Bushwacker flat fender flares - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-28-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bushwacker flat fender flares

Used the search function with no luck. Looking for advice or tips on installing Bushwacker flat fender flares. I installed some Bushwacker pocket flares on a buddies JK a few weeks ago, but from what I have read and researched the flat style are a lot tougher to install. Had a local shop quote me $600 for the install, but I prefer to do all my mods myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I have installed a Pro Charger amongst other things on my old SRT. Just don't have much experience with body mods especially on Wranglers. Also if anyone is near the NW burbs of Chgo and want to give me a hand, I will provide all the beer and food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1112 View Post
Used the search function with no luck. Looking for advice or tips on installing Bushwacker flat fender flares. I installed some Bushwacker pocket flares on a buddies JK a few weeks ago, but from what I have read and researched the flat style are a lot tougher to install. Had a local shop quote me $600 for the install, but I prefer to do all my mods myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I have installed a Pro Charger amongst other things on my old SRT. Just don't have much experience with body mods especially on Wranglers. Also if anyone is near the NW burbs of Chgo and want to give me a hand, I will provide all the beer and food.
They are not hard just tedious. If you have a second set of hands that helps too. I installed mine solo but this video is the very good. I used a heavy duty pair of scissors to cut the inner fenders.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Not that hard, but it takes a lot of time. An extra set of hands and eyes will help a lot. After cutting the fender notch out, paint it.... I thought I would do it later.....

2014 JKURx
35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers
2 M - KG4ZFC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Wheeler

Before you put everything back together make sure your lights on the flat flares work. Once you notice that the lights aren't working, flip the wires around so that the colors are opposite of the factory wiring. I spent about an hour trying to figure it out until I searched it on the forum. Not sure why they wouldn't mention anything about that in the instructions....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010, 2.5 Teraflex Coil Lift, Cooper Discoverer STT'S 295/70/17, Mickey Thompson's, Bushwacker Flares
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Granite Guru

All good info above!

When you install the plastic pieces that mount to the body, that the flat fenders mount onto, make you sure you have clips installed that you screw into. Its a pain in the ass to have to remove them to put the clips on, as they should have been in the first place.

Ask me how I know lol.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Also, when you are cutting the factory fender liners (per the instructions), make sure your cuts are accurate, or cut conservatively. If you remove too much, the new flat flare won't be able to hold it up and it'll just flop around in the wheel well. You'll see what I mean when you read the instructions and get into the project.

2014 JKUR * Flame Red * 35's/2.5" lift * 10a bumpers * Trektop NX * many other miscellaneous mods
post #7 of 11 Old 07-02-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the advice and I plan on taking my time. I have a buddy or 2 that will help out. I planned on cutting the liners about a 1/8" strong and then trim as needed.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-02-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapasJP View Post
Not that hard, but it takes a lot of time. An extra set of hands and eyes will help a lot. After cutting the fender notch out, paint it.... I thought I would do it later.....
Huh??? Didn't see anything about cutting the fender? Is this the play a game with the newb?
post #9 of 11 Old 07-02-2015, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1112 View Post
Huh??? Didn't see anything about cutting the fender? Is this the play a game with the newb?
not sure what he is talking about. I never needed to cut anything. Also don't cut proud just trace the line like instructions and video says and cut flush the first time.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2015, 07:09 PM
JKO Addict!

You cut the stock fender liner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I did the install and they came out great, just watched the video that was posted in 2nd post while I was doing the install. Front drivers side took me about 2.5 hours, front passenger side I shaved 1 hour off and knocked it out in under 90 minutes. Rear drivers side took about 90 min and passenger side took me about 60 min. So I saved myself $600 on the install and will be spending that on a new head unit. I honestly thought these were easier to install than my buddies pocket flares. I did these by myself and don't think I could have did the pocket flares by myself. Will post pics in another thread once Photobucket decides not to act up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode