609 axles - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
609 axles

Just a few years ago the big thing was to build a D60/9" hybrid axle or order a custom one. Why has this disappeared. I don't see our heart about these axles any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 AM
JKO Addict!

It still is a big thing. One of the draw backs is that if you want to go high pinion, you are essentially stuck with one company - True Hi9.

You could build a 6010 but then you are limited to 5.40 gears.

Reason its not huge among the JK crowd in my opinion is because no company is building/advertising these axles as a ready to go option. Curries sort of does but its actually an 8.8.

Building them turns out to be pretty costly if you do it right...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
It still is a big thing. One of the draw backs is that if you want to go high pinion, you are essentially stuck with one company - True Hi9.

Reason its not huge among the JK crowd in my opinion is because no company is building/advertising these axles as a ready to go option. Curries sort of does but its actually an 8.8.

Yep, this is basically it. I was determined to run 9s front and rear and then the realities set in. By the time you build the axles to work for a JK, you are easily over $10k. The housings are cheap, but one call to Solid Axle and then you are talking real $$$.

As noted, the 9" low pinion sits really low. So, most want a high pinion and then it is serious money for the Hi9. I did a lot of research on the Hi9. Everything I read told me it is really a trail only type setup. Not that it couldn't be used on the street, but the incidence of leaks, etc., was pretty high. And I'm never comfortable when you have to get a major part that is proprietary to a single small company. Reminds me of those portal axles that people loved and then the company was gone and there are no parts for them.

The Currie units are an 8.8 and I wouldn't run over a 35" tire. Even that might be pushing it on a heavy JKU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

JRat makes a Sixty9 D60 drop out third member (like a Ford 9"). It can be ran as a HP or LP just by flipping the pinion snout. Carl Jantz can set up the Jana76 kit to run D70 gears in the JRAT. That gets you a 10.5" ring gear. RuffStuff and I believe a couple others make fabricated housings for the JRat drop out.

This is the path I've taken. JRay Drop outs (HP front, LP rear), D70 gears, 40 spline ARB's, RuffStuff housings, Crane D60 C's and knuckles, Solid 40 spline spindles and Solid 40 spline hubs. I'll be 40 spline from the ARB's to the drive slugs. Not a cheap route, but I've been collecting the parts and never had to take a big hit all at once.

Kevin
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 01:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
JRat makes a Sixty9 D60 drop out third member (like a Ford 9"). It can be ran as a HP or LP just by flipping the pinion snout. Carl Jantz can set up the Jana76 kit to run D70 gears in the JRAT. That gets you a 10.5" ring gear. RuffStuff and I believe a couple others make fabricated housings for the JRat drop out.

This is the path I've taken. JRay Drop outs (HP front, LP rear), D70 gears, 40 spline ARB's, RuffStuff housings, Crane D60 C's and knuckles, Solid 40 spline spindles and Solid 40 spline hubs. I'll be 40 spline from the ARB's to the drive slugs. Not a cheap route, but I've been collecting the parts and never had to take a big hit all at once.

Kevin
What size tire are you building for - 54" ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Gt1guy- how much does it look like they are coming out to?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
What size tire are you building for - 54" ?
42"-43". Plus a healthy LS.

Kevin
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 11:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
Gt1guy- how much does it look like they are coming out to?
Front 10k. Includes the labor to have Carl set up the gears and shot peen, REM polish and cryo them. Includes shock/bypass mounts and link brackets. Doesn't include whatever a set of custom length RCV 300m shafts will run. Prob 2k. No Brakes.

Rear 8k. Includes the same labor, mounts and brackets. No 300m shafts. No brakes.

I'm figuring the brakes will run 5k. That's Wilwood AERO6 calipers, 14"&13" rotors, Dookey custom Hats and caliper mounts, porp valve, line lock for the rear (that's my emergency brake) and a 1-5/16" Vanco hydroboost.

Not exactly cheap. But compared to even decked out crate axles, I'm happy with the path I chose.

The JRat Sixty9 drop outs were $1550.00 ea. The Hi9 stuff is 2k if I remember right.

Kevin
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Pretty much exactly. For the cost to build a 609 axle that will hold up to JK weight you can be in some basically bolt in 1 ton axles. Especially now that Mopar has entered the game.

fwiw If I had the funds and didn't mind running 5.40 gears, that Gearworks 10" is the cat's ass. If Tim Cameron isn't breaking them you know they are stout.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks guys.

I don't have a Unlimited just a regular 2dr JK. Right now it's an eBay special front bumper with winch, ORF rear bumper, steel tube fenders, and stock skids. I'm hoping to switch to aluminum to get and keep weight down. The next step in my build is Long Arms and 36" Iroks with 4.88s (currently short arms, and gears and shafts awaiting install).

My end goal will be 40x16 Swamper LTB or 41x14.50 Iroks with 5.38s and upgraded axles. This end build won't start for another 2-3yrs. (Maybe down the road an L92 swap, 6.2 LS from an escalade). But I'm already thinking ahead so I can make a plan and slowly gather parts.

Looks like for me just a over the counter aftermarket and set up would be best
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2015, 04:03 PM
JKowners Vendor

Easy....PR60 and 80...

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode