Aftermarket D44 Front Axle Failures? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Bumpstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 644
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
Aftermarket D44 Front Axle Failures?

Who runs or has run a Pro Rock 44, Tera Flex 44, Rock Jock 44, or G2 Core 44 have a front drive line failure?

I'm specifically looking for people who have had ring or pinon failures.

Pics? What gears and tires were you running?
Bumpstick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI
Posts: 570
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
Who runs or has run a Pro Rock 44, Tera Flex 44, Rock Jock 44, or G2 Core 44 have a front drive line failure?

I'm specifically looking for people who have had ring or pinon failures.

Pics? What gears and tires were you running?
Same size gears is a stock D44 axle. I blew up 4.88s running 37s on a light 2-door. There was a thread on this on another JK specific forum. No shortage of people who have blown 44 gears.
Invest2m4 is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Bumpstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 644
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Aftermarket housings have more material and ribbing than Rubicon D44. The stiffer housing will have less deflection under heavy loads. Deflection is a killer of things with small tolerances like differential gears.
Bumpstick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Rock God
 
Robnoxious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bakersfield CA
Posts: 620
Feedback: 0 reviews

Been running 37's and the stock housing and gears for 3 years now. I dont wheel as often or as hard as a lot of people but my Jeep has done the Rubicon, the Dusy Ershim, Swamp and Coyote Lakes multiple times and so far has held up. A lot of guys I know run a similar setup though most of them have regeared. I havent seen a front d44 blow up its gears yet but most of the guys I wheel with minimize wheel spin and try and crawl rather than mash the gas.
Robnoxious1 is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Bumpstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 644
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

I have a Sport with a D30 w/Detroit locker, 4043 alloy shafts, and 4.88. The rear is the stock D44 w/OX locker, 35 spline Nitro shafts, 4.88. When I get my RK OffRoad Pro Long Arm with 6" rear stretch the rear will be getting trussed.
Bumpstick is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 525
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
Who runs or has run a Pro Rock 44, Tera Flex 44, Rock Jock 44, or G2 Core 44 have a front drive line failure?

I'm specifically looking for people who have had ring or pinon failures.

Pics? What gears and tires were you running?
I ran a Pro Rock 44 in a 2010 two door JK. No problems with it.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
MOPWR2U is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Bumpstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 644
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
I ran a Pro Rock 44 in a 2010 two door JK. No problems with it.
Did you run the regular PR44 or the 1/2 wall tube PR?

What size tires? What gears?
Bumpstick is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Wheeler
 
jeep2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Euless, Texas
Posts: 61
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'd like to know who else also. I think Dynatrac has only a few recorded 44 front ring/pinion failures.
jeep2007 is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 07-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 525
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
Did you run the regular PR44 or the 1/2 wall tube PR?

What size tires? What gears?
regular wall thickness, 35" tires, 5.38 gears.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
MOPWR2U is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 07-14-2015, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Bumpstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 644
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

My plan is for 5.38 when I upgrade my front axle and I will continue to run Super Swamper Iroks but I will step it up to 40s eventually.
Bumpstick is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 07-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 857
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
My plan is for 5.38 when I upgrade my front axle and I will continue to run Super Swamper Iroks but I will step it up to 40s eventually.

5.38 and 40s on a dana44? i dont care what housing you're running you're going to have a failure. i know thats not the answer you're looking for, but if you're doing anything even remotely challenging you'll be shredding gears

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
chknkatsu is offline  
post #12 of 37 Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 PM
JKO Addict!
 
TCdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodstock, Ga
Age: 50
Posts: 3,720
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews
Aftermarket D44 Front Axle Failures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
5.38 and 40s on a dana44? i dont care what housing you're running you're going to have a failure. i know thats not the answer you're looking for, but if you're doing anything even remotely challenging you'll be shredding gears

5.38's are tough in a d44, if you wheel it.

I have torched 2 sets of gears in the rear of mine, on 37's. Cryo'd the 3rd set. We'll see how they do

I'll try and add something productive for the OP...been running a PR 44 w 5.38's on 37's for a year. No problems.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TCdawg is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 PM
Granite Guru
 
DirtyMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 124
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'd run 40s on a Jana 54. Would not consider it on any D44 gearset, period.
DirtyMJ is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 07-17-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Bumpstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 644
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Right now I'm on 33 Iroks till they wear down then I'm stepping up to the 37 (36.8 actual) bias ply. Currently awaiting install: 4.88, D30 Detroit Locker (4043 alloy shafts are already installed), D44 OX Locker with 35 spline shafts.

The 40s would be for wheeling here in Florida where the stuff gets deep. There is a high chance that I will have 2 sets of wheels and tires.
Bumpstick is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 07-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 857
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
5.38's are tough in a d44, if you wheel it.

I have torched 2 sets of gears in the rear of mine, on 37's. Cryo'd the 3rd set. We'll see how they do

I'll try and add something productive for the OP...been running a PR 44 w 5.38's on 37's for a year. No problems.
at 37's i think it's a hit or miss depending on what and how you wheel. but 3 more inches of tire is a lot more tire. you are far beyond dana44 territory no matter what gears you run. i say save your money and get tons.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
chknkatsu is offline  
post #16 of 37 Old 07-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Granite Guru
 
DFW Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lake whitney, Texas
Age: 33
Posts: 286
Feedback: 1 reviews

If you want 44's to last with 40's you better put your jeep on a diet! I've wheeled with a ton of yota buggies and sammi buggies on 44's and 39" iroks, but they were all very light rigs.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DFW Rusty is offline  
post #17 of 37 Old 07-18-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Bumpstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 644
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
If you want 44's to last with 40's you better put your jeep on a diet! I've wheeled with a ton of yota buggies and sammi buggies on 44's and 39" iroks, but they were all very light rigs.
I may just stick with 37s. And wheel it like that and evaluate if I need 40s.

And yes my JK will be on a diet. I'm going to be switching to synthetic winch line, aluminum front and rear bumpers. As of right now I don't run tails that require aftermarket skids. And my JK is a 2dr what will be upgraded to a RK 6" stretch long arm, the OffRoad Pro with the aluminum arms.
Bumpstick is offline  
post #18 of 37 Old 07-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,909
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
at 37's i think it's a hit or miss depending on what and how you wheel. but 3 more inches of tire is a lot more tire. you are far beyond dana44 territory no matter what gears you run. i say save your money and get tons.
point me to a thread or can you give me some idea of the best means of accomplishing your suggestion on ,"save your money and get tons..." ; I read this all the time and wanna know what is the most expeditious and cost effective way of "getting on tons "; not meaning to hijack OPs thread ...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #19 of 37 Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 857
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
I may just stick with 37s. And wheel it like that and evaluate if I need 40s.

And yes my JK will be on a diet. I'm going to be switching to synthetic winch line, aluminum front and rear bumpers. As of right now I don't run tails that require aftermarket skids. And my JK is a 2dr what will be upgraded to a RK 6" stretch long arm, the OffRoad Pro with the aluminum arms.
so...you dont run trails that need aftermarket skids...BUT you might need 40's?

eh...if you say so. your rig

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
chknkatsu is offline  
post #20 of 37 Old 07-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Granite Guru
 
DirtyMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 124
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
so...you dont run trails that need aftermarket skids...BUT you might need 40's?

eh...if you say so. your rig
Florida is rather muddy from it all being only 20' or less above sea level, or so I gather.
DirtyMJ is offline  
post #21 of 37 Old 07-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 857
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMJ View Post
Florida is rather muddy from it all being only 20' or less above sea level, or so I gather.
i think the JK or any non-heavy duty pick up platform is terrible for mud. even with 40's mud will bog down any underpowered vehicle. we just dont have enough power for mud, and if you regear it to make up for the lost power you'll just lose wheel speed.

if mud is really what you're building this for then you should just save all that cash you're about to throw down and buy an old pickup with a v8 and D60s and call it a day

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
chknkatsu is offline  
post #22 of 37 Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Jeepineer
 
JKred07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Comminecticut
Posts: 1,495
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMJ View Post
I'd run 40s on a Jana 54. Would not consider it on any D44 gearset, period.
I'll agree with you on Gen I D44's.

Gen 1 D44's use a 8.5" ring gear. Gen II (JK) use an 8.75" which is very close to the D50 gear size. So close in fact, that the pirate vendor who sells both the JANA 54 and JANA k4 kits (unRL) rates both at about 44% strength gain over Gen I 44's. Dana likely derates the rest of the Gen II D44's due to the strength of the shafts/axle u-joints. I wouldn't recommend running 40's without a significant beefing of the factory housing, and even then your rear is likely on borrowed time, and front shafts won't be happy.

LINKY

As far as aftermarket failures, any aftermarket housing is going to have reinforcement to prevent deflection, which is the number 1 killer of gears. They're going to be few and far between but it all depends on the drive and the setup.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
JKred07 is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 07-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI
Posts: 570
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
point me to a thread or can you give me some idea of the best means of accomplishing your suggestion on ,"save your money and get tons..." ; I read this all the time and wanna know what is the most expeditious and cost effective way of "getting on tons "; not meaning to hijack OPs thread ...
Try my build thread. My tons were at about $5k all in (including new gears and Yuon air lockers). Ended up being more as I chose to add some things like RCVs, etc. Artec makes kits for them now as well, if you just want to keep the stock suspension setup. Pick the axles up, weld the kit on, bolt them in. They even have the ABS conversion with them, so it works with the JK ABS and traction control.

Then you also get to sell two axles to offset the cost.
Invest2m4 is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 07-21-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Bumpstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 644
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
I'll agree with you on Gen I D44's.

Gen 1 D44's use a 8.5" ring gear. Gen II (JK) use an 8.75" which is very close to the D50 gear size. So close in fact, that the pirate vendor who sells both the JANA 54 and JANA k4 kits (unRL) rates both at about 44% strength gain over Gen I 44's. Dana likely derates the rest of the Gen II D44's due to the strength of the shafts/axle u-joints. I wouldn't recommend running 40's without a significant beefing of the factory housing, and even then your rear is likely on borrowed time, and front shafts won't be happy.

LINKY

As far as aftermarket failures, any aftermarket housing is going to have reinforcement to prevent deflection, which is the number 1 killer of gears. They're going to be few and far between but it all depends on the drive and the setup.
The Dana 50 has a 9" ring gear so that's slightly larger, but how much difference is there in the size of the pinion gear?

Would it be worth having the Jana 54 installed into my JK 44 housings?

I'm going to cryogenic treat my gears and bearings to get a 30-50% increase in strength. And I have OX lockers I will be running too. Rear is upgraded to 35 spline.
Bumpstick is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 07-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Jeepineer
 
JKred07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Comminecticut
Posts: 1,495
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
The Dana 50 has a 9" ring gear so that's slightly larger, but how much difference is there in the size of the pinion gear?

Would it be worth having the Jana 54 installed into my JK 44 housings?

I'm going to cryogenic treat my gears and bearings to get a 30-50% increase in strength. And I have OX lockers I will be running too. Rear is upgraded to 35 spline.
The JK44 pinion shaft is larger dimater = less deflection. The pinion head is comparable size wise, maybe a touch bigger, but the teeth themselves have more curavature and are slightly deeper, which provides more overall contact area. The JK pinion bearings are also higher load capacity.

IMO, it would not be worth the change in any way.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
JKred07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome