Currie vs Dynatrack vs G2 vs Terraflex Front Axle? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-30-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Currie vs Dynatrack vs G2 vs Terraflex Front Axle?

Am considering replacing my stock JKUR Rubicon D-44 front axle with one of the above aftermarket axle housings for the added "C" strenght, tube strength and added caster (4" lift). I plan to keep the stock E-locker setup and will re-gear when I change out the axle.

The G2 is the least expensive, the Currie next and the Terraflex the most, but what are the little things that will make a difference in the long run? I would like to stay with parts that are readilly available, i.e. seals, diff covers, etc.

What else should I be considering and are there personal experiences with each? I am running Toyo 35's now, with consideration of upgrading to 37's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Granite Guru

I don't like the appearance of the G2 axles. They just look goofy. There are very few out there in actual use so no real feedback available. I have read too many bad threads on Currie's quality and customer service problems. Google will turn up issues on pretty much every off road forum. Couple local guys run the Tera30 and love it. Sure its not a D44, but can take more abuse than they deserve. If the Tera30 can handle a lot of abuse, the Tera44R would even be better. Teraflex is a very good option. Of course the old standby is Dynatrac. There are a lot of Pro Rock axles out there in use and very few issues reported. If an issue gets reported, Dynatrac takes care of it.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Wheeler

I can only comment on the Dynatrac Pro Rock 44. It's stout as hell and very well built. The high clearance diff is nice too!

2014 Billet Silver JKUR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 AM
Wheeler

Go for Dynatrac Pro Rock 44.

JK 2010 mountain edition, 6 speed manual, Rubicon Swap, 33" cooper STT tires, AEV 2,5" lift, Teraflex quick disconnects, ARTEC Armor kit (truss, C-Gussets, LCA skids...)
post #5 of 23 Old 07-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Rock God

Been running the PR 60/80's for a year now. Have only had 1 issue come up with the rear ARB.

Dynatrac stood behind the warranty and made it right, even when ARB wasnt.

Great customer service and bullet proof axles. Happy that I went the direction I did. But if i was to do it again, I would be looking at the Mopar's as well
post #6 of 23 Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross

Im in a similar boat

Throw in the spicer ulimate dana 60s as well to that list (will mention why in a moment) , i know marcus at river city can get them.

Theyre the cheapest option it looks like for what they are , but thats for 60's not 44s like your looking at.

A built front dynatrac 44 costs around 5k , same with teraflex , for 7 you can get a spicer dana 60 thats locking hub, larger brakes, and additional gear change, but it changes your bolt pattern as well.

Just food for thought.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Wheeler

Check out Marcus' build tread. Search for "Tink" and you should be able to find it. He can get you anything you need as well from RiverCityOffroad.com

2014 JKUR Anvil--Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor with Synergy TieRod/High Steer Flip Drag Link. 35" BFG KO2
2006 TJ Rubi Solar Yellow---Retired
post #8 of 23 Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Granite Guru

I'm in a club with several of these axles and brands. Here's what I've observed:

Currie 60 had a bad unit bearing after 3000 miles, currie wouldn't replace it under warranty. When ordering a replacement, it took 6 weeks for it to arrive.

One club member replaced his Currie 60s for Dyantrac 60 and 80.

G2 front 44 was leaking through the axle haousing at the center section. It took 2 shops and several visits to be able to locate the leak and eventually, 4 wheel parts stood behind the product and replaced the housing.

Dynatrac hasn't had any problems that I am aware of, 60 front and 80 rear.

Mopars 60s have been effortless as well.

No tera axles in the group.

Professional Web Wheeler
post #9 of 23 Old 08-15-2015, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got a Tera44 and a couple of guys have the Tera30's, one with a ProRock 44 and one with a G244. Everyone including myself are please with what they have.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Rock God

you will get a lot of Dynatrac recommendations simply because they've been around longer and have more axles out there...which is what i have, and i love it. but I'm sure teraflex has great housings as well, ive never heard anything bad about them.

I dont know anything about Currie except for bad customer service, but no idea about the actual product.

...dont do G2

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #11 of 23 Old 08-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've had a Tera 44 for a few years now and it has been great!

Timmay

[
post #12 of 23 Old 08-16-2015, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Housing upgrades are not worth the money unless you can swap everything yourself including the gears. Buying them locked is $5k+ and you still have the shitty unit bearings, no lock out hubs and factory brakes. You can add the spyntech hubs and upgrade the brakes but that would run you $2500 throwing you into some pretty nice dana 60 axles.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #13 of 23 Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Housing upgrades are not worth the money unless you can swap everything yourself including the gears.
And that is exactly what is keeping me on the fence. My problem is that even as well seasoned ex-tech, I don't want to fuss with differentials. Never had to do diffs very often when I did this professionally and even then it was common to just order the assy, especially if under warranty. I'd have no problem busting out the transmission or even the transfer case. have been into plenty of those.

Many well seasoned techs that I have worked with or met over the years avoid diff work.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-16-2015, 11:55 AM
TJT
Rock God

I upgraded to the Dynatrac ProRock 44 (Rubicon internals) about 6 months ago. It's a quality unit and I've been extremely happy with it. However, if I could go back and do it again I would have gone with a full-width Pro Rock 60 in anticipation for an axle-swap for the rear down the road.

It's just my thinking, but when all was said and done I'm just over $5500 into this ProRock 44 swap.

My Costs from the swap:
+ProRock 44 Housing
+PolyPerformance/Synergy TrackBar Mount
+Old Trackbar wouldn't fit, had Clayton OffRoad make a custom one
+Dynatrac Pro Steer Ball Joints
+New Gears (5.38)
+Gears set-up kit/bearings
+Labor to set-up gears, uninstall and reinstall axle to my Jeep
- Sold my old Pro Steer Ball Joints ($50)
- Sold the Poison Spyder Diff Cover ($40)
. Old Axle was of no value (broken)

Last edited by TJT; 08-16-2015 at 11:57 AM.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I am saving but don't know wtf axles it is for yet. so much $ so many choices ; TBH , having to go with 8 lug = new wheels / tires/ etc makes it appealing to get housings but then you're always gonna wish you'd upgraded to the Mopar60s or TF 60s and I do want spin-locking hubs.....*sigh*......

post #16 of 23 Old 08-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Wheeler

Im running a d30 up front and wheel in mud or sand dunes at least once a week. I ponder this op question quite a bit like every saturday.. Axels and engine swap are really the only upgrades big ticket items I have not done yet.
When it does go, Im going dyna or Currie. Both have been around the block and the tech help at both companies is there . My last jeep had curries and I wheel with a couple guys running PR60 setups. I love the slander above bashing customer service yet admitting has never used their products or their customer service. Over 50 years in the offloading business, you would think if they were that bad no real teams would use them. Have you ever been to an event and not seen currie/dyna goodies on pretty much every jeep? On most applications unit bearings are the weakest link once you have a engine swap.
The transfer to the housing/person doing your gears, ultimately will really make the biggest difference on a housing swap IMO. I would suggest finding the best driveline guy in your area and talk to him about brand preference , if he's done a bunch of curries/ dynas and never seen a G2/terafles do you wanna be the guinnie pig?

2011 Jk 2 door 6 speed. 5.13 gears, 1350 driveshafts, cooper sst+ 35s, warn 9.5, various armor, 1/4 pounder bumper, 12 inch King coil overs, CB, still running the dana 30 sleeved and gusseted up front. Someday wanna go with 1 ton axels but for now I love my JK.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Rock God

Thank you to everyone who own Dynatrac axles and shared their experiences and feedback on this thread. The opinions of owners are very, very important. If you’re looking for a bolt-in upgrade from a stock Dana 44, you won’t find a better built, higher-quality axle with more features than our made-in-the-USA ProRock 44. In addition to unbeatable strength you get our patented ProRock design that gives the ProRock 44 more ground clearance than a stock Dana 30. We’d also like to offer a bit different opinion to that of thedirtman. Most people are doing a gear change when they upgrade axle housings, which is about half of the labor of changing to our housing and moving your locker over. Our ProRock 44 housings come with brand new suspension bushings and new balljoints already installed, saving installation time. At the end of the day, the ProRock 44 is a great, affordable upgrade that fits the needs of many JK owners. Having a larger and heavier Dana 60 up front isn’t needed by everyone. But for those who want to explore a broad range of the axle upgrades available, including new MOPAR Dana 60 which are an authorized dealer for, we invite you to read this article:

http://www.dynatrac.com/blog/compari...j-xj-cherokee/

There are pros and cons to each option, and what looks really inexpensive at first may end up costing more by the time you’re done installing it, or it may have compromises that make your off-roading or daily-driving experiences less that desirable.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Have you guys ever thought of offering a lock out hub for your pro rock 44?

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #19 of 23 Old 08-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Wheeler

I have worked with Dynatrac and Tera...I think either one would be an excellent choice. You can make that front 44 pretty stout with any of the various reinforcements out there, new balljoints, etc. I haven't seen many(1 comes to mind) failures of the front rubi housing (not talking about gears or shafts) when it was beefed up. Just food for thought.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Have you guys ever thought of offering a lock out hub for your pro rock 44?
Yes please.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Umm I thought the Mopar 60 was not a unit bearing axle?

post #22 of 23 Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Super Duty D60 FTW. I may just know a guy who will have a few available for sale ready to bolt in.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Umm I thought the Mopar 60 was not a unit bearing axle?
Yeah definitely a misprint there. Full spindles and bearings on the new Mopar axles.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode