Mopar J8 heavy duty brake booster master cylindr kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Mopar J8 heavy duty brake booster master cylindr kit

Has any one upgraded the mopar j8 master cylinder and brake booster?

http://www.conceptcarz.com/a11082/JE...THE-TRAIL.aspx

From the pictures the master cylinder looks bigger than stock and Teraflex.

Here is the part number

Master Cylinder and Brake Booster part number P5160050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 06-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

AFAIK, the parts in this article are all standard third-party kits rebranded with the Mopar label. So the big brake kit is actually the Teraflex kit in Mopar packaging.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #3 of 68 Old 06-28-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I am only interested in brake booster and master cylinder kit. Teraflex does not include brake booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 12:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
AFAIK, the parts in this article are all standard third-party kits rebranded with the Mopar label. So the big brake kit is actually the Teraflex kit in Mopar packaging.
If I remember, it's actually the master cylinder from the BR6 heavy duty brake upgrade that's available in foreign markets.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Not sure about where else but its definatley the brake booster and master cylinder used on J8 models...

Has anyone replaced it ? Any issues with the size of the brake booster?
post #6 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Wheeler

The BR6 master and booster were the Euro version until 2012+ when Jeep made all NA and Euro master/booster the same. I haven't confirmed if the J8 uses a different master yet, as I believe the rear calipers are different than production. On the 2012+ I find the best upgrade is simply bleeding the crap out of the system, the pedal is mushy and crappy as received. A power bleeder is ideal, but old-fashioned way works fine too, just run all old fluid out. A good trick for swapping brake fluid is take a plastic squeeze bottle with a little length of hose (I use vac line) and suck old fluid out of master. Turkey baster works good too, you get the idea. Once old crap is gone pour in fresh and bleed through calipers until fresh comes out. Start with right rear, then left rear, then right front, finally left front. Jeeps come with DOT 3, don't bother upgrading to DOT 4 the only difference is higher temp capability which is a waste for Jeeps. DOT 5 IS NOT COMPATIBLE with DOT 3 and once again a waste of $$ for a Jeep. In testing it has been shown that generic DOT 3 is almost identical to Mopar, Ford, etc. so save your $$ and buy from Autozone, O'reilleys, etc.

LoD front Ace Engineering rear Xenon fenders Rockhard skids EVO Rockstars Mickey Thompson Classic Beadlocks Goodyear Fierce Attitudes Spending as fast I can!
post #7 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Rock God

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...&id=16470&mid=

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #9 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 AM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
I am only interested in brake booster and master cylinder kit. Teraflex does not include brake booster.
Which calipers are you going with?

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Granite Guru

Mopar part P5160050 was on national back order with no ETA when I tried to order it a few weeks ago. I ended up using the Teraflex master cylinder and I works great with my 04 superduty front and 06 14 bolt rear.
post #11 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Granite Guru

Some good info on the break booster in the last 5 or so pages.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177729
post #12 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Rock God

I ran Raybestos part #MC391385. Cost me $80 and measures .11" larger than stock.
post #13 of 68 Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well i just ordered both Brake Booster and Master Cylinder as an upgarde see what happens when it arrives.

Hopefully its a simple bolt on without any head scratching ...
post #14 of 68 Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 AM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Well i just ordered both Brake Booster and Master Cylinder as an upgarde see what happens when it arrives.

Hopefully its a simple bolt on without any head scratching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
Which calipers are you going with?

Andy

post #15 of 68 Old 06-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Rock God

I just ordered this too. I hope to have it in the next week or two. I'm running a high pinion 60 and a 14 bolt so I'm hoping it will help with the mushy pedal and get more fluid to the front calipers. Even with the mushy pedal I can lock up the rears with 42's but not the fronts.

From what I understand this master is supposed to be closer to 1-1/8" bore. The BR6, liberty, and Teraflex are 1-1/16 bore. I'll verify when I get it and report back.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #16 of 68 Old 06-30-2015, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
I just ordered this too. I hope to have it in the next week or two. I'm running a high pinion 60 and a 14 bolt so I'm hoping it will help with the mushy pedal and get more fluid to the front calipers. Even with the mushy pedal I can lock up the rears with 42's but not the fronts.

From what I understand this master is supposed to be closer to 1-1/8" bore. The BR6, liberty, and Teraflex are 1-1/16 bore. I'll verify when I get it and report back.
Do you have a Proportioning Valve installed?

Kevin
post #17 of 68 Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
A little math would go a long way here wouldn't it.

Kevin
Gint2 likes this.
post #18 of 68 Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
A little math would go a long way here wouldn't it.

Kevin
This thread scares me. Someone will read it and think they can get better braking by doing a brake booster and MC upgrade not understanding the reason you do that upgrade.

Andy

post #19 of 68 Old 06-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Looking forward to your feedback.

Upgraded the the master to the Teraflex when we put in the Dynatracs with the f-350 brakes.

Still not where I would like to be with the braking package. Would prefer not to go with a full tits with a Wilwood. But something has to change
post #20 of 68 Old 06-30-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Where did you order yours? I got a reply back today its on back order from mopar america...

Just for others I am running D60s with custom Full Floater twin piston brake calipers with uograded Tera MC.
The brakes are fine but with the biggr MC bore and Bigger Brake Booster with more PSI would definately help improve the brakes further.

Also I have LS3 which created more vaccum pressure than 3.8 engine.

To take full advatntage of the bigger brakes and rotors ALL the brake components needs to match.

Even though your brakes seems fine on the pedal after replacing to bigger brake calipers and rotors but if there is not enough pressure its useless.

There is a reason why J8 has bigger brakes, large piston and to work properly it has bigger BB and MC.

Just by repalcing the MC is good but not ideal if your BB psi not doing anything.

I have aero gauge and i will be measurung the PSI as is and after the upgarde to see the results hoping to see better results.
Gint2 likes this.
post #21 of 68 Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Further research suggests that the Mopar Big Brake kit components are from the RAM Truck line.

Does anyone know which model Year Ram truck the Master Cylinder and Booster is from.
post #22 of 68 Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru

I ordered the whole kit. I currently run just Black Magic front pads and it is far better than stock. Still, I have the upgrade bug and even quicker stopping is better, mainly for those steep slow declines and emergency braking. So I ordered these and will give my Black Magic brake pads and maybe even the rotors to a friend (only 10,000 miles on mine) who has a 2012 JKU that needs front brakes.

Since the rotors packed in the kits were the incorrect ones, shipping was delayed as they swapped the rotors etc. Hopefully I will have it next week.

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #23 of 68 Old 07-01-2015, 09:31 AM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Where did you order yours? I got a reply back today its on back order from mopar america...

Just for others I am running D60s with custom Full Floater twin piston brake calipers with uograded Tera MC.
The brakes are fine but with the biggr MC bore and Bigger Brake Booster with more PSI would definately help improve the brakes further.

Also I have LS3 which created more vaccum pressure than 3.8 engine.

To take full advatntage of the bigger brakes and rotors ALL the brake components needs to match.

Even though your brakes seems fine on the pedal after replacing to bigger brake calipers and rotors but if there is not enough pressure its useless.

There is a reason why J8 has bigger brakes, large piston and to work properly it has bigger BB and MC.

Just by repalcing the MC is good but not ideal if your BB psi not doing anything.

I have aero gauge and i will be measurung the PSI as is and after the upgarde to see the results hoping to see better results.
I'd be very interested in your vacuum readings when you get them. My 6.2 pulls less vacuum than the inline 6 I took out of my TJ. It would be awesome to compare notes to see how your LS3 compares to my L92.

Andy

post #24 of 68 Old 07-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Rock God

My brake kit showed up at the shop today. I plan to go up this evening and pick it up. I'll measure the bore and report back.

I hope this helps with the big twin piston front calipers I'm running on my 60. If it doesn't I'm going to swap to Chevy style front single piston calipers. The brakes work but I don't like the pedal feel.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #25 of 68 Old 07-01-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
My brake kit showed up at the shop today. I plan to go up this evening and pick it up. I'll measure the bore and report back.

I hope this helps with the big twin piston front calipers I'm running on my 60. If it doesn't I'm going to swap to Chevy style front single piston calipers. The brakes work but I don't like the pedal feel.
Great news.
Can you please post some decent close up pics of the kit?
Also if you have the aerofroce gauge you can just take the Brake PSI measurements before and after since you are using twin piston front calipers.

I just ordered the Big Brake Boster and matching master cylinder. I will also take the Brake PSI measurements before and after and post the results.

One for thing. To compare the brake psi test its important to take consideration of brakes lines steel vs stock rubber, stock MC Vs Teraflex MC and single Vs twin piston calipers.
I have all of the above, twin piston caliper, Teraflex upgraded MC and braided steel brakes lines extended. I will take the PSI measurement As is and After.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode