Awesome fabricated tire carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Awesome fabricated tire carrier

Hope everyone is having a good day!

I just wanted to throw out an awesome idea I found a while back! It's a tire carier that is mounted inside the cargo area on a JKU. It uses the roll cage as a mounting point and looks awesome!
The only thing that had me on the fence was it having a slightly higher center of gravity (2-3in). But I feel like it won't be anything too noticeable.
I'll have my subwoofer mounted directly underneath it.

I am having a local shop fabricate it for me the first weekend I get home so I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes!
Please chime in if you can think of any cool additions, or have any concerns that could prevent injury or damage to my jeep!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 09:45 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

That tire carrier belongs to a member on here MATTI

there was a debate whether he built it himself or he had a shop fabricate it for him, he does have a bunch of pics of it in here, but it surely isn't any new technology.

post up some pics when its done and let me know what the shop charged you for it.

I mount my spare in the back with straps, but am interested in going this route

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thumbs up

must be something in the JKOwners waters because ( literally ) last evening - as I scoped out my TnT plate delete |ORO plate light/3rd brake |OEM license plate relocation +hole plug solution install - I looked at the spare 37 ratchet strapped into the back w/ the seats folded down and said to myself," there has GOT to be a means of affixing the spare internally , not laying down , mounted and still allowing for the backseats to be available for occupants ..."

I searched and found the ORF pre-runner , some others and finally came to conclusion that I'd have to concoct something up and have it made or make it .

This is cool as crap but I would want the same premise but by some means have it made of aluminum box or tube for weight saving purposes ( which translates to GenRight calibre pricing or more , if it'd even work) ; definitely interested in your results and post pix ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
That tire carrier belongs to a member on here MATTI

there was a debate whether he built it himself or he had a shop fabricate it for him, he does have a bunch of pics of it in here, but it surely isn't any new technology.

post up some pics when its done and let me know what the shop charged you for it.

I mount my spare in the back with straps, but am interested in going this route

The shop told me they would do it for me for $250 with whatever options I want! I am having quite a bit of stuff done as well.
I really think this would be a hot seller if big companies would make it! I contacted at least 5 different big companies, and they all told me they didn't have the time to design something like this.
I'm sure I can make a deal with my shop that's doing this and get a decent amount produced.
post #5 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I would think Soemone like VKS could get something like this done in a small run and have no problem selling a bunch !

I will post a link to Matti's thread so you can look at what he has going on there.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #6 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 12:22 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203593

pics are all gone, but if you PM he can probably get you some

post #7 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 12:23 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
must be something in the JKOwners waters because ( literally ) last evening - as I scoped out my TnT plate delete |ORO plate light/3rd brake |OEM license plate relocation +hole plug solution install - I looked at the spare 37 ratchet strapped into the back w/ the seats folded down and said to myself," there has GOT to be a means of affixing the spare internally , not laying down , mounted and still allowing for the backseats to be available for occupants ..."

I searched and found the ORF pre-runner , some others and finally came to conclusion that I'd have to concoct something up and have it made or make it .

This is cool as crap but I would want the same premise but by some means have it made of aluminum box or tube for weight saving purposes ( which translates to GenRight calibre pricing or more , if it'd even work) ; definitely interested in your results and post pix ....
If your willing to sacrifice your rear cubby, pull the cover off, let the spare sit down in ther lean against the back seat. sits low enough where you can see right over the seats and the eear seats are usbale with no issue.

post #8 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 12:47 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
I would think Soemone like VKS could get something like this done in a small run and have no problem selling a bunch !

I will post a link to Matti's thread so you can look at what he has going on there.
We've had a couple guys inquire about us building them. Never came to fruition though. It's a simple part to build, no one has coughed up the cash yet.

I was thinking about doing a small run of these. I have one in the rear of our JK. Only down side is with a 40" you cannot use the rear seats. Which isn't a big deal to me, that's where my dog rides. Its hinged/pinned using 3/4" heims to pivot it up and remove the spare.

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #9 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah I checked out his thread, I love the idea! I think I am going to have them mount it as low as possible so I can still see out of my rearview. I just want to be able to still squeeze my subwoofer underneath it. I'm going to see if I should order the clamps for it, or if the shop will have another alternative. Do you guys think just one clamp will hold? I honestly think one will be fine.
post #10 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
We've had a couple guys inquire about us building them. Never came to fruition though. It's a simple part to build, no one has coughed up the cash yet.

I was thinking about doing a small run of these. I have one in the rear of our JK. Only down side is with a 40" you cannot use the rear seats. Which isn't a big deal to me, that's where my dog rides. Its hinged/pinned using 3/4" heims to pivot it up and remove the spare.

That doesn't look to bad at all. But I am hooked on the carrier idea! How much cash we talkin for production!?
post #11 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emde2104 View Post
That doesn't look to bad at all. But I am hooked on the carrier idea! How much cash we talkin for production!?
Shoot me an email to [email protected] and I can get you a quote.

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #12 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Email sent, thanks bud!
post #13 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Like the shelf
post #14 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
If your willing to sacrifice your rear cubby, pull the cover off, let the spare sit down in ther lean against the back seat. sits low enough where you can see right over the seats and the eear seats are usbale with no issue.
thanks, man. anytime I need to have the spare back there the cubbie's loaded with tools and cooler...plus stupid tonneau cover ( i am about to go for the ORH top like all you other guys have so had to use Bestop bikini for 3 seasons; yuch....) ...thanks again Asmmns,,,,

post #15 of 51 Old 07-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

Yeah. Tires inside are cool. I dig mine.
Attached Images

post #16 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 12:16 AM
Granite Guru

I would rather have mine laying flat so I can see behind me. Might as well get rid of the rearview mirror considering all you'll see is rubber.
post #17 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apt View Post
Thats cool that it lays perfectly flat so you cant even see it. would be a waste of those flush mount leds to have it hanging on the back !

post #18 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That looks awesome! Exactly what I'm going for! I also want to add a backup camera!
post #19 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Good Lord... That poor little Jeep to the right...

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #20 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Haha^^

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #21 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Good Lord... That poor little Jeep to the right...
P-I-M-P

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #22 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
I would rather have mine laying flat so I can see behind me. Might as well get rid of the rearview mirror considering all you'll see is rubber.
Who needs a rearview mirror
Attached Images

post #23 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descent View Post
Who needs a rearview mirror
I recently added (highly ) effective spotter came from China to underside to show me the goings-ons between the front and rear diffs & the terrain between each pair of tires ; I left appropriate wiring for this cool idea for rear view .... this is the bomb ; how are you supporting this from flying forward should you (
( hope it never does ,of course ) have any accidental stoppage? Nice job !

post #24 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
is there images documenting what you're using to secure the tire in this manner available ? exactly what I wanna have . again , bang-up job ...

post #25 of 51 Old 07-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I recently added (highly ) effective spotter came from China to underside to show me the goings-ons between the front and rear diffs & the terrain between each pair of tires ; I left appropriate wiring for this cool idea for rear view .... this is the bomb ; how are you supporting this from flying forward should you (
( hope it never does ,of course ) have any accidental stoppage? Nice job !
Just used the existing mounting hardware that came with the carrier.

Camera sits back far enough that there wouldn't be any contact
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode