08 JKUX 37s - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

08 JKUX 37s

Hey guys! I was hoping I could get a few opinions on my tire selection for my Jk!
I have an automatic JKUX, and I want to run 37s on my stock wheels with 1-1/2in spacers. I have flat fenders and 3in of lift. I was planning on regearing 5:13s and doing C-gussets about 6months later.
I won't be doing anything too serious of road. Mainly daily driving and light trails when I go hunting/fishing/camping.
What do you guys think????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 11:35 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I think it will be bearable with the 37's and 5:13s

are you looking for more input as far as s tire suggestion ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

IF you don't plan on wheeling it hard you might want to look at 5.38s. With the 42RLE auto trans in the 3.8 powered JK having such a tall overdrive gear, even 5.13s can be unbearable when you get into hilly terrain. 5.38 gears have a really small pinion gear though and can be a weak point if you intend to wheel it hard on 37s. It'll be a pretty rough 6 months driving on 37s and stock gears for 6 months. You can make it work, but it'll suck. Do you have 3.73 gears or 3.21?

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by highoctane; 07-26-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 02:25 PM
TJT
Rock God

A year ago, I would have likely thought differently, but after running 37's on my Rubicon (gusseted and sleeved) for 5 years and 60K miles and having them fail on me at a time when I wasn't wheeling, I would suggest 35's after you gusset and sleeve. You just never know how long you'll get by. Could be good forever, or they could fail the day-of. You just never know. In my case the sleeves probably saved me from a serious accident.

Oh, and I just had my rear ring gear grenade on me last month. So there's that too.

Last edited by TJT; 07-26-2015 at 02:27 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 02:51 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
IF you don't plan on wheeling it hard you might want to look at 5.38s. With the 42RLE auto trans in the 3.8 powered JK having such a tall overdrive gear, even 5.13s can be unbearable when you get into hilly terrain. 5.38 gears have a really small pinion gear though and can be a weak point if you intend to wheel it hard on 37s. It'll be a pretty rough 6 months driving on 37s and stock gears for 6 months. You can make it work, but it'll suck. Do you have 3.73 gears or 3.21?
pretty sure the axle ratios were still an available option in 08, so alot of the X and Sarahas have 4:10's

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #6 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for the input everyone! it was exactly what I was hoping to find. I was originally going to go with 35s, but I know I would retreat it shortly after!
I plan on building a Dana60 eventually, so I'm hoping my dana30 can hang in there. I'll sleeve it and get gussets when I put new gears in.
I just don't think 35s are big enough! Lol obviously the only reason I'd be getting 37s with a Dana30 up front is more for looks rather then off road capably. I would just hate to do it. And something go wrong right away.
Shame on jeep for cursing me with this weak dana30!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
pretty sure the axle ratios were still an available option in 08, so alot of the X and Sarahas have 4:10's
The 4.10s were an option in '07 with the tow package, but in '08 they dropped that and 3.73 and 3.21 was it on the X and Sahara.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 AM
Wheeler

Gusset, truss, and sleeve, and have at it man. Everyone has an opinion on Dana 30s being weak or strong, or somewhere in the middle. Everyone also drives differently, wheels differently, and has different luck. No one can tell when when something will break. You could be T-boned at the next intersection you drive through... So live a little, and if you break it, Dana 30 front axles for jeeps are pretty cheap. You learn your lesson, and move on. Just have fun!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-27-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas. View Post
Gusset, truss, and sleeve, and have at it man. Everyone has an opinion on Dana 30s being weak or strong, or somewhere in the middle. Everyone also drives differently, wheels differently, and has different luck. No one can tell when when something will break. You could be T-boned at the next intersection you drive through... So live a little, and if you break it, Dana 30 front axles for jeeps are pretty cheap. You learn your lesson, and move on. Just have fun!
Thanks man! You are right. I guess my reason for posting was to get that push to motivate me to pull the trigger. Also, there are tons of Dana 30s around my area. But if it broke, I guess I'm gonna pull out the ol credit card and throw in a dana60! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode