Questions for HEMI swappers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-27-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Questions for HEMI swappers

Ok so I am thinking of a Hemi swap. I know I know LS a great option but seems as if the Hemi is a little more plug and play. I will have to piece all the parts over a little bit of time. My first order of business is to get my hands on an engine and transmission. Ideally, from research, it seems a 2010 Ram 5.7 complete drop out is the way to go. Also from my research I am convinced this can be done for $10k or less so that is my budget, $10k or less. For the added HP I would prefer to use a Ram engine. Which brings a few questions

1. First aside from eBay where are the DiYers finding their engine and transmissions? Car-part.com?

1a. A buddy found a sort of local complete dropout from a 2010 with 65k miles for $4500 plus core but Am I crazy to believe that I can get low mileage engine and transmission for $3500 or should I expect more?

2. Would buying let's say a 2011 engine or NEWER engine and then finding a 2010 transmission separately, generate any additional headaches? (Trying to avoid changing valve body)

3. Does it matter if you use a 545rfe for a Jeep or a Dodge?

4.and confirm 4wd or 2wd tranny does not matter?

5. Can the STOCK JK accessories be used for the swap or does the Hemi require the stock accessories for it?

6. Anyone use their stock JK exhaust for the time being?

7. Have all of you used aftermarket radiator?

Any pointers on engine and transmission purchase would be greatly appreciated. Planning to use JSS Kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Granite Guru

Ok so I am thinking of a Hemi swap. I know I know LS a great option but seems as if the Hemi is a little more plug and play. I will have to piece all the parts over a little bit of time. My first order of business is to get my hands on an engine and transmission. Ideally, from research, it seems a 2010 Ram 5.7 complete drop out is the way to go. Also from my research I am convinced this can be done for $10k or less so that is my budget, $10k or less. For the added HP I would prefer to use a Ram engine. Which brings a few questions
1. First aside from eBay where are the DiYers finding their engine and transmissions? Car-part.com?

I was looking at craigslist and found a wrecking hard that had a 2011 VVT grand Cherokee motor tranny and t case for $3k cash only. I got the wiring harness, all accessories and almost anything I wanted from it. It was a brand new grand Cherokee on a car hauler that went user an u see pass that was too low and they tore the roof off. 6 miles on the drivetrain.
Around here (SoCal) I see low milage truck motors for $3500 regularly.

1a. A buddy found a sort of local complete dropout from a 2010 with 65k miles for $4500 plus core but Am I crazy to believe that I can get low mileage engine and transmission for $3500 or should I expect more?
Depends how complete it is. Exhaust?

2. Would buying let's say a 2011 engine or NEWER engine and then finding a 2010 transmission separately, generate any additional headaches? (Trying to avoid changing valve body)

I always think of automatics as black magic, but when the tranny is out changing the valve body is really easy. The hardest part is cleaning the mess after you take the pan off. You can use the solenoid pack so the valve body swap costs about $260.

No, but remember that you'll have to buy the 4wd adapter either way. It's a factor part and costs about $250.

Yup. See above. Easy to swap the adapter. If you aren't familiar with driving in seals you might want to order an extra just in case you bugger up the first one.

5. Can the STOCK JK accessories be used for the swap or does the Hemi require the stock accessories for it?
Good question. My engine did not have an alternator.. I thought it was no big deal till I went to buy one. The grand Cherokee comes with a 220 amp unit that costs about $500 new. I found a low milage junkyard unit for $95 delivered. You need all the hemi accessories. Keep you ac lines.

The folks I talked to that did this quickly burned up the stock cats. I can't post how I did mine because selling used cats is illegal in ca..... But pm me. Total

I would not. You won't save any money if you overheat the motor.

Any pointers on engine and transmission purchase would be greatly appreciated. Planning to use JSS Kit.
Order it now. It takes Todd a long time to ship.
I had to buy the motor mounts that bolt to the block as well as an oil pan and dipstick.
10k is possible for a nice swap if you can weld. Do t forget it uses antifreeze that it $20/gallon, I think the tranny took 12 quarts after I had the pan off, the exhaust was $570 at a local shop after I provided the cats, it adds up. I sold the stock motor and tranny cheap so you don't get much back from all that
post #3 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Rock God

Green leaf is a great place and Cleveland auto parts, they have 12-12 warranty on their stuff too. It's where I got my lsa from

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 AM
jss
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post

Craigslist, Wrecking yards, Dodge Truck builders.

I know of some engines in Michigan 2015, but you will also need to know that the AC compressor will not work from a 2014 on up. Also from 2013 on up will need a crank sensor. The 2013 on up will also need a Power Steering pump, the 3.8L power steering pump can be reused with a bushing for the pulley.

The 2005-2010 545RFE trans will work, the best trans is from the truck, some of the Jeep transmissions are 45RFE.

Yes it does matter, the truck trans is better i think.

The 545RFE has the same out put shaft and the 2 wheel drive trans has a bolt on extension housing, now the trans pan is a little different, but will work fine.

You will need to use all of the Truck Accessories, we can reuse the 3.8L power steering pump if needed.

The 3.8L exhaust will work, but it is a little small (2 inch pipe). Good for a little while.

The 3.8L radiator will not work on a 400HP engine, we have guys that have used many different styles of radiators, a 1 1/4 inch core will work, the most important part of the radiator is air flow. The KILLER of radiators in a JK is electrolysis.

I think the VVT Truck Hemi is the best Hemi engines out their and one of the easiest swaps.

["jeep speed shop The GuineaPig Build"]
VVT Truck Hemi Conversions
The ONLY CARB LEGAL JEEP ENGINE CONVERSION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7911 Redwood Dr, Cotati, Ca. 94931
707-338-3154
post #5 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Rock God

The grand Cherokee motor looks so much better in the wrangler then the truck motor.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps448a76b6.jpg

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

post #6 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

So far I have located a 2010 4x4 Truck Hemi with transmission, and a transfer case with belt driven accessories, throttle body, and fuse box. Does not have a computer..He has not heard it run but says it came out of a totaled rear ended truck. Has not heard run but turns it by hand on occasion. Said he would take $3k. Opinions.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Wheeler

I have a 4wd Adapter I'll sell for $100 new in box. I also have a spreadsheet of parts and costs if you want it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Spread sheet would be great! [email protected]
post #9 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 02:46 PM
JKowners Vendor

Just a fyi, I bought a '12 5.3LS and 6l80e for $4k and it only had 840 miles on it. I'll be close to $10k once its done..using a MoTech kit.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #10 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
The grand Cherokee motor looks so much better in the wrangler then the truck motor.

The bride has a new 5.7 Grand Cherokee. I can't help looking at it and thinking, "I wonder..."

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #11 of 21 Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post

You do realize that is just a plastic cover right?

Given the choice,the VVT truck motor is the best option in my opinion.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

So I snagged a 2010 RAM 5.7 Hemi with transmission(53k miles) even had the transfer case with it for $3000. I ordered the JSS VVT Swap kit with radiator from Todd. Will order the shroud from him as well. My Jeep still has the 3.8 in it. Figured I would wait until I got all the parts before I take it out. Unless any of you need, want or know someone in the market for a replacement Powerplant (66k miles) for their rig. Or if anyone has a need for a NP243 Transfer case. Let me know.

Next order of business is piecing together the little shit.

Either way I plan on replacing the stock exhaust but in the interest of moving along a little faster what sort of issues, mods etc, if any, are required to use the stock exhaust for a bit?

What is everyone's vote for doing the swap body on or off? Will have access to a lift throughout the entire process.

Any input is appreciated.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Granite Guru

The stock exhaust is way too small for the V8. Body off is the perfect way to do the swap. The fit is very tight in the JK so having the body off and working on it from the top makes the welding and install so much easier, so does having the complete install kit.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
Just a fyi, I bought a '12 5.3LS and 6l80e for $4k and it only had 840 miles on it. I'll be close to $10k once its done..using a Motec kit.
Do you mean MoTech?

Because a company called MoTeC does exist, and they deal with engine management, which may cause some confusion.

I just wanted to clarify, in the case of someone who is not familiar with the subject matter coming across this thread via a Google search.

AKA: "American" on PBB
post #15 of 21 Old 12-22-2015, 06:34 PM

The cheapest way you can do a hemi swap is to use copart.com, buy a wrecked 2009 4x4 Ram. Take what you need, and sell the rest. I did this, and I MADE $1K, and kept the motor and tranny. You want a 2009, it is the first year of the VVT, and the last year that does not require a valve body swap. To give you an idea, I paid $5500 for a 2009 Ram, SLT,with 50K miles for my swap.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Actually 2010 does not need a valve body swap. I used a 2010 Truck complete drop out.
Set deal Cowboy. I thought of too but no place to keep a parts rig laying around.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-23-2015, 07:40 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUcowboy View Post
The cheapest way you can do a hemi swap is to use copart.com, buy a wrecked 2009 4x4 Ram. Take what you need, and sell the rest. I did this, and I MADE $1K, and kept the motor and tranny. You want a 2009, it is the first year of the VVT, and the last year that does not require a valve body swap. To give you an idea, I paid $5500 for a 2009 Ram, SLT,with 50K miles for my swap.
Can you give us an idea of some of the things you sold that paid ya back? And what websites/places Ya sold em on?
Thanks

2010 Silver JKU

Last edited by jvandy50; 12-24-2015 at 12:06 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Wheeler

Having done my swap using the JSS kit in my shop over the winter last year with out pulling the body.... I'm not sure hwy people say it's easier pulling the body. It took me 20 minutes to stab the engine and trans. It took more time to get the 3.8 out than it did to bolt up the Hemi
post #19 of 21 Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrupper View Post
I have a 4wd Adapter I'll sell for $100 new in box. I also have a spreadsheet of parts and costs if you want it.

I sent you a PM

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #20 of 21 Old 01-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Wheeler

Sorry. Been laid up. Let me find it and I'll message you.

post #21 of 21 Old 01-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrupper View Post
Sorry. Been laid up. Let me find it and I'll message you.

thanks

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode