Axle + diff strength with locker - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Axle + diff strength with locker

Would a locker add stress to the axle housing, shafts, gears etc vs and open diff?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Not a simple yes or no answer, because once installed it will depend upon how much the locker is used. When not engaged it adds no stress, when it is engaged it increases stress on gears, shafts & housing, often significantly depending upon the situation. An automatic ;ocker like a Detroit is going to be harder on things than a selectable locker like an ARB, simply because the Detroit is essentially always engaged. It's a sound idea to upgrade axle shaft strength (material & spline count) and use a good quality gear set when upgrading to a locker.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So if I added an Aussie locker, my diff/axle shafts would be more prone to breaking than a stock open diff setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
So if I added an Aussie locker, my diff/axle shafts would be more prone to breaking than a stock open diff setup?
Not necessarily. But the answer is far longer than I care to type. You've got to remember that you'll be transmitting power to both tires instead of one....so you'll essentially have double the traction. All else being equal (same throttle input), double the traction = more stress on the housing, shafts, and gears. But with double the traction you likely won't need the same amount of throttle input to conquer the same obstacle so take that into account. From my experience, a poorly setup suspension that bounces under throttle (due to improper instant center placement), causing traction to be gained and lost, is harder on the axles than torque being transmitted through them. A fully locked Jeep with a proper suspension can traverse most obstacles with light throttle and, therefore, the vehicle will hold up for a very long time.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal and have been running 37" MTR's on a stock Dana 30 for over 2 years.

I'm interested in an Aussie locker for the price and ease of install however I don't want to be blowing axle shafts because of it.

Thanks for the answer!
post #6 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Long story short... yes . and it will usually be the short side on axle on the drivers side and most often at the U-Joint

It technically does not add more stress by installing it, but obstacles that once held you back enough where the Jeep simply would not climb due to the limited slip or open diff, will now be able to be driven because both tires are locked.... when one of those tires gets jammed up its still locked and usually transfers that torque to the axle shaft and UJ

I have an Aussie up front. I love it, and well worth the minimal cost. I bought a few stock axles as trail spared and a broken one is literally a fifteen minute trail fix

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #7 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 08:17 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

And I am very easy on the skinny pedal and try to make most of my climbs with proper line and slow crawling and I take pride in not spinning tires to climb an obstacle.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #8 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Have you broken many axles shafts so far?
post #9 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 09:22 PM

The Jk dana 30 is junk. Better than the tj 30 but it is still garbage. First off, even the rubicon 44s bend with even moderate crawling use, especially with 37s. 37s are the tricky tire because they exceed the complete reliability of a 1/2 or even 3/4 ton axle. That being said even Dana 60s break and its really about the way you drive it. When you start hopping up and down on rocks, you'll probably break a shaft. In my opinion, 37s are a game changer, and not meant for even an open 30.

Last edited by tk250r; 06-18-2015 at 09:25 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 10:18 PM
V8 dreams

I'm similar to asmmns, except I've yet to get some trail spares. 37s, Aussie in my 30, don't jump/hump my jeep up stuff. I have enjoyed the extra traction from such a cheap locker, and I refused to put too much into that axle. Been worth it so far

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #11 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

s'all about the driver and the line ... be ye not too proud to back-up & try a more optimal line? Don't wheel open diff D30 with 37s ...be ye wise and not proud + have spotters that know wtf they are doing and you can push the envelope and drive home smiling ... but beware you're playing a dangerous game ...tbh, the 30/44 axle is not bad at all until numbskullery gets behind it ...regardless of the tire size ...they just weren't made for these heavy wheels and tires we like to run ....every owner and rig is a totally different scenario and thank goodness for that !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 06:02 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Have you broken many axles shafts so far?
No shafts themselves.... but two u joints which resulted in some damage.

It is unbelievable easy to pull out the axle and throw in the new spare. I vowed not to sink money into the thirty other than the Aussie, gussets and skids and would upgrade when it goes.

so i am now at the point where if i buy another spare set of shafts its probably putting me into the wasting money category, but honestly. it works so well and I have not had any other issues yet.

post #13 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

If you ran chromoly shafts, do you think something else, more expensive would break?
post #14 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
If you ran chromoly shafts, do you think something else, more expensive would break?
Yes, your ring and pinion. Several people with d30s keep the stock shafts so they act as a weak link and break before your gears break. Its a lot easier and cheaper to change shafts rather than gears.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
Yes, your ring and pinion. Several people with d30s keep the stock shafts so they act as a weak link and break before your gears break. Its a lot easier and cheaper to change shafts rather than gears.
exactly

post #16 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Granite Guru

Just a couple of random thoughts:

- A traction aid in the front has the potential to reduce wheelspin which would reduce the possibility of a parts snapping hop.

- Lunchbox lockers eliminate the weak spider gears.

I chose to do a TrueTrac and heat treated 5.13 gears. Other than C gussets, the rest of my D30 is stock. I run heavy-ish (E-rated) 315 tires on alloy wheels.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 09:17 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

and then i see a thread like this and cant help my self..

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270906

cheap insurance !!!

post #18 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
and then i see a thread like this and cant help my self..

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270906

cheap insurance !!!
Haha! Yeah, that's a heckuva deal.

I don't know how many times I've thought about calling RWK to have him build me a new front axle. Thus far, though, I haven't broken mine so I can't bring myself to do it.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Rock God

fwiw I'm enjoying my e locker on the d30 with full artec truss/gusset and Yukon auto full case in back d44 with 35s immensely, it was when open open on 33s I spun lots of wheels, spit rocks and broke a u joint......

knock on wood
post #20 of 21 Old 06-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

I broke a stock u joint and shaft on my 30 with 33 iroks in the Florida mud with an Aussie locker... I was in rutts that couldn't be seen. I now have upgraded shafts. So with 37s and the addition of an Aussie I would recommend carrying trail spares with you. I'm going to be re gearing and going to a Detroit locker soon. Then will be 37 iroks.
post #21 of 21 Old 06-22-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Not necessarily. But the answer is far longer than I care to type. You've got to remember that you'll be transmitting power to both tires instead of one....so you'll essentially have double the traction. All else being equal (same throttle input), double the traction = more stress on the housing, shafts, and gears. But with double the traction you likely won't need the same amount of throttle input to conquer the same obstacle so take that into account. From my experience, a poorly setup suspension that bounces under throttle (due to improper instant center placement), causing traction to be gained and lost, is harder on the axles than torque being transmitted through them. A fully locked Jeep with a proper suspension can traverse most obstacles with light throttle and, therefore, the vehicle will hold up for a very long time.
Hi Folks, Cora from Aussie Locker here - Feel free to give me a call anytime if you have more questions - 585-723-14eighty nine

I would agree with Imped's comments, this has been our experience on the trails as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode