I knocked my axle sleeve in to far! Or did I? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-21-2015, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I knocked my axle sleeve in to far! Or did I?

So I was installing synergy axle sleeves in my Dana 44 and gave the sleeve one wack to many. It pushed in a little over a quarter to a half inch passed the lip of the factory tube. I was concerned maybe it pushed the inner axles seals out? Should I pull the carrier out and take a look? Oh man that will be a real pain in the butt.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-21-2015, 03:32 AM
Granite Guru

Why risk it? It doesn't take too much time to pull the carrier out. You probably already know the drill; make sure the bearing caps and everything goes back in the same way it came out.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-21-2015, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here is an update. I pulled the carrier/locker out which was a bitch because it indeed did push the axle seal out and jammed it into the carrier, making it extremely hard to get out (5 foot pry bar did the trick). So if anyone makes the same mistake, you have to pull the carrier and get a new axle seal.

For the hell of it I set the carrier next to a 14b one I had sitting around, and the difference is pretty big, the 14b ring gear makes the 44s look tinny. I cant wait to get a set of 1 tons built up for this sucker.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-21-2015, 06:29 AM
Rock God

I wonder why the sleeve couldn't have a little lip on the end so this wouldn't happen?
post #5 of 14 Old 06-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Granite Guru

It usually isn't a problem. I've helped install 4 sets of sleeves and you normally have to beat the crap out of them with a bearing race tool and BFH to get the last 1/4" of the sleeve to go in. The ones I liked the best have been the the Nitro sleeves because of the knurling at the edge.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-25-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well another update here. Turns out this was not my fault. It turns out northridge4x4 sent me sleeves for a dana30 axle by mistake. My nightmare has just begun cause now the axle seal will not fit back into their homes due to the dana 30 sleeve being .75 inches longer then the 44 sleeve. When I was having a hard time gettin the sleeve in and gave it that last good wack, it was hung up on the seals and when the seal pressed out the sleeve went in to far. Well, I pushed the sleeve back out to be lush with the stock axle tunbes like the instructions said to do, and then welded it all up. Now I am really screwed, I have a welded in place sleeve that is to long. Now I have to figure out how to fix this, what a nightmare. Hammer in the sleeves and weld up and your done has turned into a pull the carrier out, get a new axle seal and figure out how to get this sleeve back out after its been welded! Hopefully northridge4x4 comes up with a good solution to fix their mistake.

Moral of this story is check your sleeves before installing them! Don't trust they sent you the correct one.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Wow that sucks man. I would call Dave at NR and see if there is some way they can help you make this right.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-25-2015, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Can it be knocked back out ?
That sucks dude... Hope all works out.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #9 of 14 Old 06-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech180 View Post
Well another update here. Turns out this was not my fault. It turns out northridge4x4 sent me sleeves for a dana30 axle by mistake. My nightmare has just begun cause now the axle seal will not fit back into their homes due to the dana 30 sleeve being .75 inches longer then the 44 sleeve. When I was having a hard time gettin the sleeve in and gave it that last good wack, it was hung up on the seals and when the seal pressed out the sleeve went in to far. Well, I pushed the sleeve back out to be lush with the stock axle tunbes like the instructions said to do, and then welded it all up. Now I am really screwed, I have a welded in place sleeve that is to long. Now I have to figure out how to fix this, what a nightmare. Hammer in the sleeves and weld up and your done has turned into a pull the carrier out, get a new axle seal and figure out how to get this sleeve back out after its been welded! Hopefully northridge4x4 comes up with a good solution to fix their mistake.

Moral of this story is check your sleeves before installing them! Don't trust they sent you the correct one.

Hey Tech,

It was good talking to you earlier, Sorry I had to be the bearer of bad news

Like you mentioned, I can not stress enough how important it is to just take a quick peek at the part numbers you receive from anyone or any distributor. I remember towards the end of my freshman year in college, it was finals week and my MP112 supercharger had just shown up for my LS engine. I was so gung-ho to get it installed I just started tearing things apart and had it on in roughly 2-3 hours only to find out I had been sent the wrong belt tensioner bracket, this was my DD, and I had a few finals in the upcoming hours.....

Not taking those finals was not one of my options. That was the most walking I've ever done in one day

Cheers.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Granite Guru

Umm interesting.

Now I am glad I use Teraflex sleeves. They are both the same length. And I am pretty sure Nitro and EVO are also same length?
post #11 of 14 Old 06-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply View Post
Umm interesting.

Now I am glad I use Teraflex sleeves. They are both the same length. And I am pretty sure Nitro and EVO are also same length?
You mean between the D30/44 platforms?

Any sleeve pounded in too far can cause the same result.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmafia View Post
You mean between the D30/44 platforms?

Any sleeve pounded in too far can cause the same result.
Correct. But if you take a correct length sleeve you dont go pounding it in futher if its only 1/8" out of the tube, and push a seal in.

I have installed a few dozen sleeve kits and never once have I knocked a seal in.

I would assume the most common issue is a DIY guy sliding the shafts out and one or more of the 4 axle centering guide rings slide off the shaft and stay in the tube. Then once the sleeves are welded in, you have to replace the seals due to having to remove them to get the rings out.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-26-2015, 03:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech180 View Post

Tell David at NR that he owes you a PR D44 axle housing.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmafia View Post
Hey Tech,

It was good talking to you earlier, Sorry I had to be the bearer of bad news

Like you mentioned, I can not stress enough how important it is to just take a quick peek at the part numbers you receive from anyone or any distributor. I remember towards the end of my freshman year in college, it was finals week and my MP112 supercharger had just shown up for my LS engine. I was so gung-ho to get it installed I just started tearing things apart and had it on in roughly 2-3 hours only to find out I had been sent the wrong belt tensioner bracket, this was my DD, and I had a few finals in the upcoming hours.....

Not taking those finals was not one of my options. That was the most walking I've ever done in one day

Cheers.
Yup... been in this boat before... that was a lesson I won't forget. I had to replace the lower intake manifold gasket on the 94 ranger (4.0L) I was using for a DD. Didn't look at the box... took upper engine apart. By the time I realized I had the wrong part, it was 9pm... on a Saturday. Had to beg a ride to work Sunday and Monday. Then find that they had to order the part and didn't get it until Thursday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode