• 1 Post By catronro
  • 3 Post By KrawlOff-Road.com
  • 1 Post By JRiShocks
  • 1 Post By Rockroaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 07-20-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JRi 250 mile Shock Review

I just wanted to do a write up for those interested in the newly released JRi Shocks for our JK’s. I contacted JRi months ago about their product because I’m a sucker for new and unique stuff. They answered all my questions regarding the shocks pre purchase. They were great at explaining things in a way a simple non-mechanical guy like myself could relate to. They have also stayed in touch inquiring into how I liked my set up. So far their customer service has been excellent. My main point of contact has been Seth Fargher but I have also spoken extensively with Tony Cuva their offroad manager.
-As a side note, Tony went out of his way while on vacation to speak with me about the shocks. Real top notch guy.

Just for reference my build consist of a Synergy stage 4, 4.5” LA, 37x12.50r17 Nitto’s wrapped around Raceline avenger bead locks. Keeping in mind I’m still running stock bumpers front and rear so the jeep is a little Bouncy, if that’s the right word since its not loaded down.

I will say that I am still in the process of getting the aftermath (alignment, gears, etc) all finished after my lift was put on. But, My initial impression of the shocks is that they are SMOOTH!

When I picked up my jeep I drove it home without checking the setting on the shocks and I was satisfied with the ride. I wasn’t blown away like I had hoped. BUT, when I got home I realized that my tires were set to 40 psi and the shocks set to the #3 setting. So, I dropped the tires to 32psi (since I was still running 4.10’s) but left the shocks at the #3 setting.

To be honest I would have been totally satisfied right there. There was a noticeable increase in feedback in road roughness and noise but I suspect its all tire. The reason I say this is because (still set to #3) the shocks absolutely soak up the larger potholes, train tracks and larger “road obstacles” with absolute ease. Again, Id be fine to drive the jeep at the #3 setting no questions asked.

Then, I dropped the shocks to the lowest #1 setting. This is where things got very interesting. Before I go any further and without looking like a total Jackass, the #1 setting as explained to me is more that just the lowest/softest setting. This is what JRi has termed to be their “On Road” setting. The Guys at JRi explained that the #1 On Road setting was very different from the higher setting but I cant recall the specifics. I hope they chime in.

So, the drive. It was Butter smooth and handled great. My father has a 4dr Rubi with 4” clayton running Fox with resi’s and I would stack it against it any day and wouldn’t trade him either. Again, it’s noticeable that my jeep would benefit from some weight via bumpers. The closest thing I can relate it to is an unloaded truck bed feeling.

I do find myself hunting for larger “obstacles” in the road to test the entire suspension on. I haven’t found anything thus far that jars the jeep or bottoms out any of the shocks. There is a rubber Ring around the lower shaft that I’m using to see my farthest point of travel. So far the ring has stayed between ½ and ¾ of the full shock travel.

My only complaint so far is that the rear shocks use a metal tie strap, I’m sure there is a technical term I’m forgetting, to hold on the resi. I want to see if I can use the red Billet Clamp that they use on the fronts for the rear. My quick eyeball of everything is that it should fit. I think that would look a ton better IMO.

I wish I had more on and off road miles to report on but that will have to wait. The Jeep is back in the shop getting gears so I’m out a jeep for now. But I will say this; I think the JRi shocks are awesome (from what I’ve seen so far). I will post up with a long-term report when I can but for now this is what I have. I will get Pics up asap.

If anyone has any questions Id be happy to answer to the best of my ability and if you’re ever in my area id be happy to take anyone interested for a ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Wheeler

Feedback

Thanks for the great review Ryan! And great question on the billet clamps that we include on the front shocks but not on the rear.

First and foremost, we're going for ease of adjustability. The simplest answer is that mounting the reservoir and the adjuster knob on the shock body (like we did with the front) would require the user to crawl underneath the vehicle to make an adjustment.

Locating it inside the rear wheel well on top of the frame provides easy access for quick adjustments as well as keeps the reservoir and adjuster out of the way of rocks and debris.

Additionally, our goal with this entire package was to provide a usable shock system that would work with just about any configuration of build/modification that people might have. Relocating a muffler or moving a sway bar back etc. Mounting the shock reservoir on the frame rail keeps it out of the way regardless of what modifications people may have made and its much easier to adjust than having to crawl under the vehicle.

As for the "highway" setting you mentioned, we specifically designed the shock to provide a noticeable difference on the highway while offering a wide range of adjustment. The best way to describe it is that settings 2 through 6 provide incremental adjustments where setting 1 features a noticeably softer feel. For that reason it is much softer and provides a significantly more plush ride on the road which is what it seems like you experienced as well.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Wheeler

JRi JK Shock Installation Video

This great installation video from the crew over at Ruff Stuff Specialties and BleepinJeep shows what we're talking about with the rear reservoir mounting location. Right about 4:50.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-21-2015, 02:40 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Holyseventeenhundredfuckingdollars Batman!

They outa be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #5 of 24 Old 07-21-2015, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I feel kinda bad because when they introduced these on the new products thread a few months back , I posted a diatribe about it seeming that ,these days ,anything new product wise that is of decent quality being introduced for the JK/JKU being an immediate deduction from the bank account of $700-1500 and no matter how revolutionary the new JRI shocks were how it'd be truly revolutionary to see a high end product that also blows the doors off of this seemingly mandatory price range .
Seeing the bleepinJeep vid and reading this makes me realize I probably didn't respect the product design and superiority so I am impressed . I honestly thought King , ORI struts , Walker Evans and Sway-a-way had more or less cornered the high end racing /rock crawl shock world but now we can add these to the list of über-dampeners that cost not much more than most folks make in a month. Plus they are black and that is cool.

<edit : does the adjustment only control compression or does it affect rebound as well as compression ? I guess that'd be a bypass so it is a compressive dampener dial on these , correct ?
thanks >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-21-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot to ask about something
post #6 of 24 Old 07-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Holyseventeenhundredfuckingdollars Batman!

They outa be nice.
it's only $425 per shock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-21-2015, 04:38 PM
JKO Addict!

those 9's are sweeeet

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #8 of 24 Old 07-21-2015, 04:52 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

425 is still steep, but they are well built and they look nice! Plus adjustable and resi, when you consider the Fox 2.0 Evo's i'm running were almost 100 a piece and are at the bottom of their lineup, that doesn't seem all that unreasonable, especially for something machined and assembled by Americans. Get what you pay for when talking about performance, which these are...
BMFNTOY likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Wheeler

No need to feel bad and thank you for the follow up. We know there are many options out there which is why we took our time meeting with Jeep owners to get their feedback about what was missing and testing as long as we did before launching the product. Our goal has always been to be different from the rest and not just another shock company trying to jump in the game. With this being said we did exactly what JK owners told us was needed and went for it. At the end of the day we just want to produce a quality performing product that exceeds our customers needs, justifying the purchase they made.

Tony

Last edited by JRiShocks; 07-22-2015 at 07:02 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 AM
Wheeler

Our adjuster is checked on compression and open on rebound which means the adjuster knob controls compression only and the internal rebound valving at the "main" (shaft) piston controls rebound. What you are describing is a proportional compression/rebound adjuster using an "open jet" (no check ball). Rebound and compression are controlled and defined by the internal rebound and compression valving at the "main" (shaft) piston. So in this case, if you have a main piston build with 70% rebound and 30% compression in a shock with an open jet and external adjuster the majority of your adjusting will influence rebound.

Tony
post #11 of 24 Old 07-24-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
it's only $425 per shock.
Only?
post #12 of 24 Old 07-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

great writeup and I have to agree with the OP. These things are great. Mine is a pretty heavy beast as it is, and these make the ride so much more pleasant than any other shock I've tried.

As he said he was happy with the 3, thats about where I'm at (but at 4). Thats whats great about these things. The adjustability based on the way you drive, where you drive, and how the setup is on your JK. These can easily be made to make your Jeep ride the way you want, in any terrain, just by turning a nob.

Mine rode like crap before I put these on; bad enough to wear my wife hated to ride in it. Now the ride is much smoother and comfortable. First time she rode in it since I installed them, she brought it up to me, that it rides much better, and she didnt feel like she was bouncing all over the place. She likes to ride in it more now. In fact, I have a truck for a daily driver, but lately I find myself driving this everyday because its just that much more pleasant.

Im taking mine out on the trails next weekend, in Uwharrie, where there are also a ton of bumpy, dusty, dirt roads between trails, to really test these out at higher speeds. Looking forward to the results.

. DV8 Offroad JRI Shocks CORBEAU Seats

post #13 of 24 Old 07-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Wheeler

I just bought a set of JRi Shocks!

I just purchased a set of JRI Shocks and couldn't be happier.

For reference I have a 2010 JK with a 5.7 Hemi, Currie Dana 60 Axles, Metalcloak lift, and 40" MTR tires.

I am going to break this up into several sections

Customer Service:

Excellent! After ordering my shocks Tony at JRi called me to discuss my order, my jeep, relate other customer experiences with similar setups to mine, and suggested some initial settings. He sent me a tips and tricks video for the install which came in handy. He also has asked that I call him after the install so that he can walk me through tuning them (I will be taking him up on this Friday!)

Packaging:

Again Excellent! This is probably one of the best packed products I have every received, you can tell some thought went into making sure your shocks get to you undamaged.

Product Quality:

The shocks feel very well made. The clicks on the adjuster knobs are solid, not to soft, not to hard. I love the mounting of the rear shocks reservoir on the frame for easy access...it has already come in handy

Install:

They are shocks, its not rocket science. Make sure you watch the tips and tricks video. Get a 1 1/8" ratchet wrench, it makes it way easier on the fronts.

Performance:

I have owned several shocks on this JK trying to find the right combo of on and off road performance. I have had these on for about 150 miles and can tell you they are amazing. The last shocks I had were great at soaking up bumps but would have my rear end swaying back and forth every time I hit a large bump (like the bump at the end of my driveway). After installing these and pulling out of my driveway, no more crazy sway but the ride is still nice. I have played with several of the settings and can definitely say there is a noticeable difference between each click. I think this is important because so much of what makes a ride good is subjective to the driver, with this true adjustability I can dial it in for me. I haven't had these rock crawling yet, but based on performance so far I don't think I will be disappointed.

Just when you think its all been thought of somebody comes along and improves the design. Great Job JRi!!
Rockroaster likes this.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Rock God

With the way the font mounts it looks like you could lose an inch or so of up travel , How big is that bracket ?

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #15 of 24 Old 07-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Wheeler

It is 1 3/4" from the shock mount to the center of the mounting bolt. For reference its 1 1/4" from the shock mount to the bottom of the rubber bushing on the shocks I took off.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-21-2016, 08:31 AM
JKowners Vendor

We just signed up with JRi as a dealer and have a set coming soon for one of our shop JK's. This thread has got us pumped. These things are going to be awesome...

-Jason
coilrod, kjeeper10 and Rockroaster like this.

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #17 of 24 Old 07-21-2016, 10:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catronro View Post
It is 1 3/4" from the shock mount to the center of the mounting bolt. For reference its 1 1/4" from the shock mount to the bottom of the rubber bushing on the shocks I took off.

So .5 difference compared to a standard front JK shock ?
Thats not too bad. Since its a res shock im assuming the compressed lengths are shorter as well?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #18 of 24 Old 07-21-2016, 10:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Heres the chart from the site. 18.645 is a lot. Does the bracket add to that or is it figured in ?

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1469118679.447674.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  113.8 KB

post #19 of 24 Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Wheeler

It includes the bracket.
kjeeper10 likes this.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Rock God

Ok im missing it , if you move the shock down a 1 1/2 isn't that lost up travel ? And if I have a 3.5 lift do you go with the taller shocks ?

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #21 of 24 Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Well it depends, Look at the total compressed lengths i posted (which includes the bracket)
You will need a good amount of bumpstop to not over compress the shock. If the amount of bump stop did not allow the shock to fully compress, you would not lose travel.
Those shocks are longer overall. Unseating the coils would worry me more.

post #22 of 24 Old 07-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Granite Guru

I agree with kjepper. I did not loose any travel when switching to these shocks, based on how my bumps are setup to run/clear the 40"s. 11" of travel, is 11" of travel if set up properly. Mine bump out right before the shock bottoms out, and extend to full length. And at full droop, my coils just start to become slightly loose (not unseated though), which IMO, is ideal. Certainly unseating them is not what you want.

post #23 of 24 Old 07-22-2016, 02:02 PM
JKO Addict!

What coils do you run ?

post #24 of 24 Old 07-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

TF 4" coils, with RK 4 link long arm front, and 3 link long arm rear
kjeeper10 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode