OHV and EVAP? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
OHV and EVAP?

My '12 JK with the automatic has become my toy, so now it's a OHV and I don't have to worry about emissions. In my state they don't have inspections for it now.

Recently I had an issue with contaminated fuel. And due to that incident had to replace my fuel pump. It also took out my EVAP canister.

My question is can i run my Jeep with out the EVAP canister? Had anyone done this before? What modifications do I have to make?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-16-2015, 03:53 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
My '12 JK with the automatic has become my toy, so now it's a OHV and I don't have to worry about emissions. In my state they don't have inspections for it now.

Recently I had an issue with contaminated fuel. And due to that incident had to replace my fuel pump. It also took out my EVAP canister.

My question is can i run my Jeep with out the EVAP canister? Had anyone done this before? What modifications do I have to make?
I would not do it.
First of all it will throw several codes

Second, its part of the fuel filling process and could make the tank hard to fill or spit back during filling.

Third, the fuel in the tank needs to expand and contract, the canister catches the fumes and will burn them at times to keep the canister empty and ready for more fuel vapors.

If you remove the canister from the system you will need to vent the tank. This will cause it to smell of fuel and potentially explode from the fuel vapors floating around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #3 of 7 Old 06-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
I would not do it . . . This will cause it to smell of fuel and potentially explode from the fuel vapors floating around.
Raise your hand if you remember pickups with the gas tank IN THE CAB, right behind the seat, and the fill neck just outside the driver's window. I grew up thinking a pickup should just smell that way. Still love the smell of gasoline fumes to this day.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Raise your hand if you remember pickups with the gas tank IN THE CAB,

My first pickup truck had the gas tank under the seat.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Exactly, older vehicles never had vapor/charcoal canisters. My old truck had the gas tank in front of the rear bumper and no EVAP canister.

I know they are not 'needed' and the jeep runs with it taken off. I have other issues to fix before I can take it to the trail again. Most likely having it removed will throw a code, but honestly will it effect how it well it runs?

And when I take it on the trail, if the EVAP canister is removed I know I will have to call and re route some lines so dirt and water don't get into the fuel system.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2015, 06:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've done some digging and asked about this a couple of times, but for a different reason (LS swap and fuel cell).

Short answer is, yes it can be removed. You'll get codes and you need to vent it.

I'm with the others on not being worried about it blowing up. Anybody with an old hotrod, dirt bike, lawn mower, you name it, has a fuel tank vented to atmosphere.

Kevin

Last edited by gt1guy; 06-17-2015 at 06:33 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Eventually I'm going to have an LS and a fuel cell but that build won't start for a few more years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode