Prorock44 built by Northridge - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 07-03-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Prorock44 built by Northridge

i made a post a while ago about purchasing a prorock44 that was prebuilt by a vendor. and within a few months and several thousand miles later my ARB seals started leaking. fast forward, the problem ended being that who ever did the gears on the axle gave it almost ZERO preload. we ended up having to add over .030 of shims to each side.

so, new problem now that i just noticed and was probably there shortly after installing the axle. the 1310 yoke that the axle came with has a lot of side to side play (no play in and out) . either it was adjusted poorly or the bearing is now shot. maybe even both. my first problem i solved myself and had to pay out of pocket, even for the seals since ARB and the vendor refused to give me new seals until i proved it was leaking. (seals are less than $10 for both). my first problem i tried to give the vendor that built the axle the benefit of the doubt and never even told anyone who built it. but im going to have to say now that the axle came from Northridge and only has about 20k on it. sorry, Northridge, but for spending almost $6k on an axle i would hope the gears would be done properly and with more care.

on a side note, can someone tell me if the concentional PR44 used shims or crush sleeves on the pinion. and i also need the part number for the pinion bearing assuming its not the same as the JK44 pinion bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 07-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Wheeler

I'm sure you call David at Northridge this time, didn't you? Did they not offer to help? I understand your frustration with your experience. I spent similar amount of money with Northridge over the past few months and had some issues with the parts from the vendors, but NOT Northridge and David has bent over backward to make it right for me. Sorry for your experiences.

2014 JKUR Anvil--Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor with Synergy TieRod/High Steer Flip Drag Link. 35" BFG KO2
2006 TJ Rubi Solar Yellow---Retired
post #3 of 40 Old 07-03-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay73 View Post
I'm sure you call David at Northridge this time, didn't you? Did they not offer to help? I understand your frustration with your experience. I spent similar amount of money with Northridge over the past few months and had some issues with the parts from the vendors, but NOT Northridge and David has bent over backward to make it right for me. Sorry for your experiences.

i will admit i did not speak to anyone yet. i tried calling but im sure everyone is already by the lake drinking beer (not their fault, do enjoy). my quam isnt whether or not they are going to help me, but the fact that this axle needs so many loose ends to be fixed on a jk that doesnt get wheeled much or even driven much. best they can do to help me right now is to get me a new crush sleeve (or shim) and new pinion bearing. i still need to pay someone to possible remove the diff and basically regear except for the actual gears

Last edited by chknkatsu; 07-03-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 07-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Wheeler

Yeah, I understand your point and believe I would feel the same way. I would just email them or call them and talk it out to come to a resolution as quickly as possible. They are always VERY helpful when I have needed them.

Best of luck!

2014 JKUR Anvil--Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor with Synergy TieRod/High Steer Flip Drag Link. 35" BFG KO2
2006 TJ Rubi Solar Yellow---Retired
post #5 of 40 Old 07-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

I don't understand why when somebody has an issue with a product, they don't call the "vendor" and talk to someone about it prior to posting it here....You would be surprised with how easy it can be to resolve these issues with a simple phone call.

As unfortunate as it might be that you had a problem, these things do happen on occasion. Do yourself a favor and give the vendor an opportunity to offer some assistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 40 Old 07-03-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
I don't understand why when somebody has an issue with a product, they don't call the "vendor" and talk to someone about it prior to posting it here....You would be surprised with how easy it can be to resolve these issues with a simple phone call.

As unfortunate as it might be that you had a problem, these things do happen on occasion. Do yourself a favor and give the vendor an opportunity to offer some assistance.
i did with my original problem and never got any help.
post #7 of 40 Old 07-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Rock God

I've bought lots of stuff from NR and a couple of times I had an issue w/ something - had some PSC parts that were jacked up and I had new ones at my door the next day, and I also had a tone ring come off a chromoly axle I bought from them, and same thing - 2 days and all new stuff at my door. Shit happens, but they've always done right by me when I called them.
post #8 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I've bought lots of stuff from NR and a couple of times I had an issue w/ something - had some PSC parts that were jacked up and I had new ones at my door the next day, and I also had a tone ring come off a chromoly axle I bought from them, and same thing - 2 days and all new stuff at my door. Shit happens, but they've always done right by me when I called them.
my issue differs from yours as mine is install error not product defects. i paid out of pocket to fix my first problem (parts + labor) and they wouldnt even send me 2 new seals (neither would ARB). unless they are going to send a mechanic over to NYC or something then there isnt much they can do at this point. going to have to pull the carrier, pull the pinion press in a new bearing and install a new crush sleeve (not going to be a cheap job).
post #9 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post
my issue differs from yours as mine is install error not product defects. i paid out of pocket to fix my first problem (parts + labor) and they wouldnt even send me 2 new seals (neither would ARB). unless they are going to send a mechanic over to NYC or something then there isnt much they can do at this point. going to have to pull the carrier, pull the pinion press in a new bearing and install a new crush sleeve (not going to be a cheap job).
You can use a crush sleeve eliminator instead. I don't know what bearing they use. That sucks, there's no shortcuts on setting up gears. I'm glad you caught it before you broke some teeth off the R&P.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #10 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post

I think the fact that there was a problem with a PR44 built by them is good information to know, regardless of how they do or don't stand behind it. A failure on the highway or the trail will often leave you stranded. This is a good thread with valuable information. Setting up gears is something you just have to do right the first time. Period.
post #11 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
I think the fact that there was a problem with a PR44 built by them is good information to know, regardless of how they do or don't stand behind it. A failure on the highway or the trail will often leave you stranded. This is a good thread with valuable information. Setting up gears is something you just have to do right the first time. Period.
x2 sometimes just better off buying local and spending a few dollars more so you have someone to take it back to.
post #12 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Rock God

Garage

This is why I'm just going to have a local place assemble my 44. Right now idk what housing I'm going with. I wheel with the guys from the shop on occasion so my parts selection will be open to there suggestions.
post #13 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Rock God

I've had no issues with my Northridge built PR44 that I installed in May 2010. The rear Rubicon axle with ARB locker and 5.13 Supperior gears was a differant story. Chipped ring gear teeth in the fall of 2012, very disappointing and another
$1000. Maybe I should have put a PR60 in the back.
post #14 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
Quote:
You can use a crush sleeve eliminator instead. I don't know what bearing they use. That sucks, there's no shortcuts on setting up gears. I'm glad you caught it before you broke some teeth off the R&P.
the point isnt using a crush sleeve or not. no matter what they used, if done properly it shouldnt have play after 20k miles
post #15 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Granite Guru

I appreciate you calling us first and giving us a chance to actually figure out what the issue is.

Just a little background. We have been building and shipping axles for the last 15 years. We have approx 2500 axles that we built and shipped in vehicles not to mention the couple thousand we have built in house for local customers.

A pro rock for instance is built with many different components , ring and pinion , locker, bearings, seals and a yoke. We do out best to ensure that each and every component is perfect when we install. But for example when it comes to something like a seal nobody ever knows how long it will last could be 10 miles could be
100,000 miles

If a ring and pinion is not set up correctly a few things will happen .

1. It will usually make noise
2. It won't last long at all. Usually less than 100 miles and something will fail.

I would really like to find out what your issue is so I can determine what we can do for you. 20,000 miles is actually a lot of miles on an axle to have a ring and pinion not set up properly and not have failure or noise.

If the pinion doesn't have in and out movement but it has left and right my first thought is the pinion yoke tolerance may be more than normal. If the bearing preload was to loose you would see in and out movement and noise. If it was to tight it would create noise and fail much earlier than 20,000 miles.

We are here to help as best we can but we have always found that the customer must be willing to help us figure out what the problem is and work with us for a solution.

Have a happy fourth!
David Johnson
post #16 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge4x4 View Post
I appreciate you calling us first and giving us a chance to actually figure out what the issue is.

Just a little background. We have been building and shipping axles for the last 15 years. We have approx 2500 axles that we built and shipped in vehicles not to mention the couple thousand we have built in house for local customers.

A pro rock for instance is built with many different components , ring and pinion , locker, bearings, seals and a yoke. We do out best to ensure that each and every component is perfect when we install. But for example when it comes to something like a seal nobody ever knows how long it will last could be 10 miles could be
100,000 miles

2. It won't last long at all. Usually less than 100 miles and something will fail.

I would really like to find out what your issue is so I can determine what we can do for you. 20,000 miles is actually a lot of miles on an axle to have a ring and pinion not set up properly and not have failure or noise.

If the pinion doesn't have in and out movement but it has left and right my first thought is the pinion yoke tolerance may be more than normal. If the bearing preload was to loose you would see in and out movement and noise. If it was to tight it would create noise and fail much earlier than 20,000 miles.

We are here to help as best we can but we have always found that the customer must be willing to help us figure out what the problem is and work with us for a solution.

Have a happy fourth!
David Johnson

when i wiggle the yoke, it does not move separately from the pinion and nuts. it seems like the whole thing is moving together as a unit so it doesnt seem like the issue is the yoke tolerance. please do let me know what you want to do in order to fix this issue.

also. please let me know the part numbers for the prorock. does it use the same parts as a jk 44?

Last edited by chknkatsu; 07-04-2015 at 10:47 AM.
post #17 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Granite Guru

I need much more information before I can tell you what the fix is. Take a video of what you a describing. Might as well post it on the forum. From what it sounds like you describing backlash but let's see a video.
post #18 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Granite Guru

You don't drive your Jeep a lot, but yet you racked up 20 000 miles on the axle?? Wow, we drove our Jeep a lot and just managed to do 12 000 a year, and btw, ours is a daily driver too as well as a trail rig.
post #19 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
You don't drive your Jeep a lot, but yet you racked up 20 000 miles on the axle?? Wow, we drove our Jeep a lot and just managed to do 12 000 a year, and btw, ours is a daily driver too as well as a trail rig.
ive had the axle for almost 4 years. thats 20k in 4 years
post #20 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 02:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge4x4 View Post

100,000 miles

Have a happy fourth!
David Johnson
Umm.... David Johnson and Northridge are awesome! You guys have helped me dislodge a few sand granules before!
post #21 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
So after 4 years it is worn out and now you blame them????
post #22 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

5k miles per year, that's about what I do and I just drive it to the trail, OffRoad, and occasionally around town when I'm missing my wheeling time. For me and many others of us with Jeeps our milage is considered severer driving, which means maintainance schedule is accelerated. 22k miles of severe use and my carrier bearings up front are shot. But I accept that I use it the way I do and the repair costs associated with it... $1500 in the last 6 months.
post #23 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
Quote:
So after 4 years it is worn out and now you blame them????
well i cant blame magic for the pinion loosening up from the vehicle sitting there. 4 years or 10 years, its 20k miles. and the carrier having zero preload? who is to blame? i know the carrier didnt LOSE the preload. the carrier literally fell out of the axle when we took the caps off. so yes i am blaming them considering that i already had a problem before hand. the person that didnt shim the carrier correctly probably didnt torque the pinion nut down enough to get proper preload. if i didnt have my original problem then i wouldnt blame them.
post #24 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

that makes no sense . You've put 22k on the axle and assembly , man. Without the shims or with the entire carrier just sitting together within the housing diff you wouldn't have made it a thousand miles . You lost the right to have northridge fix that back about 20k miles ago, sorry. Even if it were their blame , how do you propose to prove this was an installation incorrectly performed after chalking up that amount of on/off road usage outta it ? I hope you get the issue fixed but this is on you , mate ....

post #25 of 40 Old 07-04-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
that makes no sense . You've put 22k on the axle and assembly , man. Without the shims or with the entire carrier just sitting together within the housing diff you wouldn't have made it a thousand miles . You lost the right to have northridge fix that back about 20k miles ago, sorry. Even if it were their blame , how do you propose to prove this was an installation incorrectly performed after chalking up that amount of on/off road usage outta it ? I hope you get the issue fixed but this is on you , mate ....
my ARB started leaking within the first year. but noy enough to alarm me. so i know the problem was there. the lack of preload caused the seals to wear prematurely. when we had the diff open and the ARB on when we would pry the carrier one way it would leak and stop leaking the other way. there clearly wasnt enough preload. and how would i know this issue when i first got the axle.

when i purchased it i expected an axle that was ready to go. thats why people purchase these axles built. if i bought a built axle and had to open it up to reshim and check everything, i would have just bought a blank housing, am i wrong? saying its my fault for not picking up the issue when the axle was still on the pallet is ridiculous. its like buying a brand new car that starts burning oil at 10k and saying the problem should have been noted from day one. sorry, but i purchased it from northridge for the purpose of not having to gear it myself.

thousands of jeeps have stock and aftermarket axles that are built properly and dont lose preload on the carrier or pinion. unless you're somehow telling me that reshimming the carrier and replacing the pinion crush sleeve is a 20k maintenance requirement, which obviously isnt the case.

there are probably guys here running prorock44s with the same components as mine and running larger tires than i am and wheel more than i do who dont have their ARB leak and pinion bouncing around at a higher mileage than mine

Last edited by chknkatsu; 07-04-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode