Hemi Swap/Converting to Auto trans help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-07-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hemi Swap/Converting to Auto trans help

Hey guys,

Im in the finishing stages of my Jeep Speed Shop 5.7 Hemi swap and I've run into a bump in the road. My 08 JKU was a 6 Speed manual and I installed a 08 Hemi/545RE. This has been an up hill project from the start...lol Anyhow, I cant seem to get power to the trans. I followed the very un detailed instructions on pining out the C-100 connector to the fuse box connectors C-1 and C-2. Checked, triple checked and had two other certified techs quadruple check to verify connections. Still no power to the trans.

Has anyone been down this road?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Granite Guru

Try to get a second set of eyes on it. There have been times when I "see" what I think I see instead of seeing what is really there. Its easy to get tunnel vision on projects like that.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Wheeler

Where are you? I have been through the same thing and might can help. Hard to get the right connectors sometimes and I had your same issue at first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm just south west of OKC 15 minutes. I think I may have found the issue (fingers crossed). I was moving my relays around to see it would cause a different issue and make the current one go away. Sure enough, I managed to find a bad relay in the TIPM. Today, I am gonna buy a new one and drop it in to see what happens. Will post pictures of a jk smoking 35 inch tires if this works
post #5 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Hey Pete, heading down this path very soon and would like to know any other issues you've had with your kit, would you care to share??
Rod
post #6 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sure will Rod, Feel free to email [email protected] or if your not in any hurry I plan on posting up a detailed write up here. All and all it's not too difficult but if there were any instructions included it would have been helpful for a few specific details. I DL'd the AEV instruction for reference, some of it was helpful most of it wasn't much better than not having anything at all.

Feel free to hit me up
post #7 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

So if you did it again would you use the AEV kit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks Pete, will give you holler through your email.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
So if you did it again would you use the AEV kit?
I have seen a few AEV Jeeps here, their kit is a bit more refined but I was told their customer support in terrible. Though I had a few struggles with the JSS kit, mostly getting a few missing parts in a timely manner and a lack of real instruction but their customer support is pretty darn good. Mechanically it was an easy swap.... I ended up having to buy a lot of parts roughly $2500 worth to complete the kit. One of my biggest struggles was the trans mount, their parts list was inaccurate and I ended up purchasing several parts that would not work for my application and it ended up being trial and error.

The details like radiator reservoirs, A/C and P/S lines could be better engineered as I ended up making my own at a local shop. Todd did state that their kits for the VVT motors are much more "put together" as the non VVT kits where being phased out and did not get much support from engineering. I suggest buying their radiator right away... I am currently using the the stock radiator, causes a few fitment issues with the hoses on their parts list and I am not confident it will keep this thing cool in the high heat.

The parts that where supplied where top notch including the exhaust.
I just felt like I paid a lot of money for what I thought was an engineered kit then I ended up having to do a lot of the engineering on the mechanical side.

Electronics/wiring harness is top notch, no complaints at all.

Fit and finish is pretty darn good too. Again I did have to make my own PS lines as the supplied lines did not work with my PS pump (truck motor) and I am still waiting for the rest of my A/C lines (s). I tend to be a loyal customer if treated right, that goes a long way with me. I did try to contact AEV some time back to ask about a suspension kit that they installed on a JK here. They kind of had me hacked after spending 2 hours on hold only to get hung up on. Todd will call you back if you leave a message, kudos to that.

As for those of you having any question on doing a HEMI swap.....Just the V8 rumble alone makes it worth it.

Last edited by petethekiller; 06-09-2015 at 01:24 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Granite Guru

I got the VVT kit and had the same issues.. the AC line didn't fit, had to make a PS line, and I still don't know how the radiator reservoir is supposed to fit. I'm also still looking for an air inlet hose to go from the intake to the jss adapter. my 2011 intake hose doesn't fit.
I also had to use the top holes in the motor mounts or my fan motor would hit the water pump.
I can't say I'd use the AEV kit instead. I do wish there were better instructions with the JSS kit and it took a long time to get all the parts.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Wheeler

Hemi Swap/Converting to Auto trans help

I used the Jss kit and used the ac lines and power steering hoses supplied. I bought the radiator and shroud and it is a must to keep it cool. I studied Jss, aev and one other set of instructions before I started and it went fairly well. I do feel I could write better instructions though.

Last edited by rcrupper; 06-09-2015 at 06:19 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just a quick update.... Installing the relay did not correct the issue. Todd contacted HOT Wires and set up some support, they spent a short time on the phone asking me to check continuity from the TIPM to the connector at the PCM. They where not able to tell me specifically which relay I need to be looking at but my best guess is #K5 (PCM) relay in the TIPM.

So tired of chasing wires..... If I find that continuity is good, they state either PCM or TIPM is bad.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Wheeler

Im sure you have seen these but i'm attaching a picture of what connectors are what in the tipm.. I had the same issue and finally figured out I had a wire wrong..

Let me get home tonight and send you some pictures of where they go.. there were a couple of misleading colors on the connectors and such and it can get crazy... don't give up as mine worked fine when I finally found it..

I will try to post pictures on here to help others as well.

rob
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf AEV_JK_HEMI_Transmission_Conversion.pdf (74.2 KB, 200 views)
post #14 of 18 Old 06-10-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info, I'll take a stab at it tonight after work to see what I can find....
post #15 of 18 Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

I will try to get some pics of where I put the wires but that is what I went by. I did end up replacing my tipm but for other reasons.

post #16 of 18 Old 06-13-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Problem Solved! It was just a pin that wanst making good contact in the C1 connector to the TPIM.

Took it out for a test drive, man this thing shifts AWESOME! JSS did a killer job programming the TCM/PCM. Shifts very firm and quickly, part throttle kick-down is a blast! Just like every Hemi powered Dodge truck I've owned, acceleration is a tad soft from a dead stop until it his 3000 RPM then its "Game On". From a slow roll it's a Monster....very happy with the overall performance.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Wheeler

Glad to hear.

post #18 of 18 Old 06-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Granite Guru

I agree that the magic really happens at 3000 but mine lights up my 38s with 5:13 gears.
I had a similar problem with the trans connector. 2 pushed pins. That infixed last week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode