Painted hard top interior - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-26-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Painted hard top interior

I installed my trek armor multicam and coyote tan seat covers this past week and have been thinking about painting the hard top interior in coyote tan to match the seat covers. I really hate the white interior and have been thinking about spray painting it black for a while, but the idea popped into my head that coyote tan would look cool with the seat covers. What are your thoughts on this? Would it look good in your opinion? Would the spray paint even adhere well to the plastic hard top interior? Any insight would be helpful, thanks in advance
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-26-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

I also might be doing some other accents in coyote tan such as the ac vents and a couple other things on the dash, but I don't know if it would be too much
post #3 of 7 Old 07-26-2015, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

jmo- I think painted dashboard and interior accents look somewhere between feminine, poser, ricey, and ridiculous But I'm more of a traditionalist and I built my JK to perform... not to take best of show at the Cinco De Mayo Bro Truck Challenge. Maybe wait a while to see if the urge passes and if not then go getcha a rattle can and have at it. The only half-way decent-looking accents imo have all been color-matched to the body but whatever.

The hard-top interior in white is pretty horrible once you paint it and then look at it... wondering how you ever lived with that stark bright white for so long.

If you paint it ( and do a decent job) you will NOT regret it. Doesn't matter if you go with the tan or a satin black... either one will be BEYOND better looking than the white.

I used about 3 1/2 cans of Krylon Fusion in satin-black for my 2 door hardtop... including the front Freedom panels and the main top. Just be sure to tape everything that doesn't get painted and have at it. I suggest wearing a respirator but whatever on that.

Mine still looks great and it's been about 2 years since I did it. Durability hasn't been an issue except where my grab-handles rub a little... Doesn't matter to me though since you don't ever see that area and if I want to I can just hit that spot again to touch up.

fwiw- I've got the Trek Armors in Black/ graphite and with those seat covers and the painted interior top I feel that my Jeep looks WORLDS better than it did before.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-26-2015, 07:47 AM
Granite Guru

Stub pretty much hit the nail on the head.
I think I went through 4 cans of the Krylon-for-plastic satin black on my 4-door top. The only spots to show wear is on the freedom panels where the oh-shit handles rub. I just touch them up any time I have the panels off for more than a day.

initially I'd thought to have the "frame" inside the panels black and the center sections body color, but my friends thought it wouldn't look as good. So I compromised, and only painted the little "hat" that covers the rear wiring body color and the rest is all black. I can get pics if anyone is interested.
Can't figure out how I lived with that easy-to-smudge, glaring white interior for so long!

I've also thought about painting the accents on the dash and doors body color. But with the lightbar and front bumper looking like they've been parked in the ocean, my KC lights looking like the hull of the Titanic, and the hinges leaking some kind of powder from between the hinge plate and door, the cosmetic stuff is taking a backseat.

In the end, it's YOUR Jeep. you are the only person that matters on how it looks.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

I painted the inside of the hardtop on my old '08 JKU Rubi with Duplicator spray on truck bed coating ( rattle can not the roll on stuff). Turned out great and looked great for years. All I did was obviously remove the top, removed all the latches, some weather stripping, and rear glass. Taped everything off that I didn't want painted. Scuffed the whole thing up with some scothbrite, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, then painted 3 or 4 light coats. Looked great. I'll be doing the same to my '15's hardtop.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-26-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be using the krylon stuff I'm whichever color I decide. I've had my hard top for less than a month and the bright white interior is already driving me insane!

Stub- good idea on waiting off to see if the urge passes. I definitely want to paint it, just not sure on the color. One more thing, I'm with you on the function over looks thing... For the exterior. I figured that other than a few things, the interior doesn't have much of a purpose other than to look cool!

I also was thinking about the duplicolor bed liner, I did my floors with it and love it. It's good stuff.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Rock God

Just my 2 cents, I used Rustolium Bed liner spray can, gave it a light texture, got a couple years in, flawless, even under the latches. When you get rid of the refrigerator/cooler look, it fells like a different truck

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode