1 ton build- Squishy brake pedal - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

1 ton build- Squishy brake pedal

Like stated i put junkyard axles under my jeep. The front has been done but i just finished the rear.
I started out bleeding the system. Still had a squishy pedal.
decided maybe i needed a bigger master cylinder so i did the teraflex/Dodge nitro MC upgrade.
Still had squishy brakes.
Took it to a shop and had them bleed them and they said there was no air in the system but the MC could have a bad seal and to replace it. (Shop said it was a common issue)
So i replaced the MC again making sure i bench bleed it properly again and then bled the entire system.
I still have soft/ squishy brake pedal.
The system has had 2 big bottles of fluid through it.
The jeep sat for a week with the rear brake lines disconnected during the build.
Is this a situation where the dealer has to bleed the ABS unit and then the system or what should i do.
Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Wheeler

You don't have to take it to a dealership. A independent shop or a friend that has a good scanner can do it. I just bought a 07 with soft brakes so I bled them with my scanner and problem was gone. Abs system prob holds some air.
Hope I helped..
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

what type of scanner do you need? I have a hypertech programmer that can read codes.
Do you just loosen the lines at the abs box or do you have to pressure the system?
How do the bleed them?
Thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Wheeler

I did a little research today for ya. Just to be sure but the only time you should need to bleed the abs system is if it went totaly dry... Did it? I used my scanner only because just like you I could not get a firm pedal. A hypertec programer will not work. You need a pro scanner with that option. Snap on, Mac, OTC will do the trick. You might have to take it to a shop. Just drive past the dealer! Did you replace the rubber lines? Also check for a leak it might not show it's face easily. Have a buddy stand on the pedal while you look around with a flashlight.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2015, 09:26 PM
Wheeler

Also don't crack the lines at the abs unit. Pressure bleed at the wheels.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I think the rear could have gone dry due to the system sitting open for so long. I dont really have to many options on shops because im in a small town.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 AM
JKowners Vendor

Mine has a PR 60 with the big brake kit and a pr80. sat 2 weeks with frt and rear lines open. I just did a old fashioned brake bleed, don't like any of the new ways. Brakes are perfect and stops about a good as any sports car I've had. I'm using the stock '11 MC and see no reason to upgrade.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode