Help on choosing a lift...? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Help on choosing a lift...?

Ok guys, I've been doing a ton of research on lifts, and I have it down to two kits that I am considering. One is pieced together by a seemingly very knowledgeable member of another forum and one is a complete kit from a company. Both are similar in price, and the difference is negligible to me. The teraflex kit is pieced together, and through research, seems to be a very popular kit when pieced together this way. The other is a complete RK 2.5" flex system kit. The RK kit seems to have more pieces for the price, so I'm confused if I need these pieces of not. Can anyone chime in, and let me know?

Here's the Rock Krawler Kit:
http://www.northridge4x4.com/suspens...r-jk25fs-4kit?

Here's the Teraflex Kit:
http://www.allensoffroad.com/suspens...ction-KJ-Combo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Wheeler

I would go for the rock krawler kit ive used there stuff before and its decent quality.
post #3 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Wheeler

If you're already determined to get one of those two I would say go with RK. They have a good reputation and good products, I have Teraflex products on my rig and let's just say I'm overhauling everything and going with Synergy.. There are plenty of ways to piece together a kit to save yourself money and perform just as well or even better than one of those prepackaged kits.. Just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 10:24 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Both are comparable if you select the front track bar and adjustable front lower control arms with the Teraflex kit.

Front lower control arms will allow you to dial the caster back in and keep the Jeep from feeling like it is wandering at speed.

The front track bar centers the axle under the Jeep and will keep the electronic stability control in check.

Can't really go wrong with either here because you are comparing apples to apples in regard to components included.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Both are comparable if you select the front track bar and adjustable front lower control arms with the Teraflex kit.

Front lower control arms will allow you to dial the caster back in and keep the Jeep from feeling like it is wandering at speed.

The front track bar centers the axle under the Jeep and will keep the electronic stability control in check.

Can't really go wrong with either here because you are comparing apples to apples in regard to components included.

Marcus
I'm buying either of these kits with the intention to move into a 4 inch lift at some point later on. So, should I go ahead and get the adjustable Lower Control Arms now, so I can adjust later on, without buying these again? If I understand correctly, I'll only need to swap out the shocks, and coils to move up in height. And obviously readjust the LCA.

Also, this is going on a 2015 wrangler, will I need the exhaust spacer?
post #6 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 10:47 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas. View Post
I'm buying either of these kits with the intention to move into a 4 inch lift at some point later on. So, should I go ahead and get the adjustable Lower Control Arms now, so I can adjust later on, without buying these again? If I understand correctly, I'll only need to swap out the shocks, and coils to move up in height. And obviously readjust the LCA.

Also, this is going on a 2015 wrangler, will I need the exhaust spacer?
At 2.5" you'll likely be fine, but exhaust spacers are a cheap fix. The other option is a front driveshaft or having a local exhaust shop move the exhaust slightly to clear the driveshaft better.

Buying front lowers is a one time deal and you can add to the lift as you see fit.

post #7 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Once again the RK fanboys are quick to respond, funny they recommend you a kit without bothering to ask what your plans are. What are you wanting to do, what kind of terrain do you wheel, do you even go off road, is this a daily driver, are you handy with tools, why do you want a 4" later. Not trying to be a smartass but nobody should tell you what to get without knowing the answers to some of those questions.
post #8 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 04:25 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedundanT View Post
Once again the RK fanboys are quick to respond, funny they recommend you a kit without bothering to ask what your plans are. What are you wanting to do, what kind of terrain do you wheel, do you even go off road, is this a daily driver, are you handy with tools, why do you want a 4" later. Not trying to be a smartass but nobody should tell you what to get without knowing the answers to some of those questions.
While I agree with you, he's looking at two kits that address 99% of what anyone lifting a Jeep 2.5" needs right out of the gate to have a stable and well balanced "build".

It doesn't matter what he's doing with the Jeep if he already fully understands the need for lower control arms or brackets, track bars, ect.

post #9 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
While I agree with you, he's looking at two kits that address 99% of what anyone lifting a Jeep 2.5" needs right out of the gate to have a stable and well balanced "build".

It doesn't matter what he's doing with the Jeep if he already fully understands the need for lower control arms or brackets, track bars, ect.
Marcus I value and respect your advice and opinions and would not randomly offer a post just to be argumentative. I do question the OP if he is pricing a 2.5" lift if he is serious about a 4" down the road. I don't have a dog in this hunt and will not make one cent if he goes one kit or the other. I would however offer some fools advice that if you are serious about going bigger later, then just save and do it all at once. If that is not an option then I would offer up the Synergy 3" or the MetalCloak 3.5" Duroflex kit. I just can't see buying something that is not really what you want in the first place.
post #10 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Rock God

Teraflex's rear track bar bracket is a much better choice than Rock Krawler's. Better mounting and multiple trackbar mounting heights.

Teraflex arms are bent for tire clearance. This may help prevent losing turning radius or running wheels that push the tires too far outside the flare (important for those with coverage laws) which are issues some run into with Rock Krawler arms.

The drop brackets are a better option than Rock Krawler or Teraflex arms for some. If you are one of them, that should be a big factor.

The Rock krawler Kit relies on Teraflex parts to make it complete/comparable.

The Bilstein 5100 shocks included with the Rock Krawler lift: The front are the shocks that Bilstein specifies for a Long arm lift (North Ridge is using them on a short arm) AND the rear shocks are for the short lifts (up to 2.5") but fit with factory bump stops. Using them with 2.5" rear bump stop will basically leave you with the same rear travel as stock because of the unused travel lost because of being over bumped for the shocks.
post #11 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 PM
JKO Addict!

NR does the same with the 9000's.
Longer front/shorter rear shock.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 44 Old 06-23-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Marcus I value and respect your advice and opinions and would not randomly offer a post just to be argumentative. I do question the OP if he is pricing a 2.5" lift if he is serious about a 4" down the road. I don't have a dog in this hunt and will not make one cent if he goes one kit or the other. I would however offer some fools advice that if you are serious about going bigger later, then just save and do it all at once. If that is not an option then I would offer up the Synergy 3" or the MetalCloak 3.5" Duroflex kit. I just can't see buying something that is not really what you want in the first place.
The reasoning behind going with a 2.5" now is because this a sport wrangler with the less than desirable Dana 30 in the front. Eventually, this axle will break, or bend, or something. That's when phase two of my build comes into play. I will be sourcing a junkyard set of 60s, or comparable one ton axles, while I wheel the current setup. I will build the axles as I go, and then, when the time comes, I will swap axles, and go to the full 4 inch height I want with 37 inch tires. So if I'm being honestly, I want a mild off road toy that I can daily drive without too much hassle. Since this jeep is brand new, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to start gutting axles, and my bank account isn't exactly up to the task either. Hence, why I am going to slowly source the parts I need, and build the exact axle I want. The entire idea behind this jeep is budget friendly. I know Jeeps are expensive, but I know from prior experience I can do a lot of this myself, and I have the skill set and tools to do, or learn how to do most of the work.

As far as the type of wheeling, I have looked long and hard into the kits, and it seems 2.5 inches is where most people keep the daily driven jeeps that don't see too much off road. I live in Las Vegas, so it's mostly desert style wheeling on rocks and sand. This is no means a crawler, and wont be for some time. Mostly highway miles to work, and the occasional weekend warrior type trips. But I want to be able to enjoy the jeep at the time same time. I fully understand I am essentially wasting money right now, but I'm OK with that.

Also, I notice you mentioned the RK fan boys. I find each company has their set of fans, and to each their own. I'm ideally looking for people who have run multiple lifts, and have something to compare. I thoroughly read through KJeeper's thread on another site about his lift kit he suggested, and he makes very valid points to back his suggestions up. That's why his "lift kit package" is one of my choices.

My goals for this point in my jeep include at least, or better, road manners than stock, mild flex, and retain-ability (meaning I can keep most of the lift kit, and swap certain parts to go bigger). I hope I make my choices a little clearer and easier to understand. My goal right now is to run the 35s I currently have, have mild flex, and keep the jeep somewhat daily derivable.
post #13 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
Teraflex's rear track bar bracket is a much better choice than Rock Krawler's. Better mounting and multiple trackbar mounting heights.

Teraflex arms are bent for tire clearance. This may help prevent losing turning radius or running wheels that push the tires too far outside the flare (important for those with coverage laws) which are issues some run into with Rock Krawler arms.

The drop brackets are a better option than Rock Krawler or Teraflex arms for some. If you are one of them, that should be a big factor.

The Rock krawler Kit relies on Teraflex parts to make it complete/comparable.

The Bilstein 5100 shocks included with the Rock Krawler lift: The front are the shocks that Bilstein specifies for a Long arm lift (North Ridge is using them on a short arm) AND the rear shocks are for the short lifts (up to 2.5") but fit with factory bump stops. Using them with 2.5" rear bump stop will basically leave you with the same rear travel as stock because of the unused travel lost because of being over bumped for the shocks.
Per my research I will be going with the rancho 9000 shocks, as most people recommend the upgrade. I did read into people suggesting going with longer shocks, to increase flex, and that is something I will be doing as well. As far as I understand, the long arm kits aren't necessary, and I will not being buying a long arm. I haven't looked into specifics of bump stops because I looked at that as a part I can easily change to my liking after the lift kit is installed and tweaked. Again, per my understanding, I can change those as I see fit according to tire size, and how much flex I feel comfortable with!

Could you elaborate on the part where you mention RK using TF parts for their kits?

The drop brackets will net me negative ground clearance, so I was going to use the adjustable LCA. For two reasons. One, better ground clearance. And two, because I want room to grow into 4 inches, so the adjustable arms make more sense from my understanding of how this is going to play out. I may be wrong though?

The RK kit I looked at also has bent arms, so I'm confused by your statement. Also, the tire coverage laws are not an issue, so I don't mind the tires. Actually, I prefer the aggressive stance a little more to be honest.
post #14 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 03:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas. View Post

Could you elaborate on the part where you mention RK using TF parts for their kits?

The RK kit I looked at also has bent arms, so I'm confused by your statement. Also, the tire coverage laws are not an issue, so I don't mind the tires. Actually, I prefer the aggressive stance a little more to be honest.

Just read what is included in the kit that is put together by North Ridge, along with Rock Krawler, it also includes Teraflex and Synergy parts. Its not a big deal or a bad thing, but you wanted to know what your getting.

Rock Krawler arms are bent for ground clearance, not tire clearance. Teraflex arms are bent for tire clearance and not ground clearance..... Synergy arms are bent for BOTH tire and ground clearance. Just something worth considering.
post #15 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 03:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Just read what is included in the kit that is put together by North Ridge, along with Rock Krawler, it also includes Teraflex and Synergy parts. Its not a big deal or a bad thing, but you wanted to know what your getting.

Rock Krawler arms are bent for ground clearance, not tire clearance. Teraflex arms are bent for tire clearance and not ground clearance..... Synergy arms are bent for BOTH tire and ground clearance. Just something worth considering.
I like where this is headed. I started off with Teraflex 2.5" coil lift and have slowly upgraded to almost all Synergy parts. The only Teraflex parts left on my rig are the rear bumpstops. I found everything else I used from them was "not great". I'm now using the latest synergy arms up front and the way they are bent is perfect, ground and tire clearance in spades. I can't figure out why everyone doesn't bend them like that it just seems so logical! Plus you can adjust the arm length on the rig in 2 mins, so changing things is super easy no dealing with control arm bolts and what not.

Also all the synergy parts are already compatible, so when you run their springs and trackbars you can use their sector shaft brace and draglink, tie rod, etc without issues. And these are parts you are probably going to want down the line. Of course they may work with other brand lift parts, but then they may not so why not just make it easy on yourself and start with Synergy?

I have the 3" synergy lift springs and all the parts mentioned above and am running 12" travel shocks, using every inch of the travel, and stuffing 37's no worries with flat fenders. I've never regretted a single synergy part I've installed.

Last edited by Biginboca; 06-24-2015 at 03:58 AM.
post #16 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Rock God

Id much rather start with a Synergy kit than Teraflex or Rock Krawler lifts mentioned.

They have great components, brackets, and are really more versatile. Synergy's rear lower shock mounts allow you to adjust for shock and bump stop fitment so there is minimal lost stroke. There is no sacrifices made with their control arms.

I don't like that they use cam washers for castor correction in their stage 1.5 3" lift, but that's an easy fix with lower arms.
post #17 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 04:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Id much rather start with a Synergy kit than Teraflex or Rock Krawler lifts mentioned.

They have great components, brackets, and are really more versatile. Synergy's rear lower shock mounts allow you to adjust for shock and bump stop fitment so there is minimal lost stroke. There is no sacrifices made with their control arms.

I don't like that they use cam washers for castor correction in their stage 1.5 3" lift, but that's an easy fix with lower arms.
I think from what the OP has listed as intended use the Synergy kit would be on my short list. OP list ride as Sport but is it a 2dr or 4? If a 4 door then I could see the reasoning behind a taller kit. Personally if it is a JKU then I would go with my original advice, look at the Synergy 3" or the MetalCloak 3.5" that way you're not tossing parts down the line.

As for the 2.5" lifts being on mostly street driven rigs, ouch you sure can alienate your public. A 2 door on 2.5" lift is the sweet spot, not so high that you need a bunch of other parts. Also a daily driver is easier to deal with at 2.5" than 3.5-4". There is also the LCG factor, a 2.5" lift with flat fenders and larger tires are quite capable.
post #18 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 07:18 AM
JKowners Vendor

The good news about the 2.5" Flex System shown from us is that all the components will carry over to a 3.5" lift so the OP will not have to change anything if he choses to go taller...

The OP could always stay at the 2.5" lift height and then choose to go to flat fenders to upsize his tires and never change any other components either.

There are many options for him and as you all know, we all change our mind on our build ideas as time goes on...

We can tell the OP, our Pro Flex Joints and Pro Krawler Joints simply take abuse and our systems flat out do work.

Good luck with your build OP..

RK
post #19 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I like where this is headed. I started off with Teraflex 2.5" coil lift and have slowly upgraded to almost all Synergy parts. The only Teraflex parts left on my rig are the rear bumpstops. I found everything else I used from them was "not great". I'm now using the latest synergy arms up front and the way they are bent is perfect, ground and tire clearance in spades. I can't figure out why everyone doesn't bend them like that it just seems so logical! Plus you can adjust the arm length on the rig in 2 mins, so changing things is super easy no dealing with control arm bolts and what not.

Also all the synergy parts are already compatible, so when you run their springs and trackbars you can use their sector shaft brace and draglink, tie rod, etc without issues. And these are parts you are probably going to want down the line. Of course they may work with other brand lift parts, but then they may not so why not just make it easy on yourself and start with Synergy?

I have the 3" synergy lift springs and all the parts mentioned above and am running 12" travel shocks, using every inch of the travel, and stuffing 37's no worries with flat fenders. I've never regretted a single synergy part I've installed.

curious what the RTI score was?
post #20 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 AM
JKowners Vendor

Setting up your suspension is always a head sratcher. You don't want to make mistakes and waste money. I also offer Rock Krawler products. If there is something special you want to put together, please shoot me a PM with the details.

Mixing and matching for the best performance and product quality has always been a challenge. Let me know if I can help.

Have a blessed and prosperous day!

Allen

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

post #21 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I think from what the OP has listed as intended use the Synergy kit would be on my short list. OP list ride as Sport but is it a 2dr or 4? If a 4 door then I could see the reasoning behind a taller kit. Personally if it is a JKU then I would go with my original advice, look at the Synergy 3" or the MetalCloak 3.5" that way you're not tossing parts down the line.

As for the 2.5" lifts being on mostly street driven rigs, ouch you sure can alienate your public. A 2 door on 2.5" lift is the sweet spot, not so high that you need a bunch of other parts. Also a daily driver is easier to deal with at 2.5" than 3.5-4". There is also the LCG factor, a 2.5" lift with flat fenders and larger tires are quite capable.
Sorry, I should have specified, this is a 4 door jeep. I looked into the metalcloak suspension lifts, and I guess I need to do a lot more research to figure out what I need. I see a lot of their kits include all sorts of pieces. I mainly don't want to go over 2.5 inches since I already purchased the tires, and that's getting really high in the lift. I think 3.5 inches with 35 inch tires (which are actually closer to 34) will look silly.

What do you mean alienate my public?
post #22 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Granite Guru

Jonas you may want to consider the Synergy 3" then, and no 35's won't look too small for the time being. A 3" lift and some flats and you can run those 38's.

When you said most 2.5" lifts were street driven daily drivers it sounded like you were saying 2.5" lifts were for street queens and no serious rig would have such a lowly lift. LOL
post #23 of 44 Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Jonas you may want to consider the Synergy 3" then, and no 35's won't look too small for the time being. A 3" lift and some flats and you can run those 38's.

When you said most 2.5" lifts were street driven daily drivers it sounded like you were saying 2.5" lifts were for street queens and no serious rig would have such a lowly lift. LOL
No, not at all. What I meant is I am going with the 2.5" because it will be the best of both worlds. I looked into synergy, and price is a very real restriction for me. Metal cloak is looking very nice, with the dual rate kit they offer looking to be comparable to what I have listed as my other two options. I'm still in the process of researching I guess, since I didn't even know Metalcloak made lift kits. I thought they only made flat fenders (my ignorance). I keep hearing about Metalcloak having great ride, but bushings wearing out. I heard RK has a huge following, but there is an issue with the rear tracbar bracket making contact with the passenger bumpstop. So, these are all very real things I'm looking into. I'd like to keep this lift kit under $1,500 shipped to my door. I fully plan on doing the install myself, so that's not going to be an added cost. One thing that confuses me about Metalcloak is their website asks you to select either 2.5 or 3.5 lift kit, but the price doesn't seem to change with the different selections. Which leads me to believe they are offering the same kit with different size springs? Also, MC seems to use front upper control arms instead of the lowers I'm used to seeing. So that's different. Everything else seems to be in line with the other kits for the most part. Lastly, MC does not offer shocks with their kit, so I will have to source those for an additional price.

Here's the kit for reference:
http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangle...it-p/7115.htm\

Sorry for so many questions. I'm not new to suspension components, or lifting vehicles, but I'm new to jeeps, and flexing vehicles off road. Everything I've lifted weighed into 9000+ pounds!
post #24 of 44 Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Wheeler

The metalcloak kit you linked to provides shock extensions which allow you to still run your stock shocks. If you go that route I would suggest looking at the MC kit that it $250 more but has an adjustable front track bar and rear track bar bracket.

Just to add to the confusion Northridge sell this Old Man Emu kit which is essentially what I use .http://www.northridge4x4.com/suspens...avel-lift-kit? It will give you 3" lift on a 4 door and rides great. The OME springs are designed to support the weight of heavy bumpers and won't sag out.
post #25 of 44 Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 AM
JKowners Vendor

Personally, on 4 doors we like the 3.5 over the 2.5. The 3.5 with OEM fenders and 35's will look right at home. Once you go to flat fenders 37 and 38's become more popular... It is nice on 4 doors to get the extra inch under the belly since the cross over angles are so poor...

Hope that helps..

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode