HELP: Clearance Problem After Lift Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

HELP: Clearance Problem After Lift Install

Hi all,

I am having quite a problem with clearance between my tires and my rock rails.

I lifted my 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10A with a 3" Rancho Lift over the weekend and installed 37" MT/R's at the same time. Note, the coil spacers that I planned to use during the install were shipped to me wrong, so I don't have them installed yet.

The kit included upper adjustable control arms, but did not include adjustable lower control arms. I plan to install a 2" spacer to the front and a 1.5" spacer to the rear. The problem in seeing however is that my Rubicon rock rails are dangerously close to my 37's..... With or without the spacers.

My pinch seam was cut from the factory (2013) and I trimmed the rock rails.

Should I just buy adjustable lower control arms? I'm concerned that I can't move the axle back enough to matter much as the clearance behind the tire is limited.

Here are some pictures... Does anyone know what can resolve this? I can't really articulate with them like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

you can either

get more lift

cut the slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 06:53 AM
JKowners Vendor

Looks like you need to do more trimming to be able to use that lift with 37s. Also putting flat fenders will probably fix that as well with the correct bump stops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
Looks like you need to do more trimming to be able to use that lift with 37s. Also putting flat fenders will probably fix that as well with the correct bump stops.
I was thinking about the flat fenders. I really like the Bushwacker Flat Style Fenders. I'm just concerned that after I put the coil spring spacers in and add the new fenders it would leave too much exposed wheel well.

Thoughts?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazards280 View Post
I was thinking about the flat fenders. I really like the Bushwacker Flat Style Fenders. I'm just concerned that after I put the coil spring spacers in and add the new fenders it would leave too much exposed wheel well.

Thoughts?
3" should be plenty of lift for 37's with flat fenders. I wouldn't add the coil spacers. You will need to trim the rock rail, I cut about 1.5" off the rear with a Metabo, the plastic piece wedges back in.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
3" should be plenty of lift for 37's with flat fenders. I wouldn't add the coil spacers. You will need to trim the rock rail, I cut about 1.5" off the rear with a Metabo, the plastic piece wedges back in.
Thanks Sixstring. I actually did cut about 1.5" off of the rock rails already, they are still pretty close. The pictures above are as it stands today. I could adjust my upper control arms back but that's not going to shift the whole axle back.

I'm concerned that the second the rear starts to flex the tire is going to shift forward and hit the body.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Rock God

The axle will move slightly back in the rear during compression.

How much bump stop are you running?

How much more can you trim the rock rails?

You need tire clearance (bump stop, trimming, flat flares, body lift), choose your method or combination that works best for your build and budget.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31183
post #8 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Granite Guru

If not mistaken you need to either:
do alot of fender cutting

or

remove wrap style around rear bumper and get adjustable rear lower control arms to push axle back 1 1/2" and cut back rubi rail?

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

like usmc said ^^^^ looks like you can't push the axle back due to the bumper.. i have a 3.5 lift on mine an plenty of room for 37's..plus a 1.25 body lift ,but a body lift won't help you..

'15 hydro blue JKU...tinted windows,3.5 RC lift,1.25 BL,37" DC fun country's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Granite Guru

If you move from a 3" suspension lift up to 5", you might start pricing a driveshaft(s)? And a flip? And the other sets of ca's? Brakelines? Bumpstops?

Easier to just do more trimming and maybe remove the rear bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode