A reason to Fab a Cage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 07-03-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

A reason to Fab a Cage

Arrows indicate all that's holding the "B" pillar to your JK Unlimited... Nice! Oh and a bunch of "structural" spray foam... The tube goes nowhere - just cut off and buried inside the rocker panel...
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- "Master Your Terrain"

We offer a 10% discount to all active duty military personnel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Granite Guru

Very scary! Our jeep is headed to Motech next week for a 6.0 install, when it comes back I'll be contacting you guys about doing a cage, really like what you did with the removable b pillar on Rex and got to see Tigger first hand in Moab last fall, nice work for sure!
post #3 of 38 Old 07-04-2015, 12:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Yacht View Post
Arrows indicate all that's holding the "B" pillar to your JK Unlimited... Nice! Oh and a bunch of "structural" spray foam... The tube goes nowhere - just cut off and buried inside the rocker panel...
Hard to see what you were talking about. All I saw were boobs on the wall.

You wouldn't happen to have a wider angled pic of that would you? Is that B pillar cut down like on Rex? Could that dead ended tube-ish thing be replaced with a real tube? Might be able to get the cage a bit further from the drivers head that way.

There are no other welds on the outboard or foreword sides? That's just strange.

I love seeing pictures like this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Hard to see what you were talking about. All I saw were boobs on the wall.

You wouldn't happen to have a wider angled pic of that would you? Is that B pillar cut down like on Rex? Could that dead ended tube-ish thing be replaced with a real tube? Might be able to get the cage a bit further from the drivers head that way.

There are no other welds on the outboard or foreword sides? That's just strange.

I love seeing pictures like this.

Kevin
WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) I am going to take the cage down through the "B" pillar - as you mention, to get it farther outboard. The cage in Rex the added "B" pillar that is inboard does get in the way (of your head) now and again. There is a path once all that stock stuff is removed to go down through the tub and to the frame. Not for the faint of heart but doable

Yes the "B" sheetmetal is cut like Rex and Tigger. That works so nice on the trail. Both of those Jeeps would be destroyed without that mod. #Yellar get this mod this winter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- "Master Your Terrain"

We offer a 10% discount to all active duty military personnel!
post #5 of 38 Old 07-06-2015, 04:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Yacht View Post
WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) I am going to take the cage down through the "B" pillar - as you mention, to get it farther outboard. The cage in Rex the added "B" pillar that is inboard does get in the way (of your head) now and again. There is a path once all that stock stuff is removed to go down through the tub and to the frame. Not for the faint of heart but doable

Yes the "B" sheetmetal is cut like Rex and Tigger. That works so nice on the trail. Both of those Jeeps would be destroyed without that mod. #Yellar get this mod this winter...
Cool. Hopefully you'll post some pics of the finished product. I'd like to see how it comes out.

Kevin
post #6 of 38 Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Rock God

Hopefully this will prompt folks to do something about it.

When I first saw pictures of how Jeep just tacked together the B pillar cross member, we stopped wheeling until we could get a cage installed.

Its shit like this that pisses me off. They give people a false sense of security and cover it up with foam padding and plastic trim pieces.
post #7 of 38 Old 09-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Granite Guru

Any updates on this?
post #8 of 38 Old 09-24-2015, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

The stock JK cage actually does a good job at protecting during a roll over. If you do some research you will see how it is designed to collapse in the center of the windshield. things are toast like the windshield frame but unless you have a cage that is around and above the windshield where you can't put the top on the windshield is going to be toast.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #9 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyMtnJK View Post
Any updates on this?
^^^^X2
post #10 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
The stock JK cage actually does a good job at protecting during a roll over.
Good luck with that one ...

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #11 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 06:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
The stock JK cage actually does a good job at protecting during a roll over. If you do some research you will see how it is designed to collapse in the center of the windshield. things are toast like the windshield frame but unless you have a cage that is around and above the windshield where you can't put the top on the windshield is going to be toast.
This.

I'm willing to bet that Chrysler has done exponentially more FEA and actual crash testing on their products than any offroad part manufacturer.

Is the stock cage going to protect you if you roll it off the side of a mountain? Probably not, but then again there likely are no vehicles manufactured that would protect you in that situation.

Is the stock cage going to protect you if you flop it trying to crawl a curb at the mall or roll it when you swerve to miss Bambi? Yeah, that's what it was designed to do and that's the kind of action that most JK owners need protection against.

I think the key is to remember what the intended purpose of that cage is and to not bash it because it's not built like a cage for a 6 second drag car.

But whatever...

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #12 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

to be truly subjective , could you show the backside of that b-pillar photo as I'd like to see where the rear half appears to connect into the tube of the pillar. if you have an image of that, that-is.....

post #13 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWBOY View Post
Good luck with that one ...
There is a site called Copart that sells crashed vehicles, take some time and search for JK's that are for sale. Lots of roll overs there and you will see how the cage and window frame protect the occupants. I looked at those as well as lots of videos of jeeps rolling over when I built my cage.

I am not saying it is a super cage that is going to protect everyone in every situation but the JK design is much stronger then what previous jeeps had and people sometimes make too big of a deal about the cage.

You also need to realize in the op that all that metal including the body panels are designed to work as one pillar and that have gauge angle as well as all the bends and boxed metal create a lot of strength in that B pillar. That tube is not just all that protects the jeep. Note the B pillar is not connected to the frame either, it is integrated into the body. If you look at the frame support for the windshield it is crazy strong with all the bends and size of the panels that make it up. Much stronger then a 2" dom tube

Some build info here:

Last edited by thedirtman; 09-25-2015 at 07:35 AM.
post #14 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Rock God

No need for me to do any research. Just waitin' for Bob to get my cage installed. I refuse to trust my life to the stock unit. To each his own ...

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #15 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
There is a site called Copart that sells crashed vehicles, take some time and search for JK's that are for sale. Lots of roll overs there and you will see how the cage and window frame protect the occupants. I looked at those as well as lots of videos of jeeps rolling over when I built my cage.
Just spent a few perusing that site. Your right, A-pillars do seem to do much better than I would have thought. Not a lot of movement in the B either. Leaves you with an undrivable mess, where as a proper cage might be a drivable mess...........but you'd be alive.

Shows there could be some big gains in strength by tying in a cage A-pillar into the factory A-pillar with some dimple died plate. Doing a B-pillar like Bob showed in the first post, tying a proper tube back into the sheetmetal of the B would be a big plus.

Thanks for that site.

Kevin
post #16 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 10:47 AM
JKO Addict!

For more reference, mine after a hard roll. I had not tied the A pillar in yet.
Attached Images

Some build info here:

post #17 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Granite Guru

all i saw was the picture hanging up in the background ...

2013 JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|
post #18 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Rock God

Let's not forget that the stock cage was never designed to protect a driver that rolls off a trail and smashes into a rock at the bottom of a ravine. It's required to have that cage to provide rollover protection in an accident on the street, since we have the luxury of a removable hardtop and a softtop. I dont know about you guys, but my jeep didnt come with tons and coilovers.

Do you really expect a full DOM cage in a vehicle that is designed to go get groceries? You cant fault chrysler, I feel like a lot of posts in this thread are. A proper cage is just another necessary part of the build process.

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
post #19 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Rock God

Do you really expect a full DOM cage in a vehicle that is designed to go get groceries? You cant fault chrysler, I feel like a lot of posts in this thread are. A proper cage is just another necessary part of the build process.[/QUOTE]

Really!!!

No I don't expect a DOM cage to be installed from the factory.

But Chrysler is being intentionally deceptive by covering up their shitty work with nylon covers and foam to give buyers a false sense of security. If Chrysler at least made a half ass effort to make what was there stronger instead of just trying to save money by putting the very least amount of effort/work into it that they can get away with.

People are dying when these cages are folding in on themselves and its not only when they are offroading.
post #20 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

geeezuuus....I kinda wish I hadn't seen that Copart site. Kinda stomach-turning. An awful lot of 'burnt' JKs . surprisingly, even the worst roll-overs were seemingly still showing the front seats as somewhat survivable but moist of that sh*t is NOT gonna buff out. yeah, now I am moving a real cage up on my list...

post #21 of 38 Old 09-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descent View Post

Really!!!

No I don't expect a DOM cage to be installed from the factory.

But Chrysler is being intentionally deceptive by covering up their shitty work with nylon covers and foam to give buyers a false sense of security. If Chrysler at least made a half ass effort to make what was there stronger instead of just trying to save money by putting the very least amount of effort/work into it that they can get away with.

People are dying when these cages are folding in on themselves and its not only when they are offroading.
Of course. People are also dying when a volvo flips. Or a Kia flips. Crash test ratings dont include an offroad obstacle course. They pass the crash test ratings and sell the vehicle.

So basically I am arguing for your point, except I dont expect an auto manufacturer to cater to hardcore offroaders, which may make up 1% of jeep sales. Be realistic.

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
post #22 of 38 Old 09-26-2015, 12:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

[/QUOTE]But Chrysler is being intentionally deceptive by covering up their shitty work with nylon covers and foam to give buyers a false sense of security. If Chrysler at least made a half ass effort to make what was there stronger instead of just trying to save money by putting the very least amount of effort/work into it that they can get away with. [/QUOTE]

Chrysler isn't being deceptive. They're doing the exact same thing as every other auto manufacturer...........What is required by law. Nothing more, nothing less. Roll over tests are part of that. Controlled deformation of the structure reduces the G load a person will see.

But, what they design/test to, isn't what we would see rolling down a bolder laden hill and landing on our lid in a creek bed.

Kevin
post #23 of 38 Old 09-26-2015, 12:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
geeezuuus....I kinda wish I hadn't seen that Copart site. Kinda stomach-turning. An awful lot of 'burnt' JKs . surprisingly, even the worst roll-overs were seemingly still showing the front seats as somewhat survivable but moist of that sh*t is NOT gonna buff out. yeah, now I am moving a real cage up on my list...
I got the same feeling checking out that site. Makes you think everyone wreaks their Jeep.

Kevin
post #24 of 38 Old 09-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
This.
Is the stock cage going to protect you if you roll it off the side of a mountain? Probably not, but then again there likely are no vehicles manufactured that would protect you in that situation.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #25 of 38 Old 09-26-2015, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^^^Yep. That's a real cage.^^^^^

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode