Any tips for ball joint and axle sleeve install? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Any tips for ball joint and axle sleeve install?

This week I'm about to install my nitro axle sleeve and some teraflex he ball joints and want it to go as smooth as possible whatever that means. So I was hoping someone who has done either of these could help me out and tell me some tips that helped them, I'm doing it at a buddy's shop and they have a bunch of tools but if there are any tools that helped the most for you if you'd let me know that would be great. I heard that I should get a bearing/ race driver set for the sleeves but I have never heard of it before or even know what it looks like. Also what kind of press did you use for your ball joints to get in and out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Granite Guru

The bearing race driver prevents you from mushrooming the out lip of the sleeves as you pound them in. I've used the Harbor Freight set on 3 JKs without issue.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-95853.html

Make sure you clean the inside of the axle tubes very well. Should almost look like a clean gun barrel. Grease the sleeves before driving them in. Putting the sleeves in the freezer is a waste of time. Now if you had them in an acetone bath with dry ice it might actually help, but you'd only have about 30 seconds to get them in before they expanded again. Use a block of wood or 2X4 with a dead blow hammer to drive them in most of the way. Once you're close to the end start using the bearing race driver. DO NOT drive the tube in past the edge of the axle tube. If you do you will push the inner axle seal out. Putting in new seals means pulling the carrier out.

Also used the Harbor Freight ball joint press. We have broke 2 of them, but just take them back for a free replacement.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-jo...les-60827.html
post #3 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 11:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

rent(for free) a ball joint press at Autozone or Advance or whatever auto parts joint you have and be sure to get the 4x4 adapter kit.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Granite Guru

Hit all bolts and ball joints with PB Blaster the night before. Be sure you have a 13mm 12pt socket for the hub bolts. Also search how to use a socket extension and your steering wheel to pop a frozen hub from the knuckle.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Awesome thanks for the help! Yeah I'll probably end up renting the press from auto zone, so I have to my the 4x4 conversion or do they give it to me when I rent it? And how exactly do you use the bearing race driver set?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I just looked on YouTube on how to use it thanks for all the help guys seems easy enough I live on the west coast side so I won't have to deal with rust issues as much I hope
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 07:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sleeves can be pretty easy or a fucking bitch that took two days to put in like mine. Even after freezing them for 24 hours and sanding the inside of my tubes smooth. Good luck!

Have a big sledge and a sacrificial race driver available!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 PM
JKowners Vendor

Make sure your ball joints are orientated so that the grease fittings are accessible
post #9 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Teraflex has a video on the bj install. Might be a little helpful.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 11:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135930

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode