need first hand reviews on aftermarket soft tops - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

need first hand reviews on aftermarket soft tops

My rear window zipper is ****ed, and no one want to fix that around town, so I'm down to replacing my entire top.. I don't have a bunch of money to throw on that right now, so the cheaper the better, BUT, I still want something that has a minimum of quality.

If the majority goes towards bestop with a replace-a-top sailcloth, then that's what I'm going to buy. I know I wouldn't be disapointed with this one, but its still a little too much for my current budget.

I have been searching for reviews for a couple brands, like Rugged ridge
Rugged Ridge 13737.01 Sailcloth Soft Top, Black Diamond, 10-15 Jeep 2-Door Wrangler

Rough country
Rough Country Replacement Soft Top for 10-15 Jeep JK Wrangler (2-door) | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

and smittybilt
Replacement Soft Tops - Smittybilt

I want a factory style soft top, no frameless, trektop like tops. From what I have read, some people liked their top and some didn't. As its based on personal experience, I want to ear from guys who had them on their jeep!

My criterias are simple, As quiet as possible, as tight as possible (anything in the acceptable range), and fukin tough zippers!!!

For the moment, I feel like the RR would be the best in the cheapest..

Another option I have is a 2008 factory top, to fit on my 2012. It comes complete with door surrounds, tinted windows, and seems to be in good shape. The only down side is that it is khaki, would look funny on my red jk.. but could have it for 300$.

2016 JKU
37" Nitto mud grapplers/ZX 5 wheels
Rubicon axles/4.88 gears/sleeves & gussets
Custom front bumper/XRC rear/Genright carrier
etc. etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't think a khaki top on a red jeep would look bad at all. But what you think is all that matters.

Kevin
post #3 of 21 Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Rock God

http://www.bestop.com/component/prod...product&id=137

This is what I had on my 2 door and it was bad ass quality

Oh and you can paint the hard top easy enough

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Wheeler

Did you try shoe repair places for the zipper? That's where i got mine done. cost like 15 bucks for 3 windows.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race” -Calvin Coolidge
post #5 of 21 Old 07-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

I have the Rough Country top, spice color like you posted a link to. I have had it on for a couple months now. No complaints so far. Its tight as a tiger. before buying it I did read somewhere on the interwebz that the windows are not as thick as the factory ones which I will agree with. Its nothing you would notice unless you have one of each in a hand.

post #6 of 21 Old 07-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Granite Guru

I would go with Rugged Ridge among your list, one guy here have them and never heard a complain. Or this Pavement Ends been on my cousin's '11 2-door since 2013 and still fits perfectly, you may want to check them:
http://4wheelonline.com/jeep/Pavemen...gler_JK.230819
post #7 of 21 Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have a bestop Sailcloth replace a top and i love it. Fitment is a bit loose bit its tightening up

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #8 of 21 Old 07-21-2015, 04:43 AM
Granite Guru

Save your money and save more, and get the Bestop. Good quality and well made.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-21-2015, 06:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for, especially with tops. Zippers, seams, windows, are pretty common failure points for cheaper tops after a year or so.

I think the khaki would look good with red.

Not a JK, but you get the idea

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-21-2015, 07:10 AM
Granite Guru

I helped a buddy pick up a factory soft top off of craigslist one time. It was in like new condition and he got a decent deal on it. You may watch craigslist.

If you are curious about trecktops: IMO I didn't like them one bit! I pre-ordered one at a 4wp show when they first debuted. I had issues with it leaking at the tail gate, and getting the door seals to seat right was a total PITA! I'm sure others had better luck, but not me!

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-21-2015, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm on my 2nd Bestop TrekTop and obviously I really like it. Only replaced it because hail put 3 holes in the first one. And that was the 2nd time it had been hit. The first time it got hit, the top was about 9 months old and withstood softball-sized hail! No damage to the top itself of the windows. I did have a zipper on the rear window finally break near the end of 2013, but just the pull itself. Could've replaced it myself I think; just never ended up putting the rear windows back on. I actually just put the replacement top on my Jeep in May of this year, so it went for over a year with just the Safari section of the top installed, even after being damaged by hail. Covered up the biggest of the holes with black Gorilla tape.

Maybe to save costs, don't look at the sailcloth top. Those are obviously more expensive. Get the regular Bestop replacement factory top and call it a day. To my knowlege, the OEM top is made by Bestop anyway. But I could be wrong.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-21-2015, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeshot View Post

Another option I have is a 2008 factory top, to fit on my 2012. It comes complete with door surrounds, tinted windows, and seems to be in good shape. The only down side is that it is khaki, would look funny on my red jk.. but could have it for 300$.

In not sure you'll like the way the 2008 soft tops work compared to your 2013 top. They snap in a groove along the top rails where the new ones have a cable system and just flips down and is held tight. That's a fairly poor explanation of the two but maybe you already know this or, maybe my weak explanation is enough for you.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #13 of 21 Old 07-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Rock God

Revisiting an older post
My 08 soft top is breathing it's last breath as we speak. The dealer replace the top in 2010 as it was leaking where it seats in the door surrounds. This one leaks sometimes, it can be a bitch to get it to seat right. I am looking at the Best top complete with new hardware and door surrounds. Quadratec has their version which has thicker Windows fora a little less. Anybody out there have any experience with either of these? I want something that will last and above all not leak. Don't mind saving up a little extra coin if need be
post #14 of 21 Old 07-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi46 View Post
I have the Rough Country top, spice color like you posted a link to. I have had it on for a couple months now. No complaints so far. Its tight as a tiger. before buying it I did read somewhere on the interwebz that the windows are not as thick as the factory ones which I will agree with. Its nothing you would notice unless you have one of each in a hand.

it's a little 'after-the-fact' ,but wanted to reply that this is a unique look/combo that I have only seen 1-2 JKs/JKUs running ( a dark body with a spice/beige top) & I think it looks great.

I would also add that, whomever is quoted from this as saying, " ya get what ya pay for with soft-tops" is spot-on 100% accurate. Can't skimp on 'em or you'll just get peeved and wind up buying the quality top after the elCheapy gets eaten after first season or two. just fwiw.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-24-2016 at 02:59 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

I have a bestop premium super top. It's awesome! Great quality and quite a bit quieter than the sailcloth a few of my buddies run. It's very easy to take off and put on.

'14 Anvil JKU Sportis all that's in my garage.
What would I know though...I'm just crawlin' at the mall.

#TheBlacksmithCrew
post #16 of 21 Old 07-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Rock God

just installed my Bestop NX this weekend after my factory one went kaput.

i am very happy with it, instructions are clear, everything fit the way its supposed to. i think its a great product for the price

nevermind, just read your WHOLE post lol. disregard

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #17 of 21 Old 07-25-2016, 12:12 AM
Rock God

I have the original Trektop on my '08. Been on there almost continuously for 5 years. Still ok apart from a bit of stitching on a pull tag coming out.

How does the NX seal around the top? The original came with some metal frames that blend in with the roll bars when using tube doors. Do the frames for the NX look too chunky without OEM doors on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I have the original Trektop on my '08. Been on there almost continuously for 5 years. Still ok apart from a bit of stitching on a pull tag coming out.

How does the NX seal around the top? The original came with some metal frames that blend in with the roll bars when using tube doors. Do the frames for the NX look too chunky without OEM doors on?
there is no frame for the NX. i dont know how it seals. to be honest, im not bothered much by bad seals since i have soft doors. the floor of my JK is puddled when it rains anyway

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #19 of 21 Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 AM
Granite Guru

Look on craigslist for a factory soft top. I just picked one up, almost like new, with surrounds and everything for only $150.

I had a Besttop, it was nice, but not as nice as the factory one.

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

|
|

2013 JK

post #20 of 21 Old 07-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Granite Guru

Bestop has been making the factory Wrangler tops, since 1986. They have come along way since then.

They come in 2 different materials, and with them, you know the quality is there. The sailcloth is the thinner material, where the black twill is thicker, and heavier. Its more similar to the material you would find in a higher end convertible car.

Free shipping on all orders over $70
post #21 of 21 Old 09-26-2016, 05:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
there is no frame for the NX. i dont know how it seals. to be honest, im not bothered much by bad seals since i have soft doors. the floor of my JK is puddled when it rains anyway
Fair enough. I was asking about frames as I use tube doors as soon as it warms up. (They went on last weekend.) I don't have the surrounds that came with the factory soft top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode