Lift kit upgrade...? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lift kit upgrade...?

Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble finding a concrete answer on this subject. My finally plan for my jeep is to have one ton axles, with a 4 inch lift, and 37 inch tires. But at the current time, I only have a D30 axle in the front. I currently have a set of 35" tires, so I will need a lift to put them on. Should I just go ahead and do the 4 inch lift, or can I do a 2.5 inch lift, and then upgrade it down the road with larger/longer coils? Excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Rock God

If your end goal is a 4" lift it doesn't make sense to do a 2.5" in the meantime cause you'll end up losing money. No 2.5" lift comes with everything you need to have a decent driving 4" lift.

If you are flexible on the lift height you could run 2.5" lift with 35's then add flat fenders later and run 37's on the same lift.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-09-2015, 05:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

I was planning 37 or 40s so when I saw a sweet deal on 4" coils I jumped on them. Now that I have them in with my 33s that have life left and seeing what's involved with 4" I would not go that high again

2.5-3" with flat fenders and trimming is the way to go for 37s and maybe even 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-09-2015, 07:34 AM
JKowners Vendor

If you had a system like our 2.5" X Factor you could easily jump to 3.5 to 4" of lift retaining all the same components (just swap out the center pins on the disconnects and shocks) and be good to go.

Like others mentions, if your goal is 37's - 2.5" with flat fenders is a great place to be!

RK
post #5 of 11 Old 06-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
If you had a system like our 2.5" X Factor you could easily jump to 3.5 to 4" of lift retaining all the same components (just swap out the center pins on the disconnects and shocks) and be good to go.

Like others mentions, if your goal is 37's - 2.5" with flat fenders is a great place to be!

RK

That's all that's needed with any complete kit whether its Metalcloak, Synergy, AEV, Teraflex, Currie, or any other manufacturer that sells complete kits.

It's pretty easy.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post

RK
Upon looking at your response, I went over to your website to do a little looking around. I noticed the stock mod kit was far cheaper than most of your kits, and looks to simply be drop links and coils. Looks like it would get me able to stuff the 35s for now, and allow me to build later without wasting my money on stuff that will need to be replaced. Other than the coils obviously. I read around, and most people said you will need to extend the brake lines, which I assumed anyway. But other than that, I don't see much other modification being needed. No drive shaft mods yet, and it doesn't look like any steering modifications need to be made. I did see the "Flighty" steering come up, but after driving a lifted F250 on 40 inch tires, I doubt the jeep will be very "Flighty" at all for me. Maybe I'm wrong?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bump for a little info. Upon doing more research, I have looked into the Budget Boost kits. My idea behind this is to use the BB and wheel on the D30 and 35s until something gives out, and then get into a more in-depth build. When I do decide to go higher, I wont lose as much money on the BB.

Also, does the BB need the exhaust spacers for a 15 wrangler unlimited?

And What size spacers are needed to run 35s with stock wrangler rims, and a 2.5 inch BB?
post #8 of 11 Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Rock God

Sounds like what you need is to determine how realistic your end goal is. If your end goal (1 tons and 37's on 4" lift) is more of a dream than reality, why sell yourself short on a budget boost when a coil lift is only slightly more? If your end goal of 37's is actually achievable, who gives a shit what you do now. A budget boost or a mild coil lift is a drop in the bucket compared to what your about to spend on 1 tons and 37's on a 4" lift so with that kind of budget to work with, I don't know why your really worried about a starter lift to run 35's for now.

You can either spend money on a budget boost that you will reuse NOTHING out of, or you can start putting together a 2.5" lift that you can grow into your dream 4" lift. If you put some thought into the components you buy and use, you could work yourself into a 4" lift by starting with a 2.5" lift and not having to replace anything but the coils (or add a spacer to the 2.5" coils).
post #9 of 11 Old 06-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Wheeler

Garage

If you plan on doing fenders and flares down the road, you could always do the fenders now and the suspension later. I know if you run Metalcloak fenders and flares on your JK you will have no problem running 35" tires on stock suspension. Just another option for you.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakedJK View Post
If you plan on doing fenders and flares down the road, you could always do the fenders now and the suspension later. I know if you run Metalcloak fenders and flares on your JK you will have no problem running 35" tires on stock suspension. Just another option for you.
That's not a bad idea.

http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangle...rmor-s/253.htm

Metalcloak also has some nice starter 2.5" lifts that can grow into a 3.5"+ lift also.

http://www.metalcloak.com/Metalcloak...Kits-s/231.htm
post #11 of 11 Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
Sounds like what you need is to determine how realistic your end goal is. If your end goal (1 tons and 37's on 4" lift) is more of a dream than reality, why sell yourself short on a budget boost when a coil lift is only slightly more? If your end goal of 37's is actually achievable, who gives a shit what you do now. A budget boost or a mild coil lift is a drop in the bucket compared to what your about to spend on 1 tons and 37's on a 4" lift so with that kind of budget to work with, I don't know why your really worried about a starter lift to run 35's for now.

You can either spend money on a budget boost that you will reuse NOTHING out of, or you can start putting together a 2.5" lift that you can grow into your dream 4" lift. If you put some thought into the components you buy and use, you could work yourself into a 4" lift by starting with a 2.5" lift and not having to replace anything but the coils (or add a spacer to the 2.5" coils).
MY end goal is one tons and 37s, yes, but that is years down the road. I want to be able to take the jeep out for now and still get it through smaller trails. Working on a military salary and waiting for parts at good prices is going to slow my build down a lot. I don't honestly foresee getting the one tons built for at least a year, possibly a year and a half to two years. Obviously I don't want to have a jeep sitting stock for the better part of two years while I source out parts. I can't find solid answers for most kits as to what would have to be switched out to go from 2.5 inch to 4 inch. People either say you can't do it, or you can only do much, and it seems to be different with each brand. I'm just trying to figure out where to start either with a lift kit and build, or just start completely over once I'm ready to get into bigger axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode