Was considering MT 3.5" Game Changer Suspension & Overline fenders... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Was considering MT 3.5" Game Changer Suspension & Overline fenders...

But then I noticed they don't offer an aluminum option on any of it. Which is a true bummer since weight savings is VERY important to me.

I started looking at the Rock Krawler stuff but it's not a DIY, for the average driveway mechanic, kind of system from what I can tell.

So I'm curious are there any systems out there that compete with the MetalCloak and Rock Krawler systems that are aluminum and are something I can install in my driveway on some jack stands?

I'm really bummed because I REALLY like the MetalCloak stuff... (aside from the no aluminum option...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Rock God

What parts do you want in aluminum? Aluminum links will not weigh less as they are solid and you will need a larger diameter. They can't be bent, so that could cause a front tire clearance issue. RK would probably make them for you in aluminum, but it will cost some serious $$$. Best route would be to make your own and just order whatever joints you want and get the links from WOD already machined.

As for the armor, it is not much of a weight savings. You'll want to use 3/16" vs. 1/8" or 10 gauge steel. Maybe you save 50 lbs total with all the armor and fenders. The fenders will dent more easily. Aluminum welds are much more prone to cracking.

I just made my own corner armor to replace my MetalCloak Overlines. I was going to make it out of aluminum until I realized how light the steel armor was. I had forgotten how little it weighed. For me the price difference was just the nominal material cost and it definitely wasn't worth it.

Best place to save weight is the skids and bumpers. Beyond that, ditch the JK suspension design and cut out all the steel that doesn't need to be there.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Wheeler

Metal Cloak makes the Overland Tube fenders in Aluminum. Not as strong as the overline from what I've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 01:53 PM
JKowners Vendor

Are you looking to do a "Mid Arm" System in Aluminum? We can build that with 7075 Straight Arms with double krawler joints for an extra fee....

Give us a shout if you would like. Our Off-Road Pro Long Arm Systems are bad a$$, but that would be one heck of a driveway install... You really cannot compare long arms to mid arms either...

RK
post #5 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post
What parts do you want in aluminum?
I'm mostly looking at the control arms. The Currie aluminum control arms I had on my LJ were nice. Maybe there's not as much weight savings as I think.. but I'm trying to shave every pound possible without making it a terrible DD. Sure I could pull the A/C and so forth.. but it's a DD my wife drives too. It's our only vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Are you looking to do a "Mid Arm" System in Aluminum? We can build that with 7075 Straight Arms with double krawler joints for an extra fee....

Give us a shout if you would like. Our Off-Road Pro Long Arm Systems are bad a$$, but that would be one heck of a driveway install... You really cannot compare long arms to mid arms either...

RK
Honestly, I've never run a long arm. This will be a DD with the intent to crawl every trail I can find.. I'm not a speed racer. I prefer the slow crawl. But I really want a smooth ride on the road. I haven't heard many good things about long arms for someone who crawls like I do. Seems like they are more trouble than they are worth when crawling over rocks.. Hear they are great for racing up mountains though... :P

Anyway, I'm inexperienced for sure, and I don't even have a driveway to do the install. I'm traveling a lot and trailering the Jeep right now. So that's why it's important to me to be done easily. I really don't want to shell out $1500 for the install of fenders and another $1500 for the suspension install.

Not to mention I prefer to do the work myself whenever I am able.

Last edited by Altonymous; 07-20-2015 at 03:32 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonymous View Post
I'm mostly looking at the control arms. The Currie aluminum control arms I had on my LJ were nice. Maybe there's not as much weight savings as I think.. but I'm trying to shave every pound possible without making it a terrible DD. Sure I could pull the A/C and so forth.. but it's a DD my wife drives too. It's our only vehicle.
I have a 4 door JKUR, MC system with teraflex shocks, sliders, front and rear bumpers, full skids, 3.8L on stock 4.10 gears and 35s....it's not a racer and my mpgs aren't great, but I don't think the weight is a huge deal. With the right suspension, your jeep will handle close to stock even with the extra weight. Get the right suspension for the weight and your handling will be fine, I can take corners at or above posted speeds with minimal body roll, but it is set up right. realize that it's a jeep and mpgs sucked from the factory...and you'd be better off keeping small tires for that issue.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Rock God

i understand weight is something to be conscious about on these pigs, but what is it that youre doing that makes you want to consider aluminum arms? im not disagreeing with you, just curious about your end goal

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #8 of 9 Old 07-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Rock God

This may help you out. Arm weights.

MetalCloak uses 1.5" x .188" DOM tube for arms. If you are going to run 7075 aluminum arms on a JK, I wouldn't run less than 2" OD, especially if you wheel it. You could use 1.75" OD for the uppers though.

MetalCloak DOM: 2.628 lbs/ft.

2" 7075: 3.84 lbs/ft. (1.75" is 2.91 lbs, so still more than the DOM)

So, using aluminum, you would add ~15lbs over the DOM.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dude, you're WAY overthinking it.

You can't go wrong with either Metal Cloak or Rock Krawler. I've had the 2.5" Game Changer light lift on my rig for almost 2 years and I'd buy it again in a minute.

Either lift can be installed in your driveway with simple tools, jack stands, and a floor jack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode