Rear Dana 44 - 2013 JKU - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Rear Dana 44 - 2013 JKU

Noticed oil leaking on the passenger side of my rear Dana 44 after getting home from an off road outing this past weekend. Is there a part number for a kit with all the parts needed to address this?

Thanks...

USMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrydd View Post
Noticed oil leaking on the passenger side of my rear Dana 44 after getting home from an off road outing this past weekend. Is there a part number for a kit with all the parts needed to address this?

Thanks...
http://www.quadratec.com/parts/jeep-...le-shaft-parts

hope that helps

you need 6. retainer and axle seal

but you need it to be pressed in

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK

Last edited by chknkatsu; 07-23-2015 at 07:31 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Rear Dana 44 - 2013 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
http://www.quadratec.com/parts/jeep-...le-shaft-parts

hope that helps

you need 6. retainer and axle seal

but you need it to be pressed in

You can re-use the axle retainer plate. It's the seal you will need to replace and to do so you will also need a new bearing and bearing retainer. The existing bearing and bearing retainer need to be cut offroad remove the bad seal and replace

The axle retainer plate and seal just slide on. The bearing and bearing retainer get pressed on

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TCdawg; 07-23-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
You can re-use the axle retainer plate. It's the seal you will need to replace and to do so you will also need a new bearing and bearing retainer. The existing bearing and bearing retainer need to be cut off

The axle retainer plate and seal just slide on. The bearing and bearing retainer get pressed on
i dont think they sell just the seal though. it's the retainer and seal one unit? and you're right about the bearing not being reusable. cant you just press the bearing off?

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #5 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
i dont think they sell just the seal though. it's the retainer and seal one unit? and you're right about the bearing not being reusable. cant you just press the bearing off?

They do sell the rear seal individually

I'm sure it's possible to press off the bearing and bearing retainer, anything is possible, but it's not going to be easy and you'll likely damage the bearing. I also don't thing the bearing retainer should be re-used...it is a very, very tight pressed on fit and probably won't fit right if re-used.

Got a press? Give it a try and let us know.

The thing is, bearings are relatively cheap and if you have the axle broke down it makes sense to put a new one in regardless

TC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
They do sell the rear seal individually

I'm sure it's possible to press off the bearing and bearing retainer, anything is possible, but it's not going to be easy and you'll likely damage the bearing. I also don't thing the bearing retainer should be re-used...it is a very, very tight pressed on fit and probably won't fit right if re-used.

Got a press? Give it a try and let us know.

The thing is, bearings are relatively cheap and if you have the axle broke down it makes sense to put a new one in regardless

then he'll need a whole set up anyway. why buy the seal separately?

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #7 of 7 Old 07-24-2015, 05:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Rear Dana 44 - 2013 JKU

Quote:
then he'll need a whole set up anyway. why buy the seal separately?

He won't need the axle retainer plate. Which is what I said in my first post in this thread. I also said in my first post that he would need a bearing and bearing retainer(they usually come together in the ones I have bought)

YOU asked if the rear axle seal and axle retaining plate were sold together or individually and I answered you. They are sold individually and he doesn't need a new axle retaining plate...

YOU told him he need #6 in that parts diagram which is wrong. #6 is the axle retainer plate which he already has and doesn't need to be replaced. He needs the seal which is #5 and then bearing and bearing retainer, #4 and 3. Nos. 4 and 3 have come together in the aftermarket bearings I have purchased. You can get them much cheaper than those prices from quadratech

TC

Last edited by TCdawg; 07-24-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode