bent front LCA bracket + repercussions = seeking assistance - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Question can slight bend cause phasing of Wood's DS ?

i did this - simultaneously bending shock and the front pssgr mount bracket for lower CA on a rock.

it isnt too bent...4 degrees from straight...

cant crawl until fixed.so, instead I'd stay on flat Earth ; it'd be easier on jeep.
listen at last 30 seconds ....(boring video....wouldnt post except it has the sound at 2:40min into it)

https://youtu.be/Y-I-6rzCVoc

can a bent lower CA mount on axle be enough to throw a Woods front 1310 out of phase during high speed driving?
it is angry sparrows but all is maintained greased correctly every 6000 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-01-2015 at 03:46 AM. Reason: too wordy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-30-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

anybody?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-01-2015 at 03:22 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2015, 01:12 AM
Granite Guru

I doubt its because of your lca bracket, it doesn't look that far off and it happened around a corner. I'd check your track bar, other than that idk how it would be your lca brackets. thats a good case for getting lca skids though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-04-2015, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjk View Post
I doubt its because of your lca bracket, it doesn't look that far off and it happened around a corner. I'd check your track bar, other than that idk how it would be your lca brackets. thats a good case for getting lca skids though!
I should have mentioned that the arm had been bent for a while. It was like that before I drove in the vid. I think you got that part..it is a lot of info
anyway
artec full 1/4" LCA front axle brackets arrive via brown Santa today. The things are startlingly stout. I was asking if the drive shaft could have made that noise and you were right if you were saying that couldn't have happened as a consequence of the arm being only 4 degrees off. Even tho I have a suitable adapter to grease the center ball on the dual cardan front Woods shaft I guess it needs it more frequently and a higher temp grease if I am gonna run it like in the video. I also got some Synergy moly hi temp super grease and made sure to grease the joints and my ball-joints and links while under there. The noise hasn't returned and I will attribute it to heat and a less than adequate greasing schedule for the front shaft. I hope. It was dirty as heck when I purged the front UJoint of it so we shall see. I really appreciate the input. Seemed like no one had any idea or suggestion.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-04-2015 at 01:39 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-04-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

trackbars an aftermarket adjustable and is good /hole is ok as well. I may grab a 9/16th bolt for it just to be sure.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2015, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Honestly that sounds more like a rock got stuck between a rotor and the caliper and/or pad. Constant almost ringing sound. You said it hasn't done it again?

Kevin
post #7 of 10 Old 07-05-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Honestly that sounds more like a rock got stuck between a rotor and the caliper and/or pad. Constant almost ringing sound. You said it hasn't done it again?

Kevin
that was my first thought , too , Kevin. I ( end of video I trimmed the part where I got out left cam on) got out thinking ," great , clump of dirt or gravel between backing plate for brake or rock wedged in the wheel assembly or brake pad ..."

I spent a half hour with the hi lift ( �� ) raised all four corners and rotated each ...when I got to the front and ( it wasn't locked ; recall this was all 2wd) spun the pssgr side is when I could hear it was not the brakes or wheels but coming from UNDER the middle ( I know my rigs pretty well) so I go around , start it and being on an slight incline , just let it roll at about .5mph downhill in neutral and (I'm in middle of no where mind you ) leaned out driver door and actually was low enough to see the spot it was coming from . the diff / back of differential ( I still wasn't thinking anything drive shaft here @ this point ..) .

at this point I'm thinking I've f-Ed my front R&P or something , I stop , hilift the front (��) and turn the wheel open to pin point it and that's when I was like safety conscious and said I shouldn't crawl under this out here alone if it's on a hi lift so I threw the running jeep into neutral left pbrake disengaged and laid in that road just enough to touch the yoke sleeve on the differential pinion opening connected to the 1310 DC woods DS & it totally was that metal collar that is where around the billet steel yoke adapter that comes with the front Jeep JKU driveshaft from Tom Woods has ....I figured it must be a u joint and it has not returned since I greased the crap out of it . I'm headed back to same spot this minute so I will report I a few hours . if you don't hear from me in a day , send help to the cheatham county wildlife refuge and nature center in Ashland City , Tn - cool?

( thanks for the help . I know ; weird ask heck that sound could be from a joint seems unlikely , right ? yeah, I checked the fluid in the diff it's ok )

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-05-2015 at 01:31 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2015, 01:49 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjk View Post
X2... gotta be something esle going on. Check these out to replace the LCA brackets.

Synergy LC Mounts

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
X2... gotta be something esle going on. Check these out to replace the LCA brackets.

Synergy LC Mounts

thnks, Pig. Already got those + gonna burn 'em in in next couple of weeks. I ran that same road today - albeit about 30mph slower - and no squealing. I guess the CV ball or one of the UJoints in the woods drive shaft got heated up or something? It seems that it just needed some Synergy moly grease 'cuz that is what the whole Woodsy DS got purged out with today before I went and it did not make the sound. We ran it again and faster. No sound.

I will keep eye on it.

No telling what else I screwed-up as hard as I hit the pssg side ...took a chunk outta a brand new ring guard, utterly folded destroyed s Bilstien 5100 , the LCA bracket, a turn indicator and it's zip tie and a swaybar endlink ....it basically jammed my front, fully drooped axle on pssgr-side with the entire weight of the Jeep going into that corner as I came and slipped off a rock down into crack about 3' deep and pushed everything axle-wise over towards the driver. luck let me not break more . I knew better than to be attempting the crawl that we were( back on the day that this occurred a month ago ) , especially after a after a rain , so all on me., Still, it sucks and has taught me tht one little thing can snowball all to heck on you if you do not fix it.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-05-2015 at 05:20 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-06-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

just went out to same location for second round + more "spirited" run; since greasing the driveshaft the noise has not returned. dunno how something that loud emitted from a dried ujoint on diff yoke of a DS, but it must have REALLY needed purging or somethin.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode