My thoughts and tips for 4" Rough Country lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

My thoughts and tips for 4" Rough Country lift

Hey everyone! This is my first post to the forum, but i've immensely benefited from everyone's threads and discussion on here so i thought i'd give back and help some in the future.

Vehicle: 2015 JKU

I recently bought and installed the items below which i will provide any immediate thoughts i have about, but would love to answer any question you all might have.

KIT:Rough Country 4" X-Series Lift Kit (8 arms kit )
SHOCKS:Rancho RS9000 Series adjustable shocks (P/N: RS999329, RS999330)
TIRES: Mastercraft Courser MXT 315/70R17
WHEELS: 17 Inch XD811.
DRIVESHAFT: Rough Country Front Driveshaft
AND Rough Country Exhaust Extensions

**disclaimer: I'm a helicopter mechanic, not an automotive mechanic. However, i installed everything myself and it worked out pretty well..just don't expect my vocab or knowledge to be toooo on point or impressive for this discussion lol***

THE LIFT KIT:
The aesthetics of the parts as well as the final result are great. i love the silver/grey coils with my anvil colored jeep, and the black arms look good also with a textured but glossy finish.
My 3 biggest complaints are (1) the treading on the adjustable control arms as well as the track bar are shit. all except for two components required me to brace one end on my garage door track and put a pipe in the joint and twist like hell..hardly easily adjustable..the trackbar had to be completely taken off the vehicle to get the necessary leverage to adjust it (2) the instructions are outdated and vague at times, the tool list is incomplete requiring me to make multiple runs to auto-zone as i opened a new box later on in the installation. they also include hardware that isn't mentioned in the instructions at all!!! after a call to rough country i learned that 4 big washers are supposed to go on the control arms, after i had already installed them...their excuse was, they must not of updated the instuctions...ok Rough Country do that lol. (3) I was not prepared to assemble the joints..i understand thats commonplace in hindsight as i scrambled to find help on the forums, but i could have been warned that this bolt on kit would require that...specifically the DAMN SNAP RINGS!!! you need some serious snap ring pliers for these things..i had to end up using needle nose pliers, 3 beers, and 2 hours of frustration breaks. Send me questions!

SHOCKS:
The rancho shocks look cool for sure and the adjustable function is easy but its hard to read the setting. they don't come with instructions so a newb like me was trying to figure out how to extend those bad boys. HINT: turn the shock counter clockwise..*hisssssssssss*...done. so far the ride is like clouds, speed bumps suck. but im sure they need to wear in and i need to fiddle with the settings to find the ones i like. Fitment was perfect, it was the easiest part of the install... EXCEPT the passenger side top mount is hard to get to, just destroy the plastic piece above it and you're fine

TIRES: They are pretty quiet. i dont have to many miles on them or anything to compare them to but they look cool and sound good and seem like they could pull through some slick stuff if need be. Im pleased.

Wheels: they're badass, end of discussion. Although, the google images can be decieving, the smaller the wheel size the less "Deep" they are and dont look as cool, but i still like them.

Driveshaft: lol lets hope for the best so far, it spins and hasnt exploded on me installation was easy once i got a hold of an air gun to break the torque on the pinion and TC nut.

EXHAUST SPACERS ARE COMPLETE TRASH DO NOT GET THEM. the bolts are to long so the fitment is so loose it just spits condensation and noise like i cut off my whole system.

Well those are my useless thoughts, i'll try to field any question for you who are thinking about diving into any of the above products!!!!

heres a pic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 05:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Good review. How come you didn't go for the longer Rancho 9000's?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

BLUF: i dont know lol.

I called Rancho after i changed my mind from a 3.5" metalcloak lift to the Rough country one but had already recieved the shocks, they said they would work and were meant for a 3.5 to 4 inch lift so i said cool...they definitely wont give me crazy extension offroad and i definitely could use longer ones...the rough country shocks that came with kit are hardly an inch longer with their built in bumpstop though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Okay, just as long as you realize you're losing some travel running those shocks.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

If i could figure out a way to get them to exchange them, what extended length should i be looking for?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Wheeler

You're a helicopter mechanic? I work F-15s in the AF. Are you military?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2015, 05:52 AM
JKO Addict!

My thoughts and tips for 4" Rough Country lift

Contact the forum rep Matt (Rancho)
The 31/32xl are around 11" and better spec'd for your height.
What are you running for bump stop?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode