jack but how do you like your headlights? They are nightshade 4x4 correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

They are "Black Widow" lights that I picked up from Venemous Lighting here in Houston. Isaac sells them and I like them. They are very bright.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Rock God

Totally did not notice you were in Texas... hmm I will have to look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Isaac is great. You can reach him on Facebook via messenger.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Venom...210029?fref=ts

post #7 of 9 Old 10-17-2015, 01:44 PM

I just bought the VKS Shorty. Came back from the powder coater yesterday. I also bought the orbfab pump relocation kit. Crazy thing is, I also bought the same headlights from Venomous too. I found them on eBay and went with him because they came prewired with the anti flicker module. I'm really happy with the lights, but I don't think people sitting in front of me at the stop lights are lol.

Waiting on my buddy with all of the tools to come over next weekend to get the bumper on. Yours looks great!

Gonna save the link to this thread to refer back to before we get started. Thanks for posting this.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-17-2015, 04:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Will this bumper fit the Ramsey Patriot 9500ut?

thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 10-17-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbartlet View Post
I just bought the VKS Shorty. Came back from the powder coater yesterday. I also bought the orbfab pump relocation kit. Crazy thing is, I also bought the same headlights from Venomous too. I found them on eBay and went with him because they came prewired with the anti flicker module. I'm really happy with the lights, but I don't think people sitting in front of me at the stop lights are lol.

Waiting on my buddy with all of the tools to come over next weekend to get the bumper on. Yours looks great!

Gonna save the link to this thread to refer back to before we get started. Thanks for posting this.

Great choices of products! I am glad this thread may help you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode