Dismounting a tire from a rim... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Dismounting a tire from a rim...

So I'm thinking about replacing my Steelies with Beadlocks. But my tires still have at least 20k miles in them so I was thinking I would swap the tires I have onto the new rims. Is this something I could DIY? How hard is it to pull a tire off the rim, and do you need special tools?

The tires in question are Toyos 37" x 13.50 r17. I think mounting them onto the Beadlocks will be pretty easy just time consuming, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Wheeler

Dismounting those tires is a bitch without a machine. Take them to a shop who deals with tires over 35", otherwise you run the risk of them chunking the sidewall trying to break the bead. You can mount the beadlocks yourself, but dismounting is best with a machine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 7 Old 06-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Rock God

^^^What he said. I tried the harbor freight version and bent it within seconds. Then I did the hi-lift jack under a bumper trick. That resulted in a broken wrist. So, after two days of effort, lots of driving, and a $150, I drove them over to discount tire and they did it in about 10 minutes and didn't even charge me. Sometimes there are things that are easier done by someone else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

If you don't have the right tools it will be very hard and potentially dangerous. Theres a lot of forces and leverages involved with changing a tire...
Potential teeth breakage(and wrist apparently, from ^^^) even with a machine if you don't know what your doing.
I say that from working at a tire shop in the past.

Don't be cheap on something like this... You need them balanced if you drive it much, so you would have to take them to a shop anyway if you were in fact able to mount them yourself.

Last edited by Stangbuster; 06-11-2015 at 08:04 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

For just dismounting, I'd take them to a shop. I've done it before, and got pretty good at the hi lift on the bumper trick. Pulling the bead off of the backside is the hardest part (you need tire bars, at least. Probably 3 or 4. You pull the inner bead off first, then the outer). When I did it, I was pulling stock sized tires off of my 15's and my 18" Sahara wheels. 9 in total and it took me 5 hours.

Worth it? Maybe. I needed it done and the shop didn't have the time. Took me two evenings but it worked. Good tire bars are key, and lots of dish soap, no water added. Mounting the bead locks is going to be the most time consuming part.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #6 of 7 Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ok thanks guys. I'll look into having a tire shop take them off for me. Definitely sounds like it's not something I want to be involved with, lol
post #7 of 7 Old 06-12-2015, 08:08 AM
Granite Guru

yeah, Les Schwab quoted me 4.25 a tire for dismounts, cheaper than 4 tire irons from harbor freight

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode